2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

What Servicing Should I Do??

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Dan_fn2_ 
#1 ·
Hi All,

First time posting on here as just bought a 2007 Type R FN2 this week. It's only got 3800 miles (not a typo!) as the one owner before just kept it in his garage it's whole life really since new. It's never been out in the rain! As you can imagine it's in mint condition and even still smells like the showroom. I feel like it was a pretty rare find....and a bargain at only £8k?

Anyway, it's only had 2 services in its life due to not being driven much so am wondering what, if anything, I should have done to it straight away? I have spoken to local Honda dealer (where it was purchased and serviced) and they said it's up to me how much I do to it but suggested perhaps changing spark plugs and transmission fluid, as well as usual air filters etc. Spark plugs are pretty expensive however and feel like performance of car would make it obvious they were on the way out?

Anyone have any opinions on this? I'm not sure what may need to be done due to age vs. very low mileage?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Rob

#2 ·
Age wise, fluids.
Coolant, depending how often it's been used, AC may need re-gassing (And possibly seals), Brake fluid (It's very old now!), Clutch fluid (Also brake fluid, so suffers the same with age)

The spark plugs and such, I'd expect wouldn't be so bad as they've not been used to expire.

Oil and transmission fluid, whilst probably not an outright requirement, seems like a good idea in any case.

Tyres - How are they faring with age? Would be well worth getting them changed before they perish.

#3 ·
Due to its low mileage, lack of actual services and 12 year of age Id agree with your dealer and just do everything, including the plugs, then you know its all done. Plugs arent that expensive at £45 from Tdi North, which should last you a good few years.

#4 · (Edited)
Absolute diamond.
I'd agree with Das and get the lot done.
Honda recommend changing the coolant at 10 years regardless of mileage, trans fluid at 8 years.

The tyres are likely to be flat-spotted if it has been sat for that long, if they aren't perished anyway.
The battery is almost certainly shot.

air & pollen filter are very easy to fit yourself to cut out a bit of unnecessary labour costs.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. The battery was replaced in October 2018 (have receipt for that) and tyres are mint. He may have replaced tyres more recently too.

I have also found paperwork in the glove box of an 'A' service at 2300 miles in May 2010. Its therefore only done 1500 miles since last service if you know what an 'A' service includes. Does that change anything?

#6 ·
Not really, the engine oil has been sitting there for 9 years.
The brake & clutch fluid will need changing regardless.
You could get the coolant checked before replacing it and I would recommend the gearbox oil gets replaced.

I would assume an A service is just an oil & filter change.
Honda's B service includes the air & pollen filter, both include a "thorough" vehicle healthcheck so at least get an A service done.

The battery might be okay then, easy enough to test.

The tyres might be okay - check for signs of cracking in the treads

You don't have to get it all done in one hit, do the important things first - engine oil & probably coolant - and sort the rest out over a couple of months.

Check out the fixed price servicing menu on the Honda website and set a budget - you never know your local dealer might do a discounted bundle? :elefant:

#7 ·
Wow, amazing find!

You will probably want to get the windscreen seal replaced with the updated one ... assume the current one hasn't had chance to rub through the paintwork?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wilmo
#8 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. Got a major service done today so all oils and filters changed as well as comprehensive health check. Got the all clear (except some rust on one of the brake discs but hoping that will reduce as the car actually gets out on the road for the first time in her life!)

Looking forward to many happy miles of engaging driving!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.