2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

LED brake/tail lights

Electrics 
3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Wilmo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I've almost finished my led tail light conversion [emoji6]

I went to hook it up today plugged it in ..
Yes I did the probe orientation test with a multimeter which was

Tail light +ve
brake +ve
ground which is commend up for both

When I put my side lights on they worked fine but when I press the brake pedal nothing lights up...

And when I turn "off" the side lights and try my brake pedal still nothing [emoji50][emoji19] [emoji2955]

So I switch it back to bulbs works completely fine confused indeed [emoji848]

My question is is there any tech person who knows out there what is going on and how to sort it

(Pint will be paid for [emoji6][emoji38])

Pics so far ..

The load is 480-500mA side lights for each light so that's 1A

And brake light is 1780mA for each light so total is 4-5A

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#8 ·
Have you pushed the connectors in far enough. When I installed my option connector and plugged my dashcam in nothing. Even though plugged in, just wasn't far enough to make connection.
As rear lights come on so getting power, have you tried putting brake light power cable into rear light cable socket (surmising that won't cause a electrical issue) just to see if they light up then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I think that the load resistor is just to fool the canbus system that you have a 'normal' bulb in circuit. If your car does not have canbus on the brake lights, then the load resistor is not needed.
Regardless, the LEDs should light up anyway, but if canbus'd will possibly show that you have a blown brake light.

#12 ·
I have replaced all the rear lights in my FN2 with LED no problems at all, except the indicators.
Tried them but they went into hyperflash so put the originals back in.

I guess it depends who you buy them from as to whether they work or not.

#17 ·
ALL SOLVED [emoji16][emoji23][emoji1787]

Tried it first with 1string of each 1 for brake and 1 for tail and works brilliant might have to dumb down the brightness of the brake light but I think the red reflector will do this just nicely [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.