2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

A little review 1.5 Sport

10K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Das 
#1 ·
This is actually my first post so be a little gentle :)

I picked the car up on the 18th July, which is a company car. In the two weeks of use, I've clocked up just under 2k miles, so this is a short ownership review.

The good stuff.
The 1.5 engine is great fun, I didn't drive the 1.0 so can't compare, but glad I went for the 1.5.

The gearbox feels smooth and the gear stick is easy to work.

The look of the car is sporty without being OTT in a type R way.

The twin exhaust adds an extra sporty touch to the car.

MPG seems decent, the car is claiming 50mpg, but in my experience these usually read about 10% over.

Steering and suspension are good, the car rides the potholed roads we enjoy in the UK quite well.

Generous boot space for a car of this size. I carry a fair amount around with me, so works well for my needs.

I'm sure there's more good stuff, so will add as I think of/remember them :)

The not so good.
The sat nav is not great. I was surprised that they use the TMC system for traffic monitoring. The system is old school and not good enough to keep up to date with most traffic. OK, I knew about this before ordering, but gave it a try before giving up and using google/waze for sat nav purposes.

The voice system for the sat nav is strange. In most other cars I've driven the radio volume lowers when the sat nav speaks. In the Civic I have to have the sat nav volume up load enough to be heard over the radio. If your on the phone, the sat nav interrupts (very loudly) during the conversation (not with Android Auto, only the Garmin).

The rain sensors leave a lot to be desired. They seem to start off ok when it rains, but then go crazy. In heavy rain they are slow and with only a few spots, they go full speed. I would have thought a company like Honda would have a better system than this.

The arm rest on the door is not well padded. I tend to drive with my elbow resting on it on a long drive. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. Likewise, where my left knee rests against the centre console the plastic is hard and I end up moving into different places to stop the rubbing.

The annoying.
There's a squeaky vibration from the roof lining, right above my right ear. Not a big issue with the music playing, but bloody annoying during quieter periods. :mad2:

The radio bugged out on me today. I used the Garmin sat nav and the voice was working, but nothing else. Couldn't get any sound out of it and couldn't change the source. It worked fine after restarting, but might be a trip to the dealer if it keeps happening.

Overall the car is great, it has a few niggles, but what car hasn't. I'll be doing high miles in it, so we'll see how it goes in the long term.

See less See more
#2 ·
Honda do seem to always be a few years behind everyone else in a lot of areas. Infotainment always seems to get poor write ups when you read reviews, youd think a company in Japan would have access to the best Tech on offer.
The headlining rattle is a known issue, plenty report the same. Have you found the whistle from the AC yet?
Erratic auto wipers are the same on my Gen8, so I just use them manually.
Is your the normal or Sport Plus version?

#4 ·
Mine is just the normal sport (cheaper company car tax :) )

Has anyone found a cure for the headlining issue? Not sure how much more my roof can take of me punching it [smilie=whistle.gif] I thought the rattle was from the sunroof, unless there are two known issues?

The AC seems fine, I think being a 2019 model they may have fitted the upgraded bit that stops the whine.

It is a shame about the infotainment system, it could be so much better.

#3 ·
This is actually my first post so be a little gentle :)

The not so good.

The voice system for the sat nav is strange. In most other cars I've driven the radio volume lowers when the sat nav speaks. In the Civic I have to have the sat nav volume up load enough to be heard over the radio.

The arm rest on the door is not well padded. I tend to drive with my elbow resting on it on a long drive. After a while it becomes uncomfortable. Likewise, where my left knee rests against the centre console the plastic is hard and I end up moving into different places to stop the rubbing.
The sat nav voice volume/radio can be adjusted in the settings. Can't remember exactly where, i found by accident as the sat nav voice was too low and kept missing commands if i had the radio on. Found the setting by messing about. Don't think its in the sat nav settings though:frown2:

Totally agree with you re door arm rest (and centre consul) and knee rub. Should have better support and a pad for the knee like the 8G.

Another niggle i have is the window buttons are for me, set in the wrong position. I regularly open the back windows by accident.

Seven months in, 7 k miles, love the car but still miss my 8G.:surprise:

#5 ·
I missed this post as it was posted almost the same time as my last post.
The satnav volume is easily adjusted, just wait for her to speak and hit the volume up or down (wonder if this would work with the wife :) )
My problem with the volume is that it competes with the radio or whatever source you have on.

Not had an issue with the window switches, but have caught the hazzard lights button a few times when adjusting the vents.

On another note, my headlining above the door is now hanging down after me pulling down it in anger :laugh:

#6 ·
Nice balanced review, and I agree with you on so many points. As you can see from my review (also on this forum) this is a car to love, and to niggle you at the same time.

Overall it's an excellent car in the most important aspects - driving. The arm rest is firm, and I can see how the centre console could 'get in the way' for certain seating positions - I have my seat quite far back, but upright and find that very comfortable over longer journeys.

Just use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for sat nav - the only thing you'll lose is the directions in the drivers display panel.

As so very many have mentioned there are roof and general trim noises found the 10G Civic. Some can be resolved by yourself or your Honda dealer - some you will likely just have to live with.

Enjoy your Civic, I still don't think there's a car that matches it on it's strong points. :smile3:

#7 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look at your review :)

Using AA with Google, the directions show in the drivers display fine. If I use Waze, the directions work apart from roundabouts.

I've also had issues with the maps freezing (both Google and Waze). The map screen freezes but the voice continues to give directions. I have to unplug the cable, wait for an 'Android Auto has stopped working' message then plug it back in. Works fine after that, so no idea what is causing it. It's happened with two different phones and cables, so assume it's the head unit.

I've got another little niggle, which I'm trying to see if I can work around. My car is a company car, so need to connect my work phone via Bluetooth for calls. Downside to my work phone is they only give us limited data, so I thought I'd use my own phone for AA, as I have lots of data. Problem is, connect my phone to the cable and it tells me it will disconnect my work phones Bluetooth connection. Not sure how to get around this, but will keep looking.

#8 ·
It clearly is a restriction of the CarPlay functionality then in terms of directions being displayed in the drivers information panel. Maybe I'll get an Android phone... Maybe not - each to their own.

I'm pretty sure in the Civic and most other manufacturers ICE units they only permit a single phone connection at a time - so if you use AA or CarPlay (by cable) it disconnects the Bluetooth connection to any phones.

I know Suzuki's and Audi's do this, unless there's a very well hidden menu somewhere?

#9 ·
Not an Apple fan myself, but like you say, each to their own :)

My previous Passat and Peugeot 5008 allowed two phones to connect via bluetooth, just had to toggle between them to dial out. Incoming calls worked on both.
Connection via cable kills this function sadly. One work around I've found is to divert the work phone to my own. Works great on incoming calls, but not outgoing.

One point to add to my initial review that I forgot about, is the auto-hold brake. I had this on my Passat and loved it. Once enabled on the Passat it was always on whenever I started the car and was only off if I switched it off. I was so happy having this feature on the Civic, but just wish the system would remain on, until I switch it off.

#10 ·
...is the auto-hold brake. ... Once enabled on the Passat it was always on whenever I started the car and was only off if I switched it off. I was so happy having this feature on the Civic, but just wish the system would remain on, until I switch it off.
You, me and most other people I suspect. (Or off if you have switched it off.)
The handbrake has a 'delay off' that holds the car on a hill though, but not sure how long it holds for. Must try it.

#14 ·
Thought I'd add a small 4 month update.

I've now done just under 13.5k, at 8.5k the car wanted a service, so off to Honda it went. I assumed it would be just the oil/filter change, but the lease company insisted on a full service, so I ended up waiting 2 hours.

The previously reported headlining buzzing seemed to be cured by popping the headlining out of the rubber door seal. It hangs down and looks ugly, but it's quiet.

Whilst the car was in for it's service, I asked them to investigate the buzzing on the driver side. I explained that the roof lining was just popped out from behind the seal and they said they will investigate. Collecting my keys I asked about the lining and they said, as it was damaged it needed a new lining so they could diagnose it (idiots). They reported this to the lease company who wanted £845 from me for a new lining.......good luck to them with that.
Sadly, since the service, another buzzing has developed on the passenger side, but I can't yet pinpoint it.

A big issue I'm having at the moment is the head unit freezing when I connect my phone. Android Auto starts up fine, but for some reason the head unit freezes after a couple of minutes. Nothing will work on the head unit, so I have to unplug the phone, wait for the head unit to report AA is not responding and plug the phone back in again. AA and everything works fine after this. I don't think it's the phone as I have an Galaxy S6 and a Huawei P20 pro and it does it with both.

The car handles very very well, even on the slippery roads it has loads of grip.

Acceleration always surprises me, 2nd and 3rd gear are great fun :)

Will probably have to have a new windscreen soon, as there's a nice big chip and crack developing just above my line of sight :(

Otherwise all is well with the car. Will see how the next 4 months goes :D

#15 ·
Quick update.
Car had it's second service at around 16k. It went in with the tyre pressure light on, which lit up the day before. Honda reported a puncture which was repairable. They repaired it and I collected the car. Next day the light came on again, unfortunately I was over 2 hours from home, so phoned Honda to make sure they had repaired it. They confirmed and said go to the nearest Kwikfit. Went to Kwikfit, who said the repair was so bad they had made the tyre un-repairable. They only had a Goodyear available, so now I have 3 Michelin's and a Goodyear on the car. :mad:

I reported the issue I mentioned previously, where AA keeps freezing the screen. They tried to upload the new software that has been released, but it wouldn't take. The car went back in a week later and they said it was sorted. Plugged my phone in, set Waze going and got 20 yards out the garage and the screen froze. Fortunately the service manager saw the issue and said he would speak to Honda, who not surprisingly said it's a phone and/or cable issue. :rolleyes: I'm not convinced as I've tried three different phones and three different genuine cables (last phone/cable is brand new). It goes back in next week so they can 'test' it themselves, so we'll see how it goes.

One thing that I've noticed more and more is the horrendous road noise these cars produce. I sat in the passenger seat whilst my work colleague drove and it was loud. I don't think I notice it as much driving, as I'm usually alone and have the radio up a bit louder, but it is quite bad.

#16 ·
One mildly reasonable argument for having a spare. You then have the opportunity as to which tyre you get by going elsewhere.
What is interesting about the road noise? My 1.5 is also fitted with Michelin tyres. I have had a loaner 1.6D a couple of times and the road noise is much less.
What's the difference? 235/45 17 Michelins pn mine v 215??? Dunlops on the loaner (might have been 225s

#18 ·
Ok, time for another update.

Car has now covered 30k in 11 months of ownership. Car still performs well and still surprises me with it's acceleration.

Finally needed new tyres and have now got 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's on it. I don't think they're as grippy as the Michelin tyres, but seem ok. The excessive road noise is still there, so kind of proves the car has crap sound proofing.

Sadly, after getting squeezed by a lorry in a corner, I ended up putting the back wheel into the kerb :( The impact took a chunk out of both the tyre (less than two weeks old) and wheel. A new tyre was fitted, but the car was making a noise when you got to 55mph. It was due a service on the Monday so asked them to take a look. Unfortunately it was a Halfrauds Autocentre (lease companies choice) as Honda were shut due to Covid 19. They said they 'think' the wheel is buckled, but should be ok to drive. Asked if they'd actually listened to the noise, they said no as they aren't allowed to take the car above 30mph (useless company). Not filled with confidence, I jacked the car up and the wheel wasn't buckled.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, the car has now had a new wheel and wheel bearing.

Lets see how the next 3 years of driving goes, I suspect I'll be deaf from having to turn the radio up, to drown out the damn road noise :ROFLMAO:

#19 ·
I've had my 1.5 sport for 6 months now and can agree with most of the issues you have had, mine is going in on the 24th for a few issues to be rectified, front sensors go ballistic in rain, have been turned off for months, driver bolster has collapsed and door seal has split, I also have the ac whistle. Even with these issues I still love the car although when it comes to change in a couple of years I may look elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I had my 1.5ltr sport new in June 2018.

I have had the air con whistle fixed and the air con condenser replaced and also the internal alarm sensors replaced as the alarm use to go off intermittently. All rectified under warranty with no quibble form my local dealership.

Even with the above issues which are disappointing, I'm tempted to buy the same model again when my pcp runs out in December. I really rate the performance, comfort and petrol consumption and generally just the way the car drives.

I just wonder if the issues above have been eradicated on the 2020 cars.

#21 ·
Even with the above issues which are disappointing, I'm tempted to buy the same model again when my pcp runs out in December. I really rate the performance, comfort and petrol consumption and generally just the way the car drives.

Yes that's right it's a fast economical roomy high spec nice to drive car without the boy racer looks.

#22 ·
16 months in and 45k on the clock, the car is still going well. Road noise continues to annoy me, and will be a deciding factor come car change time.

Unfortunately two weeks after my last post, a lorry changed lanes and hooked my back bumper pulling the corner out. Back to the garage and a new bumper fitted.

During the summer the AC worked well, apart form a strange smell (like cat pee) that was in the car after it had sat for a few hours. Not sure if it's related, but in the last week of September the AC packed up. Dealer put it down the the condenser issue and it was replaced under warranty. Not had the smell since, so not 100% sure what it was.

I've managed to pick up three punctures since having the Goodyears on. One in the front off side and two in the front nearside (picked up at the same time).

To be continued........

#23 ·
I agree with the road noise the lack of sound proofing is pretty shocking and not upto Honda's usual quality standards in my opinion. I have been thinking of fitting some all seasons tyres to mine (we live in a rural loaction) they are supposed to be quieter due to softer rubber but I have not experience to vouch for that. I'm yet to have the AC condenser problem but time will tell. I have been pretty pleased with mine but I for one am stuck what to change it for next as it definitely has to be Japanese but I can't think of anything that appeals, the Mrs wants an SUV I want something sporty and I have been considering an FK8 Type R,.

#24 ·
If anyone is still interested in this review, I'll add what may be the final chapter (maybe). The car is now on 65k, and the lease is 4 years or 80k. Likely to hit 80k soon so it may go back, unless the company decide to pay for the excess mileage.

Not had it two years yet, but I've lost count of the number of times the service light has popped up. The intervals are very short, it was showing 110 days to the next one after the service (I've had it back showing 90 days before). I'm just glad i'm not paying for the services, it's already had two this year.

The previous Goodyears only lasted for 20k (primacy tyres 30k), so now have a set of Pilot Sport 4's on, which makes it a lot more grippy. Not sure if they'll last for 30k, but will see how they go.

Road noise is no different with the PS4's, it really does spoil the car.

To be fair, the car has performed really well over the 21 months I've had it. Sadly I won't be going for another Civic when this one is returned.

#25 ·
Reviews like this are good, real world users and all that.
The service light doesn't surprise me, by my reckoning your doing 3k a month so I'm not surprised your looking at a service every 4 months or so? One thing I did notice was the gen10 isn't that cheap to service @ £300 a time for what is basically oil and filters.

#26 ·
Reviews like this are good, real world users and all that.
The service light doesn't surprise me, by my reckoning your doing 3k a month so I'm not surprised your looking at a service every 4 months or so? One thing I did notice was the gen10 isn't that cheap to service @ £300 a time for what is basically oil and filters.
I've no idea what the cost is for a 'service' as it's taken care of by the lease company. They do seem surprised though when I call to book yet another service. 😅

#27 ·
Well, I've still got it :)

It's now on 105000 and running well, first MoT is due next month and I doubt anything will be wrong...........hopefully.

Since the last update, the condenser failed for the second time and had to be replaced. No arguments from the dealer, they just sorted it.

Front tyres are now Hankooks and road noise is no different. It's a shame, if the road noise was lower the car would be great, it just lets it down.

Another year to go

#28 ·
That's a lot of miles you have clocked up, my 2017 has just reached 32k. Glad all seems well, my B fuel computer is showing 41.7 av mpg over 9.5k miles which is good, mine has got a bluespark box on and greedy S steel exhaust fitted plus I had an aftermarket electric sunroof fitted, well pleased with mine

#30 ·
I just bought a 1.5 civic before that had a 1.4 seat leon excellent model.Cant understand why the civic has a key ignition when the seat was button start also the seat was touch the door handle and the door uSEAnlocked yet honda seem years away.The driving in the civic is easy plenty of acceleration and you do notice a difference from a seat to a civic.Seats comfy and overall looks like a decent car but not really tried the media system out yet but hope it works ok.

#31 ·
Cant understand why the civic has a key ignition when the seat was button start also the seat was touch the door handle and the door uSEAnlocked yet honda seem years away
You only get keyless entry on the EX and Prestige Civic iirc. TBH with a key there's little chance of your car being stolen with these cloning device the scumbags are using these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.