2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Finally did my callipers too....

Wheels 
3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  meetntwo 
#1 ·
Well, after having talked about it for a long time I finally got round to doing my callipers today.. Mainly as I know Oli would grill my balls at the Silverstone meet if they weren't done :) . Luckily for me I know a very nice guy, thats you J, who has a workshop and was more than happy to lend a hand. Dead easy job for any one considering it though. I didn't remove them or even mask anything, just painted away!
My only advice would be to get a couple of decent brushes though as Halfrauds arts department is shoddy and their rubbish bush has resulted in my 'type R' looking like it has been painted by a kid. Might have to touch it up a bit at the weekend but here's a few pics all the same...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
very nice mate, car looks mint.top job

Reactions: Pabby
#4 ·
My word, what I'd have given to be able to paint them while the car was in the air, lol. Even had to use the windy little jack you get with the car on the passenger side, as with my flat tyre my trolley jack wouldn't fit under!

Then got a dead a**e sat on the cold driveway painting them.

Some people have all the luxuries :p

#9 ·
nice garage and good job like the colour looks great against the black

#10 ·
Really nice mate, great effort, the look stunning, your right... I would have grilled your balls and served them back to you if the Calipers were not done, now remove it from your signature LOL!

Anyway, like always, I want to copy you. Where did you get the full kit from? Red/White paint? Did you use a hardener also? They look really shiny, very keen to get the same finish!

Great work mate! Looks AMAZE!

#12 ·
Oli, funilly enough it is just Halfords own red brake calliper paint! I used Hammorite smooth white for the lettering although as I say, gotta redo one as the Halfords brush I was using wasn't great :) . I should have been more prepared but I went and picked up the paint about 2 minutes before I planned on doing them...
I really wanted a deeper red to match the interior... which I would have liked but to be fair quite happy with these although they are kinda loud.
Halfords do a kit for about 20 quid which comes with calliper cleaner, paint and hardener... I felt tight so went for their own brand as it was cheap and dried a lot quicker (I didn't have all day to sit around)
J, who was also doing his on his 2.2 used the £20 quid kit and it turned out to be the same deep red as the interior which was kinda gutting! That'll teach me for being tight I guess.
His also only really needed one coat, I gave mine about 3....
I decided not to do the rears as I thought it'd be ott but now I think I might have to..... J if you are reading this I hope that makes you smile.. haha

#19 ·
...On with mine as we speak!... I'll get some pics up when I've finished, although I think it's going to run into Sunday at this rate!

Just applied the first coat to the front calipers... the drying time between coats is painfuly tedious... it's like watching paint dry :oops:

#21 ·
Jeez... Hammerite's like dishwater!! Foliatec kit covered very well with just one coat. I've just applied the second coat to the front two calipers and looks like it could still do with another two!! I'm gonna be too old to drive by the time i've got them finished! :p

#24 ·
Hello bud, I painted them as the 'TYPE R' is already on the calliper it is easy enough. If I'd had more time i would have painted more carefully around them so as to leave them bare before putting the white on. I just painted over the whole thing and then did the white lol. I was gonna paint over them in wood glue before doing the red so that I could peel the lettering off before applying the white but on the day I was totally unorganised. Make sure you have a decent paintbrush and not some rubbish one that splays all over the place, I have to touch mine up again as a result of a poor brush.

#23 ·
In response to the golf course question, yes we were at a golf course, it is my friend who works there though not me..

#25 ·
how ya doing tom. finally i have made it on here woo ! yes it is nice to see your finally admitting that plain callipers suck .....(oh that and you would have been in the workshop for another 24hrs ) just fitted camber bolts and 4 new tyres on mine today and it seems to handle so much better. you will have to pop over again soon to paint the rears ,and your bonnet looks great by the way..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.