2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Improve exhaust sound on 1.6 I-Dtec

11K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Haltamer 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 1.6 I-Dtec Civic and I was wondering if anyone found anything for their 9G to improve its sound; I found a four-exhaust system by Fox but (as always for this car) I couldn't find anything more than that and I think that it's quite.. exaggerated for a car like this.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a super expensive exhaust to sound like a supercharged Camaro, I'm searching something "in the middle" just to have a better and deeper sound on it but I'm totally ignorant about exhaust systems, especially on diesel cars.

I heard about terminal units but I still can't understand if they really improve your car sound or anything (and I still can't find one for my car).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :grin2:

#3 ·
Yeah I've seen that but there is no description and I really don't understand what had been changed in the exhaust and if it is actually verifiable, if I have to spend 1200€ for an exhaust I'll stick to my actual hybrid-like sound :p

Anyway yeah, that's what I'd like a lot [smilie=yum.gif] if you have informations about that kind of exhaust let me know!

#5 ·
Oh.. Well, as I said I'm pretty ignorant in matter.

Anyway I think that's considered illegal in Italy (am I wrong?), I would like to get something verifiable if possible (this is why it is so hard for me to find something) and not so much expensive, just an improvement of the sound without being too much excessive while being still legal on road.

I know, I badly formulated my question :facepalm:

#7 ·
Why would you want a diesel to sound louder would be my first question? If you had a nice V6 or V8, I could understand - but louder diesel?
Cheaper option if you were so inclined would be to remove a resonator in your exhaust (one in the middle), but leave you CAT in place to meet emission laws..

In the USA, peeps have removed resonators on 10G Type R's to get a louder exhaust note, but for me, they are fine the way they are.

Reactions: Kremmen
#15 ·
Well of course if I could own a Type-R or similar I wouldn't be here asking about a "cheap" exhaust for my 1.6 :razz:

As I said I don't want something illegal, also because here in Italy they would uncover it immediatly, I don't even want to remove DPF or something else; the thing is I heard about terminal units that can slightly increase sound (or other exhaust parts I am not aware of) and I would like to have a deeper sound but since this car is quite rare also parts are impossible to find, especially here in Italy.

I already saw that straight pipe video and I actually loved the sound it makes but of course I suppose it would be quite hard to find something similar and verifiable at the same time.

Guess I'll keep searching this mythological creature

#18 ·
The problem with home grown solutions is that you won't really know how it's going to perform until it's done, fitted and you've paid your money.

What might sound nice and sporty at idle or when you blip the throttle with no load may become incredibly annoying on long motorway drives with resonance and vibrations. Even some of the well respected aftermarket exhaust manufacturers get this wrong sometimes - i had a milltek non-res on my vRS but removed it after a 5 minute test run - it was way too loud and droned so loud you'd have got a headache in no time. :)

As above, i don't think the diesel sounds particularly nice (unless you're a fan of tractors?) so i don't see why you'd want it louder - no amount of customising will ever make it sound like a alfa v6, ferrari v8, porsche v10, lexus lfa etc etc.

#19 ·
Well I'd just like something with a little deeper sound since I actually like the stock sound but I improved my car with the Bluespark box and the Type-R spoiler (yes, I like it and I know what people thinks :attention:) so I wanted to change the sound a little bit to make it more "sport" like even if it misses like 200hp but who cares, here you can see mostly Fiat Panda and Punto so my car looks like a spaceship to the others all the time :p

Anyway what I'd like is just a little improvement, that's why I'm really struggling to find something with a deeper sound but still legal and at the same time not exaggerated, I actually like a lot that 2.5" straight pipe sound but as many said it's illegal, I'm not searching a V8 music of course but as I said I'm too much ignorant in matter to find the thing I'm searching.

I'll keep trying to find something and if I will ever find something, I'll write it down since I can't be the only madman searching for a better exhaust for a diesel car (or maybe not?).

To zdziseq: thanks for the suggestion but I think that's illegal too [smilie=nope.gif]

#20 ·
I think you could probably get the desired effect by cuttting out a resonator or similar; If you've got a breakers where you could grab a 1.6 exhaust and try cutting out the center resonator, you could bolt that on and see how it sounds - If you don't like it, pop the original system back on and you can try tinkering with different backboxes on the spare system.

#21 ·
Thought I'd tag on to this to ask for the same sort of question for my 2.2!

I've only ever had Petrol engines but I'm really liking this Diesel. It pulls like a train and I need the sensible economy now.

But, boy does it sound dull. Is there a way to make it sound a little more interesting? Is it worth modifying the induction on a Diesel? Does that make a difference?

#23 ·
Well I've read conflicting things, and that diesel's tend to be more picky with how they're run.

I've read something about the oils they use on panel filters can harm the engine if sucked in. I've read they can negatively affect engine performance. I've read they need more closely moderated air temperature. Etc.!

I'm really not clued up on Diesel's enough to risk doing something that might damage the car.

At the end of the day, it's a diesel family hatchback. But to me it's still got a fair dose of horsepower, and a whooooshy turbo! Part of me likes the quietness of the exhaust, but I do miss the rumble of a petrol!

#24 ·
I've had a K/N filter for a fiesta previously it didn't cause any problems but that was petrol. I think issues arise from the filter being soaked in the oil it uses? I've seen a few posts on here that have people using the filters with diesels without any issue. I'm online right now looking for a decently priced one.

#25 ·
Just behind the filter sits the MAF sensor; The mass air flow sensor.

It uses the cooling of a heated wire to measure the passage of air, and moderate the air fuel ratios. On the civic, it also incorporates the intake air temperature sensor.

Over the last ~2 years I've never had any issues with MAF oiling; and most reports seem to be exaggerated or down to people absolutely soaking the filter (Completely dripping wet) and then having issues; The worst possible outcome is that you have to buy a fiver can of MAF cleaner and give it a quick spray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.