2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

do i need a new speedo unit or i can reset it

Speedo 
4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JOCK1969 
#1 ·
hi there.
ive bought a civic 09 from salvage and ive fix everything and it work fine.the speedometer was faulty so i replace it with a second hand one and it work,my only problem is the milage on it is 22000 mile and my car has done only 2000 mile,how do i get it reset and how much is a new one.or do anyone know were i can buy 1 with a lower milage.*****

#2 ·
You would need to buy a lower milage one and get it clocked up i don't see a dealer clocking it back illegally someone might if its possible with Civic Mileometer

You need to either get a new one from Honda or a used one with less than 2000 miles on it to get it clocked up

#6 ·
well, ive contact them to reset it and according to them it cant be change. i thought that they could synchronise it to my car s computer or somthing but they say there nothing they can do.if any one knows where i can it reset that would be nice.

#8 · (Edited)
Not too sure if the Honda system is the same, but to give you an idea of what may be required, I'll tell you about the PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) odometer (mileage) storage system:

The vehicle mileage is stored in the Engine ECU, Speedometer Assembly, and the BSI (Built-in Systems Interface, the main body computer). When ever one of these components is replaced, the one with the highest mileage becomes the default for the other two components, i.e. if a set of clocks (speedo) from a 50,000 mile vehicle is fitted to a 20,000 mile vehicle, all three components will now read 50,000 miles. The only way to reset the mileage is to replace all three components at the same time, the idea being that it makes it hideously expensive to clock the mileage.

Reactions: afro
#9 ·
The normal way to do this (but it's to late for you) is the following:
- you go to a dealer with your car and the old dashboard still mounted
- the Honda diagnostic tool reads the odometer for your car and stores it
- you/dealer mount the new dashboard and the stored data is transferred to the new/secondhand dashboard in your car from the HDS

The dealer is right: at this moment they can do nothing anymore.

#12 ·
Hi there, I have a similar problem and I need to replace my speedo/rev counter unit. Can you confirm that I can buy a second hand one and fit it. Will it need coded to the car or will it be plug and go. I can lay my hands on one that is reading only 118 miles more than my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.