2015 9G CTR Gen Chat - Page 313 - Civinfo
 1145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6241 of 6252 (permalink) Old 28th March 2019, 19:01

Car: 2016 CTR, Polished Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan power View Post
Looking for oil advice for fk2 guys. Not sure wether to go for 0w20 or 0w30?

On a german Forum one of the users who seems to know his stuff on oil and all the additives said that he uses and recommends Valvoline VR1 5W50, Mobil1 5W50 or Mobil1 0W40, especialy if the car is mapped and often on the track.

Im going to give the Valvoline a try in summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6252 (permalink) Old 29th March 2019, 16:54
GC

Car: 2016 FK2R - Crystal Black
My local dealership has literally just vanished. Had a service there 2 weeks ago, drove past today and it's gone
post #6243 of 6252 (permalink) Old 14th April 2019, 20:40
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
yay. more problems with the car.
been having a very slight knocking going over the kerb at home since i had the ps4s's fitted. figured it was tyres so didnt think much of it. cup2's are now on the front and same problem. suspicious.
last 2 days the car has been very juddery on the clutch. absolutely appauling when i reversed up hill at parents house, so i've a feeling i've something going on with engine mounts

I'll be getting the car back on ramps sometime this week after work to check it out. loosing count how many times i've touched the car in the last 4-5 weeks :S
looks like no upgrade path - fk2&fk8 engine stabiliser bar are different and cant find much on the fk2. hopefully just a bolt thats worked its way loose and nothing more sinister.

post #6244 of 6252 (permalink) Old 15th April 2019, 17:33

Car: FD2R
Dude you are like a hypochondriac!
Are you sure you are not just reading into it a bit to much?

I mean people like Dotty and others managed to do big track days and euro trips to the Ring and Spa with no drama, yet you do a track day on a crappy airfield and near on kill it... Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #6245 of 6252 (permalink) Old 15th April 2019, 18:28 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,101 Posts
Eco display
I battered mine round Croft and all that suffered were the tyres.
jasonstatus likes this.
post #6246 of 6252 (permalink) Old 15th April 2019, 21:55
Supporter

Garage
nope, definitely a problem... found it tonight.
self inflicted this one. oil cooler connections on the filter takeoff adapter are knocking against the subframe under certain conditions.
I was somewhere close with my diags - had a feeling it was related to engine movement.

trackdays - only thing i'm thinking of is the layout of the airfield. Donny & silverstone (edit: looks like croft too) certainly have far longer straights for cooling. less compound heat. Also seems 20-25min stints are on the long side, and got speaking to [email protected] - said standing the car on it's nose is probably my problem with brakes. weird he's the only one saying that as from what i've read from various sources, hard as possible and being on the limit of ABS kicking in is where you want to be, but there's something i'm doing wrong so i'm all ears on solutions.

more work planned this weekend then if oil cooler bits turn up. bumper off, rework the oil cooler lines, removing brake dust shield, add some heat reflective tape to rubbery bits around the brakes and might as well fit the PBS pads since callipers & discs are coming off.
might stop dickin' about with it then till after trackday...maybe...
Synysterjmz likes this.

Last edited by veehexx; 15th April 2019 at 21:58.
post #6247 of 6252 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:47
Supporter

Garage
yer gonna love this dweezle... car bings up with usual service reminder. decided to check remaining miles till it's actually due. 750mile.
4 miles down the road, 'service now due'.

planned to get this weekend out of the way before ringing dealer but i got a phone call this morning from them saying i'm now due for service (they sent a sms earlier in the week reminding me, so I don't think it's the car phoning home).
They say it's due for service and what would i like to do (implying am i waiting or leaving it with 'em), so i ask about the valve clearances. i get put on hold while she checks (really... you ring me up and don't know what service i'm going in for!?), but she checks and confirms they'll need doing. drop off first thing and collect end of day.

my dealer must not of had the memo your dealer got. 3.5yr old/30k.
post #6248 of 6252 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 17:02 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,101 Posts
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
yer gonna love this dweezle... car bings up with usual service reminder. decided to check remaining miles till it's actually due. 750mile.
4 miles down the road, 'service now due'.
It does change to that with 750 miles to go. The counter will keep going down from 750.
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
trackdays - only thing i'm thinking of is the layout of the airfield. Donny & silverstone (edit: looks like croft too) certainly have far longer straights for cooling. less compound heat. Also seems 20-25min stints are on the long side, and got speaking to [email protected] - said standing the car on it's nose is probably my problem with brakes. weird he's the only one saying that as from what i've read from various sources, hard as possible and being on the limit of ABS kicking in is where you want to be, but there's something i'm doing wrong so i'm all ears on solutions.
I've been giving this some thought;
I can't help but feel it's down to the length of your sessions; It might be worth cutting back to ten minute sessions for a day, then see how cooked the brakes are - If they're fine, up to 15 minutes. Reading around, 25 minutes does sound like a long session.

From a purely physical perspective, braking is conversion of kinetic into thermal energy - You'll need the same reduction in kinetic energy to take the corner safely, meaning the same amount of thermal energy; The only factor that plays into this is a longer, steadier brake will heat the brakes gradually, allowing them to cool off, whilst a hard brake dumps all of the heat into the brakes, then they must cool afterwards.

Shorter session times to cut down on latent heat, weight reduction to reduce kinetic energy, or brake ducts to increase the cooling efficiency would seem like the most cost effective / simple solutions before getting into the territory of BBK's and such.
Have you looked at options for expanding the stock brake ducts? Haven't looked at them in detail (Not having a CTR ) but looking at pictures, I'd have thought you could take them out and enlarge the central duct for increased airflow? Just found a better picture. NVM!

Away from brakes for a moment, One thing that may be worth trying, reccomended by a local CTR Owner - Remove the fake arch vents, and cut them out so they are actually venting - With the removal of the side plastic trims in the engine bay, it provides an exhaust for hot air; As well as making the fake vents functional, which adds to cool points (In both ways!)

Crude diagram for you:
Supporter

Car: PM FK2 type r
Garage
As said above remove the plastic trim around the engine bay and a good excuse to get the carbon vents as these have large gaps to vent hot air. Also do your track-days in the Spring and Autumn as lower ambient temps mean lower brake,engine and tyre temps.
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR, NHB
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
I've been giving this some thought;

From a purely physical perspective, braking is conversion of kinetic into thermal energy - You'll need the same reduction in kinetic energy to take the corner safely, meaning the same amount of thermal energy; The only factor that plays into this is a longer, steadier brake will heat the brakes gradually, allowing them to cool off, whilst a hard brake dumps all of the heat into the brakes, then they must cool afterwards.
I wouldn't brake for longer as that will make things worse. The longer the pads are in contact with the discs, the more time there is for the much hotter discs to heat up the pads and calipers. Shorter, firmer braking is the most efficient method with regards to heat. If the discs are suffering then extra cooling is required or shorter sessions.
veehexx and Haltamer like this.
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riche View Post
As said above remove the plastic trim around the engine bay and a good excuse to get the carbon vents as these have large gaps to vent hot air. Also do your track-days in the Spring and Autumn as lower ambient temps mean lower brake,engine and tyre temps.
couldnt get much cooler than about 12c ambient i think abingdon was.

I'm removing brake dust shield this weekend. almost positive theres no cool air at the center of the disc other than whats provided near the caliper where the air redirector is. disc air feed is wrong side of the dust shield so any air its getting is from the discs. I'm also making a point of reducing my track session time for next event and go from there. Very clear that i loose track of time when out on track - while it doesn't feel like 20-25min, it is the point i start to feel fatigued so use that to decide when to come in.

https://driver61.com/uni/braking/ seems to be a good source for circuit driving. everywhere i've seen says the same - brake hard and late, not soft and early as the brakes spend more time in a cooling state.

I'm trying to plan money so i can get that early June Donnington National layout event booked. want to avoid late june/july/aug if at all possible.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in