2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Under Tray

17K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  casper_uk 
#1 ·
Just before my holiday, 30 miles away from home on motorway suddenly something "under" my car started scratching the road :grin2: so once I had a chance to stop I noticed front of my under tray gone off...... Had no jacks as I left it in my old car decided to go on kerb so I could go in and temporarily fix it.. I bent it and placed under plastic thing..

Got a new one from coxmotorparts £46 today however no fixings with it(£2.5 each, need 7). Any ideas if I could use the old ones? Car jack will be enough for me to slide under and fix it myself? It's an easy enough job for me to do myself but idk if I fit under haha

See less See more
#2 ·
These are essentially fast-access service hatches. So they should just slide/come out once unscrewed.

If the fasteners are still present, it probably isn't worth renewing - UNLESS it was the failure of one that led to the damage. Probably worth a spray of Zinc rich primer on each fastener as they seem to be rusting nicely.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If the fasteners are still present, it probably isn't worth renewing - UNLESS it was the failure of one that led to the damage. Probably worth a spray of Zinc rich primer on each fastener as they seem to be rusting nicely.
Seeing how often these undertrays (And especially the screw-areas) are rusting up, it's rather tempting to pop it off and give it a quick rattle can (Or even a powdercoat...)

#9 ·
They might be "sacrificial" to stop the aluminium or whatever undertray rusting. Another way might be to install thin pure Zinc washers to take all the "electrolytic load"

Regardless, the tray probably forms an important part in these modern cars, keeping the temps stable etc. Removing might not go unnoticed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#10 ·
The exact same happened to me.

You can get the screw and nuts fairly cheaply. Search for U-nuts or speed fasteners. I got some ‘pearly wot nots’ from my local car parts place for about 50p each with bolt. Drilled a few new holes in the plastic tray and aluminium as the original holes had become unusable, now its more secure than new and i can buy replacement ones cheaply.

Reactions: Farqui
#11 ·
Just before my holiday, 30 miles away from home on motorway suddenly something "under" my car started scratching the road :grin2: so once I had a chance to stop I noticed front of my under tray gone off...... Had no jacks as I left it in my old car decided to go on kerb so I could go in and temporarily fix it.. I bent it and placed under plastic thing..

Got a new one from coxmotorparts £46 today however no fixings with it(£2.5 each, need 7). Any ideas if I could use the old ones? Car jack will be enough for me to slide under and fix it myself? It's an easy enough job for me to do myself but idk if I fit under haha
its not £46 anymore more like £110 ouch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.