FK2 Track Day Discussion - Page 3 - Civinfo
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 145 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 19:53
Supporter

Standard Continental tyres. Lasted 5 hard track days so far and around 4k road miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 145 (permalink) Old 7th July 2017, 22:01 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
I don't know what he's doing then because mine were toast after a day at Croft. Far too soft for the temps they generate and started to break up.
post #43 of 145 (permalink) Old 8th July 2017, 08:53
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
iirc, tegiwa ran through their set in 40mins!

post #44 of 145 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 12:45
Supporter

Garage
time for a bump..
A-Plan insurance have given me a very nice quotation - +250 ontop of road cover, for 5days/yr track use. seem to cover airfield and real circuits. All in, about 80 more than i currently pay for road only.

so track is pretty much guaranteed for next year now.

i've been across to a biker shop in coleshill this morning and after trying a few on and from what everyone else seems to go with, i'm going with a cheap full face unit.
I've pretty much settled on N2000 PIONEER or N2300 RIFT DVS. Both are Nitro helmets with the DVS one (+20) coming with tinted sunvisor feature which seems like a good feature.

for those that have done track in the past, do you think it's worth getting the DVS verions with sunvisor? both helmets i tried wouldn't allow to be used with my Oakleys.
post #45 of 145 (permalink) Old 6th November 2017, 18:06

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...met-matt-black

Just get something like this and add a tinted visor.
post #46 of 145 (permalink) Old 28th February 2018, 10:06
Supporter

Garage
just booked my first FK2 trackday... abingdon on 20th april.
new brake fluid incoming - ATE typ200 since EuroCarParts have it on shelf and more easily available than RBF600/660.
post #47 of 145 (permalink) Old 28th February 2018, 15:51
Supporter

Car: PM FK2 type r
Garage
Anybody solved the tow hook issue yet?
post #48 of 145 (permalink) Old 1st March 2018, 16:17
Supporter

Garage
not really solved it but I'm using the standard car hooks for track use if i stuff it.

if you fancy it, front bumper cutting is one option and bolt to the crash bar bolts but i've no idea how strong it is. Syncro use that area for their race car, but i'd say they've most likely reinforced it anyway.

edit: i'm speaking of their earlier mounting point just behow the inner corner of headlight. google images shows they've got a point behind the front numberplate now. that obviously means relocating the plate on a road car and I've no idea how strong either location is for tow use.

Last edited by veehexx; 1st March 2018 at 16:21.
post #49 of 145 (permalink) Old 1st March 2018, 18:55
regrets his username

Car: 1.6 focus RS
Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,217 Posts
Makes a race car for the road forgets easy access tow points
post #50 of 145 (permalink) Old 1st March 2018, 20:18
Supporter

Garage
i know, right!? standard car has the removable bumper trim to access tow eye threads, typeR/track version has 'em removed.

change of plan with mine though; I've gone and bought a few bits from Tegiwa. coincidentally, they have 12.5% discount pre-applied at checkout till 5th March due to new site skin.
Tegiwa's rear tow hook in black, and an oil sandwich plate for future addition of (most likely) the Stack pro-control gauges.

i didn't realise how the tow hook's actually bolted to the car until i looked into it today. There's a number of fk2's with the Datum1 hook on google images. Tegiwa looks identical to the Datum so i guess they're all from the same manufacture.
post #51 of 145 (permalink) Old 5th March 2018, 17:44
Supporter

Garage
post #52 of 145 (permalink) Old 5th March 2018, 17:44
Supporter

Garage
Would something like this work do you think?

post #53 of 145 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 10:37
Supporter

Garage
i assume the hook goes inside the ring and a 2part piece?
how would it attach to the car?
post #54 of 145 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 16:38
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
i assume the hook goes inside the ring and a 2part piece?
how would it attach to the car?
No its the same piece just different view. Idea is the hook is hooked over the tow point of the car and the other end is attatched to the tow truck with the idea of lowering the towing point.
post #55 of 145 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 17:30
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2 CW
you'd need some way of stopping it just pivoting on the hook though
post #56 of 145 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 18:43
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB CTR View Post
you'd need some way of stopping it just pivoting on the hook though
Yeah did think that, it's the prototype lol. I tried to find a pic of your typical track-day tow-truck to see what height they tow from but couldn't find any.
post #57 of 145 (permalink) Old 7th March 2018, 08:49
Supporter

Garage
from what i recall on airfield days, they tend to use plain old 4x4's with a tow bar. that should give you the high.
the other problem is that the honda tow info (via HondaKarma) has ifs&buts. rear tow point is fine for short distance (out of gravel trap) but not for longer tow....not that you'd want to tow a car backwards for any sensible distance.
front tow points are so far under the car, it's unrealistic to tow and probably impossible to reach if the front digs in to the kitty litter.

i've not looked at it in depth, but i've a feeling the way forward is to cut the bumper and use a tow strap that uses the alu crash panel bolts. i'm really not a fan of cutting the bumper, nor a fan of the towstrap look.
post #58 of 145 (permalink) Old 7th March 2018, 17:34
Supporter

Garage
tow bracket came for the rear.
not sure how i feel about it mounted the way it is, i might see how it goes before giving the bumper a bit of a trim so it bolts up more horizontal. I'm pretty sure the center line of the tow forces are about right, so it shouldn't move and damage anything if it did need to be used.

post #59 of 145 (permalink) Old 20th April 2018, 19:27
Supporter

Garage
Abingdon done, what a day and what a car!

car was almost faultless and the issues i did have were all temperature related.
bearing in mind, mine is slightly modded (see my sig) and ambient was around 23C today, and probably 35-40c track temp, it coped very well.

car was flushed through with ATE Typ200 brake fluid a few weeks ago.

first things to get me a bit worried was the brakes. first few laps and brakes perfect. after that they pedal had more travel but after checking things out, no air or anything abnormal could be found. pedal was slightly longer traveled for the day but got used to it and i think actually helped modulate the pressure better. A few sessions i had the front pads dimly glowing when i returned to the pits but oil and tyre temps were the weaker links on the car. Oil peak temp was upto 130c so the STACK pro-control guages i recently fitted were FAR better than the imid option. very bright, colour change and blink when things get too hot. tyre performance seemed to correlate to the oil temps with todays temps.

I did have a little moment that -1'd a cone. off to speak with the marshalls and thats when we saw some smoke from the rear brakes (i was still in the car). probably end up upgrading the discs when their worn since i've got the ProjectMu NS pads on the rear.

everything went well upto lunch so off to get fuel. 2/3rds needed so fuel consuption was far less than i expected. I was expecting 1.5-2 tanks for track only, but probably could of done it on 1 tank including the 1h traveling each way.

first trip out, after 8-10mins and my last lap before coming in, and the first mechanical problem hit. 20 meters after the pit entance a loud bang and all power lost. had to do a full lap at 25-30mph. Thankfully i just blew a boost pipe off. the one i thought i'd have issues with at some point; the one that connects to the hard-pipe over the gearbox, just below the intake system. need to look into a solution - probably just get a better type of jubillee clip than anything more involved.
I assume it was temp related - just such a hot day the hose softened up and popped. not running any extra boost, so could occur again/to others.

blowing the boost pipe delayed the driver training by 20mins, but once sorted, off we went. not wishing to blow my own horn, but he couldn't find much wrong at all. first 3 laps he was just watching. lap 4&5 was more general driving talk. by the 6th, he did find something i thought they'd pick up on; braking too late/too much speed on entry and by a similar point, too eager to start the corner so often ran wide & sharper than i should on the exit. I'm very surprised it's just that as it's all been watch & learn others and my own experience. done 1 track day before, the odd handful of kart events and never had anything more the the learner driver stuff to get your road licence in the first place.

The dunlop RT2 tyres seemed a bit soft with the temps today (didn't stand out as an issue on track). outter edge of the loaded tyre is fairly torn up and causing a mild but very fast vibration on braking. need to see how they fair on a cooler day, but suspect i'll need something stiffer, more track focused and/or front camber adjustments. would love to see a similar environment for the ps4s's and how they cope with airfield/track days. I've got a feeling something like cup2's could be a better choice for me.
I ran around 40-42psi front & 30psi rear hot temps. rears didnt need much tweaking as it just felt right. fronts were raised from 34psi hot to try and reduce the sidewall wear.
I was seeing about 6psi increase between cold and hot temps.

so, end of the day, it's a good starting point for my 1st CTR trackday, and a good start to the year.

i cant say i found the rear end brake issues that others have mentioned. not once did i think the rear was going to pass the front, nore did it even hint at oversteer.

I do have videos, but not pulled all the content off the dash cam cards, so they'll come sometime over the weekend.
post #60 of 145 (permalink) Old 21st April 2018, 09:24
Supporter

Garage
aftermath pictures and questions!

for the more experienced trackdayers... does this look right? rear wheels, excessive dust build up. not stuck to the wheels, and an airline should blow the dust off it. i've got a suspicion it's means i've over done it on the pads so instead of them being grippy they've just thrown a load of dust out. same on both rear wheels and pads,discs,calipers look fine.
at one point i did get smoke from the rear brakes (the time time i over cooked it into a corner and wiped out the cone), so i do need to work a bit on cooling.

pMu HC+800 pads. were the teal colour, now a metallic grey. pads were slightly glowing at one point.

tyres stood up to a fair bit of punishment. most of the sidewall wear was done earlier in the day where i was learning what pressures to use. 40-42c hot seemed to stop any further sidewall wear so guess i'll be using that baseline next time. these 2 pictures are of the most loaded tyre. Does it show anything worth looking into more; more camber, tweaking pressures?
Surprised at how well the RT2's fared against the rest of the pack. CTR was slightly slower in corners but we're comparing to lighter cars like clios and caterhams. As you'd expect, most seem to be using r888's, ad08r's etc. The RT2's didnt really give up or hint they were going off. Not an ounce of understeer all day as i was trail braking the corners.

inner edge:

i'm kicking myself i lost some of my videos. I have the first group session outting, and those after about 1pm in the day which i'm working on now. tried recovery tools on the SDcard and my external drive where i copied them to but neither have the files i'm wanting.

Last edited by veehexx; 21st April 2018 at 09:32.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page