2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Shows ~6km/h too little?

Speedo 
947 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  nturnb 
#1 ·
Hi!

2006 Civic FK3 2.2CDTI Hatchback showing too little on the speedo; We have to drive in ~56km/h in the 50-zone to go 50km/h.
Is there a way to adjust this anywhere? I haven't seen anything in the menu about this, only the +/- 6°C on the outside temperature adjustment :b

Kind regards
// Chris-Mario

#3 ·
Sounds like it is regular overreading; The easiest way to get an idea of true speed is with a GPS.

If you drive at a steady speed, see what the GPS gives you and you can work out a slight offset.

An over read is normal, as it's not permitted for the speedo to under read at all, manufacturers tend to err on the safe side and under read. with option wheels etc. this can be amplified.

Unfortunately, there isn't really an option for getting the speedometer calibrated - I did have a look in the UK to see if I could get the speedometer calibrated similarly to Police speedometers, but there isn't a service accessible to the general public that I've found.

#10 ·
Thank you all for your answers :D

I've checked vs. GPS, and in 50km/h (car speedo) I drive 56km/h steady (on the GPS)

The wheels on now are standard winter-rims/tyres; 205/50-16 (I think..? Or maybe around 205/55-16)
- but that's besides the point; Yes, they are the standard rated winter-size atleast. I drove it home on summer-rims/tyres when I got it and it showed the same on the 17" standards/OEMs
So it's kinda odd :b

But, I see the point of manufacturers "safeing" themselves against tons of lawsuits because "well my car said I only did x-amount of speed not my fault"

If it's normal and not to worry about, then alright :)

Thanks for the replies. Y'all amazing on here :D <3

#15 ·
My old 2.2 pre-facelift at 61mph on the dash was 56mph on the GPS. I know all cars over read but does this mean that they also add too many miles as well? Maybe there's a boffin out there who can answer. I remember watching a documentary on the Manchester Constabulary traffic workshop and the first thing the do when preparing a police car is to calibrate the speedo to that it reads the actual, so plod's correct :wink3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.