2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Quote from Honda for new sat nav disc!!

Satnav 
24K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Killgroup 
#1 ·
So, as many people know if you've read any of my recent posts, I recently picked up a fab 09 spec Type S GT. With the built in sat nav etc.

However, because I am caught in the middle of a frankly infantile exchange between the dealership and the previous owner (who took the sat nav disc from the car) my car is without a set of mats, but more importantly, without a sat nav DVD, so the sat nav does not presently work.

Today, my Husband took my car to Honda for a quote on how much a replacement DVD would cost. We were originally told between £100 and £200, but we were given a quote today for almost £300! Apparently, it's a special 2 DVD set that we need and we were told it was the same as the one that the Accord sat nav uses?!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does anyone else here have this? And does anyone think this price is correct? Is this the only one that will work in my car? Does it have extras to the older ones that Honda sell for £100+? The part number is SHHFN14609U001351 and it comes up as a 'Navigator DVD-Rom set'

Any help would be fab!

Frankie.x

See less See more
#2 ·
So, as many people know if you've read any of my recent posts, I recently picked up a fab 09 spec Type S GT. With the built in sat nav etc.

However, because I am caught in the middle of a frankly infantile exchange between the dealership and the previous owner (who took the sat nav disc from the car) my car is without a set of mats, but more importantly, without a sat nav DVD, so the sat nav does not presently work.

Today, my Husband took my car to Honda for a quote on how much a replacement DVD would cost. We were originally told between £100 and £200, but we were given a quote today for almost £300! Apparently, it's a special 2 DVD set that we need and we were told it was the same as the one that the Accord sat nav uses?!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does anyone else here have this? And does anyone think this price is correct? Is this the only one that will work in my car? Does it have extras to the older ones that Honda sell for £100+? The part number is SHHFN14609U001351 and it comes up as a 'Navigator DVD-Rom set'

Any help would be fab!

Frankie.x
Why should the previous owner not take the discs and mats if they were not included in the sale of the car? They belong to him/her and can be sold for a reasonable sum on ebay which is probably where they will end up. Your problems are with the dealer that sold you the car and as such they should be supplying the disks to you at their expense.

#4 ·
Thank you, but this does not answer my question. Plus, I have in the papers from my car that when the car was part exed the mats and a working sat nav should have been included and there's a nice signature saying so from the previous owner.

The fact that I am taking this up with the dealer is a given and I have not asked for advice on this point. I am taking care of this part... the dealership have promised me discs or money in two weeks. I am preparing my papers for the inevitable fact that I am going to have to claim this money from them.

My question refers to the actual disc. Do you have a sat nav system and a 2009 spec Civic Type S GT? And do you use this disc, or a different one?

#11 ·
Lex, I'll get the disc or the cash one way or another from them.. I just need to get some quotes ready! I knew before I picked it up that I would have a small wait for the disc. :)

#5 ·
can I just ask why your sat-nav system is not working? I thought you only needed a disc with you wanted an upgrade of software or more up-to-date maps.

£300 for a disc seems very expensive. Just searched ebay and there are a few items perfect for your needs:

Honda sat nav disc 2009 CRV,CIVIC,ACCORD on eBay (end time 08-May-10 21:07:26 BST)

(though the bids are get quite high :()

I have a friend who had a similar situation like yours frankie though it was a BMW who was going to charge him an eye-watering £500 for the disc and set-up and told him only BMW technicians could do it because "it needs a special computer". He went on ebay and got the dics for a fiver, inserted the discs, couple of minutes, job done!

#7 ·
Hi,

Apparently this system requires the DVD to be in the drive the whole time.

I was just wondering if, out of the official Honda DVDs it was only the latest £300, 2 disc version that would work. The Honda technician seemed to think so, but I'm sure this car originally only had the one disc!

When I claim the money from the dealership I need a reasonable and official quote, I don't want to charge them for a £300 disc unless that's the only one I can use, or a genuine like for like for what should be there. :)

Thanks for the help. :)

can I just ask why your sat-nav system is not working? I thought you only needed a disc with you wanted an upgrade of software or more up-to-date maps.

£300 for a disc seems very expensive. Just searched ebay and there are a few items perfect for your needs:

Honda sat nav disc 2009 CRV,CIVIC,ACCORD on eBay (end time 08-May-10 21:07:26 BST)

(though the bids are get quite high :()

I have a friend who had a similar situation like yours frankie though it was a BMW who was going to charge him an eye-watering £500 for the disc and set-up and told him only BMW technicians could do it because "it needs a special computer". He went on ebay and got the dics for a fiver, inserted the discs, couple of minutes, job done!

#10 ·
Different drive.. the sat nav DVD goes in the glove box, and an audio CD can be loaded in the usual place in the dash :)

#12 ·
Ah OK, I get it but surely this is a major design flaw. I mean, the maps and all other info doesnt really take up that much space especially with todays hard-drive memory (Giga-bytes is cheap as peanuts).

I have a funny feeling its all a money-making process.

Also, if you bought a car with sat-nav, you would expect everything to be there. I would go back to the dealer and demand them to sort it out. I know the previous owner should not have removed it though it is the dealer's responsibility to ensure everything is in place.

#13 ·
Also, if you bought a car with sat-nav, you would expect everything to be there. I would go back to the dealer and demand them to sort it out. I know the previous owner should not have removed it though it is the dealer's responsibility to ensure everything is in place.
Yes yes yes yes, I've done this. They are sorting it out. I have it in writing that if they don't replace the disc in two weeks they'll pay me for it.

But like I've already said. I need a realistic and official quote. :)

#18 ·
I doubt the previous owner will hand them back to the dealer.
Yes I know.. hence getting ready some quotes to give to them.

My only advise is to phone a few honda dealers for quotes. At least that way you know who's ripping you off.
I know this too. But I would like to know which sat nav disc I need to ask for, or whether an older one can be used also.

#17 ·
The current 2-disc version is 3.40 - I bought 3.33 (also 2-disc) last year, here in Norway, and it was a lot less than £300, even at Norwegian prices ...

Your dealer is taking the piss - they'll be able to get them from a Honda dealer inside a few days ...

They are just "plug-n-play" - insert either Europe West or Europe East (into the drive in the glove box !) and if it's a newer version than that which was previously installed, it updates the firmware and loads the maps ...

You can use older versions as well (there's a special "3-finger salute" to 'roll-back' to any previous version) ...

#20 ·
The dealership I bought from have been very open in telling me that they don't want to pay for a disc until they have tried to get the original back.

I need to know which disc I need so I have the correct quote because I will be claiming this money from the dealership - since I am 100% sure that they will not be able to get the old one back. The dealership and the previous owner are in the middle of a war of words about it.

Thank you! So I can use an older version? Thanks! You have answered my main question!

Frankie.x

#22 ·
Oh yes I have indeed. :)

I was asking this because the dealership will in one way or another be reimbursing me for the fact there was no disc, and I wanted to know how much I could ask for without taking the mickey. :) if that makes sense?

Plus, I was concerned that an older version wouldn't work since a technician told us today that only the £300 2 disc option would work. :)

Frankie.x

#23 ·
Oh yes I have indeed. :)

I was asking this because the dealership will in one way or another be reimbursing me for the fact there was no disc, and I wanted to know how much I could ask for without taking the mickey. :) if that makes sense?

Plus, I was concerned that an older version wouldn't work since a technician told us today that only the £300 2 disc option would work. :)

Frankie.x
Give (for example) Gordons Honda a ring - I'm sure the UK price, for the current version, is nearer £150 - no way it's £300 ! ...

#26 ·
I dare say one might work, but I can't give them a receipt for a copy and ask them to reimburse me!

The dealership are or will be paying for a replacement disc if they can't or don't get one by other means. I need to find a reasonable official quote to give them. I'm not going to charge them £300 for one, if I can get one for £150 that works just as well. Unless there's something amazing about the £300 one.

Similarly I'm not going to allow them to only give me £10 to copy one. :)

Frankie.x

#27 ·
Copies don't work, since version 3.30.

#28 ·
The reason yours is probably so expensove is that you need a different disc to the normal one if you have voice activated sat nav which is what i think it sounds like you have got. There are two discs, one for eastern europe and one for western. I can't give you a price off the top of my head but i know the voice activated ones are relatively expensive and you will need one of these to keep that feature working. You can load on an older version as long as it is a voice activated version but you will need to find someone who can do it. A dealer may do it but not too sure. Hope this helps.

#29 ·
I paid about £220 here in Norway, for 3.33 (2-disc set and I have an 'EX') - so, I'd expect the UK price to be 2/3 of that (or less) - £300 is nonsense !

#35 ·
There are two versions of the satnav hardware in Civics:

SMGA: This is found in all pre 2009 cars. These cars can take any DVD (3.2x and 3.3x) because the new discs (3.3x) contain the SMGA and SMGX firmware.

SMGX: This is found on 2009MY and newer cars. It includes the USB connection. These cars can only use 3.3x and higher DVDs because only these discs have the SMGX firmware file. You cannot make a personal backup of the 3.3x discs (that work).

Frankie, you need a 3.3x disc set (or newer) - should be in the order of £130 from a dealer like Holdcroft. Honda only make one disc set which covers a load of different cars (just by having lots of different firmware files on the disc) including the Accord and CR-V.

To answer some of the other questions: the satnav contains no hard disk, so the DVD disc is an integral part of the system. When you load a disc, the firmware on that disc is loaded into non-volatile memory on the car - and the system subsequently accesses the DVD for all map and POI data.

#36 ·
Pottsy, you're my hero! That's all the information I need! Now I know what to ask for and I can get a more decent quote from Honda to send to the dealership. :) I feel much better!

Frankie.x

#37 ·
Do let us know how you get on Frankie. Getting a new car should be a pleasant experience and hopefully the lack of the satnav dvd hasn't spoilt it too much.

#38 ·
No way has it spoiled it at all! I'm looking forward to a working sat nav, but I'm thrilled with it!

It's just a little side issue and I needed to get my ducks in a row!

But I am totally in love!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.