2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Rojer's 2.2 Type S

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Rojer 
#1 ·
Never thought i would own an 8th gen Civic, but here we are. I have previously owned at least 8 other Honda's ranging from EG/EK to MB and Accord. Also owned MX5, Clio 182, S3 8P amongst others.

Before we start on the latest purchase, thought i would reminisce with some old pictures of my last EG from a few years ago, which was a 1.5 auto with around 24k on it when i started. Had a bumper to bumper mechanical restoration with a B16A conversion, manual, disc brakes etc etc.

Anyways onto the new car. I was looking around for a new daily as the Fabia VRS seemed to be slowly killing itself, with that in mind i started looking around the usual sites. Came across the Type S in diesel with good miles, history and seemed to be a sensible price. Went down to see it and the deal was done.

The car wasn't perfect, but nothing that couldn't be fixed easy enough. First mod was change to the Type R gear knob i had lying around.

Stripped out the rear because i found a water leak. Ended up being cracked seam sealer on the roof gutters so that's been sorted now.

The next job was the Aux belt, as you can see it was a bit past it. Getting the new belt back on was a bit of a mission, but its done now!

After that i spoke to Fahad at Premier, he was local to me on that day so i asked him to come and check out the car. We ran it through all the Honda diag tests and it passed without issue. He said the car was a good one! I decided to blank the EGR and go with a stage one remap. Sadly the clutch started to slip so i took it back off a few days later. Currently the car is running the stock map with the EGR delete and im very happy with that.

The next saga was the exhaust manifold. Fahad told me that it was cracked so i booked it into my local dealer. They confirmed it was cracked and Honda UK would only cover parts and i had to pay labour. I tried my best, but in the end i couldn't get anymore from them. Labour was £500+ so not cheap, but at least i don't have any fumes or noises.

With the service due in another couple of thousand i decided, as im going to Edinburgh this week, to carry it out sooner rather than later for piece of mind. Got in contact with Cox and ordered everything i needed.

Oil Filter
Engine Oil
Air Filter
Pollen Filter
Fuel Filter
Gearbox Oil
Wiper blades
Oil filter removal tool

Also changed the rear pads and discs at the same time, all went smoothly apart from the fuel filter as someone had done it up so tight last time, i had to take it to a garage to get it loosened up. Car now drives lovely. Last thing i need to do is alignment and probably replace one of the tyres as it has a nail in the side! All four where just replaced in December as well :(

Final job for now is to fit the double din stereo, it sucks not having my Spotify, Waze, DAB, Bluetooth etc. All the parts should arrive today/tomorrow so looking forward to the next update.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks i used to be a mechanic and then worked in bodyshops etc. Again thanks, its not a car i ever thought i would own as i never really cared for the 8th gen (secretly it's growing on me a bit, apart from the high driving position) It seems to be ticking along nicely so long may it continue, not sure what other plans i have for it as i am supposed to be saving for somewhere to live...

#13 ·
So update from last night....I took the car apart, got the old stereo out fairly easy, probably within 30mins. I did struggle with that top trim tho and snapped one clip so may need to replace that. Took the passenger side A pillar off to fit the DAB aerial and then fitted the mic on the driver's one. Running the cables was pretty easy, attached them to the factory looms and ran them into the stereo area. I did take out the glove box to make my life a little easier. I then ran into an issue as i couldn't for the life of me figure out how the brackets attached to my stereo. Luckily enough i had some help from Danith this morning who sent me pictures of his and now it all makes sense. So all i have to do is put it back together basically. I tested the stereo, upgraded the firmware and tested the steering wheel buttons and its all working fine.

I would consider myself a fountain of knowledge on this job now! So if anyone needs help or advice then just ask. I have a few pics currently, will have some more once back together.

#15 ·
Sadly the car has gone back to Honda this morning. When the exhaust manifold was replaced i checked it when i got home and could smell coolant. I thought it would just be the odd drip so thought nothing of it. Sadly it seems to be leaking a bit more. After a drive you can smell the coolant under the bonnet and you can hear it dropping onto the exhaust manifold. You can also see it on the drive.

Dropped it off this morning, lets hope its an easy fix. Pretty sure they were rushing to get the job done on the day so hopefully something small. If they say they can't find a leak or tell me its fixed and i still have water on the drive i am going to be very upset lets put it that way!

#16 ·
Ooooo i can feel this is going to escalate. Honda rang me just now and said two problems. First oil leak from EGR. Don't really care about that, it has been blanked and a small coolant leak from one of the pipes. They are also trying to charge me for the work which i kicked off about so i'm waiting for the service manager of the group to call me and discuss.

It only started happening after their work and they are telling me its a separate issue and they never touched that pipe etc etc. Not impressed so far that's for sure, already have to keep paying for Uber's to get there and back as they don't have a courtesy car and if they did they want bloody £25 for it!

#17 ·
Got the car back from Honda, the short version is that i was being over paranoid and it doesn't have a leak...

I had a look under the car on the ramps in Honda, all was good. They actually did a better job on the manifold then i thought. The car is actually pretty clean underneath as well.

The leak on the ground is from the AC/Heater drain, which i could see with the trays off, the liquid i could hear burning off on the manifold is from the AC pipes above i the exhaust i assume and the smell i guess is coming from the expansion bottle.

I still may take it to TGM or somewhere just to be 100% sure and get a check over.

#19 ·
Generally nothing much to report on the car, done another oil and filter service with genuine parts about 1000 miles ago and it's running well. I have purchased some Accord CU2 calipers, discs, new pads, fluid, lines and 15mm spacers. That will be fitted next Saturday so i expect a drastic performance increase from the brakes! Sadly i noticed something wrong with the panel gaps around the headlight recently so i took it all apart yesterday and found all this!

I was not impressed to say the least! Luckily i can't see anything structural wrong or any evidence to show it's been in an accident. Everything else still looks original. Going to price up all the parts i need and get it done after the brakes.

#20 ·
Last Saturday I was very hungover and took the car to Chris at Beaniesport to have the brakes done. Parts to swap were calipers, discs, pads, Goodridge lines, Ferrodo fluid and 15mm spacers.

Had a look around at the rest of the car underneath and it all seems good. Job went without issue. The pedal isn't as firm as I thought it would be, I was thinking it would be rock hard, but still has quite a bit of travel. Did bleed it a couple times to be sure and that's just what you get it seems. Would i need to change the MC/Servo??

Another chunk of money down the drain for not that much gain it would seem, but to be fair I haven't really tested them properly so maybe once I try a bit harder I will notice a difference. Just thought I would get a bit more instant bite and a firmer pedal.

Got quite a bit of vibration at motorway speeds through the wheel, so going to get all the tyres balanced and get the alignment done. The alignment keeps going out every month and it's getting on my nerves! The discs/pads are used but seem in good condition (i do have new pads) i hope the discs are not causing the vibrations or the spacers etc.

Not gonna spend anymore on this apart from sorting that light and maintenance. Save for a GTR!

#21 ·
Just had the alignment and balancing done, both were out. Alignment is better now, although not perfect due to probably 100k suspension. Vibration wise it's still there so going to replace the pads and the discs and hopefully that sorts it otherwise i'm lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.