FK2 Track Day Discussion - Page 4 - Civinfo
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 145 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2018, 09:51
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
Front views...
first outing of the day. A bit frustrating behind the lotus as briefing was barely 30mins earlier regarding overtaking (slower car *MUST* indicate) and what blue flags mean. Was nice to get a clear track once past them. 1min 22sec lap times to start the day with.

blown boost pipe (end of video).

tuition lap:

rear camera:

Last edited by veehexx; 22nd April 2018 at 11:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 145 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2018, 14:36
Supporter

Garage
brakes haven't felt quite right since track day. lost the initial bite when cold.

I've a feeling the rears are to blame rather than fronts as the h/brake doesn't seem to quite bite as much as i remember it doing. pMu NS pads on the rear which would also explain the smoke from rear when i fell off the track.

Cheapest option seems to be adding some cooling ducts. Not sure how i'll mount the intake duct end; maybe something cable tied to the rear axle if there's room. probably get a solution rigged up for 50-60.
pad upgrade would be the 230 price bracket (pMu HC+). Maybe Dixcel Z as they seem to be more track suited. Z's price point is as pMu NS's.
grooved&drilled rear discs at 150

I'll probably be pulling the rear brakes apart sometime over the bank holiday to investigate and run some sand paper across the discs&pads.

fun & games!
post #63 of 145 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2018, 17:25
Supporter

Car: PM FK2 type r
Garage
I am really happy with the PBS pro-race pads on the road and expect them to be equally as good on track, look them up. Also had another idea on the towing issue, how about a semi-circular piece to attach to front tie downs and clear front splitter?

post #64 of 145 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2018, 19:23
Supporter

Garage
PBS is a new brand to me. Seems they only do front pads; https://www.pbs-brakes.com/product/c...front-prorace/. specs seem good though with 800c top temp.
these pMu NS pads i have on the rear are 400c peak. HC+ (that are on the front) are good for 800 as well with slightly higher u rating than the PBS. they are a touch more expensive though.

i do have an ever growing shopping list for the car... some of the s2k guys swore about dixcel brakes so i'm tempted to try them next. maybe the pagid rs29's after them.
post #65 of 145 (permalink) Old 24th May 2018, 08:39
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
brakes haven't felt quite right since track day. lost the initial bite when cold.

I've a feeling the rears are to blame rather than fronts as the h/brake doesn't seem to quite bite as much as i remember it doing. pMu NS pads on the rear which would also explain the smoke from rear when i fell off the track.

Cheapest option seems to be adding some cooling ducts. Not sure how i'll mount the intake duct end; maybe something cable tied to the rear axle if there's room. probably get a solution rigged up for 50-60.
pad upgrade would be the 230 price bracket (pMu HC+). Maybe Dixcel Z as they seem to be more track suited. Z's price point is as pMu NS's.
grooved&drilled rear discs at 150

I'll probably be pulling the rear brakes apart sometime over the bank holiday to investigate and run some sand paper across the discs&pads.

fun & games!
You know what, I applaud you for taking it on track because most people buy a car like that and it never sees it.

As for brake pads, Carbone Lorraine RC5+ are what I have in my DC2 and they are amazing on track and road.
post #66 of 145 (permalink) Old 24th May 2018, 12:26
Supporter

Garage
car was bought for track use so was only a matter of time before it started to get prepped and thrown on one.

when i was looking at what to do with my 18year old s2k, it was either strip that, and throw about 10k into it for track use. 10k in for 18yo car was too much of a pill to swallow.
caterham or atom was another option with a cheap daily car but lack of drive space for my two cars plus gf's just wasn't feasible.... so ended up with one car for everything; the FK2; 5 door, dog suitable, and daily and usable on the track

i will admit, i was surprised there wasn't more similar cars at the airfield day. not a single golfR, RS or VXR out there, new or old. maybe they were all too busy posing, engine troubles or torque steered into the nearest tree
post #67 of 145 (permalink) Old 24th May 2018, 17:20
Supporter

Garage
post #68 of 145 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 11:35
Supporter

Garage
got the car apart today. pMu NS pads no good for even casual track. Was expecting to find them glazed up, so a rough up with sandpaper for discs and pads i thought i'd be good. Nope, worn out. probably got 2months road left on them.

bought 'em from dotty with 3k on them and came with plenty of meat to suggest they were road use only. I eventually fitted them about a month before i did abingdon so maybe 5k road miles + 1 track day. They're goosed.

Same wear as the honda pads; inner pad wears quicker than the outer pad; a few mm difference between the inner and outer pad.
post #69 of 145 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 12:03
Supporter

Garage
I read somewhere that the vsa can be quite obtrusive on track so that could account for the excessive rear pad wear.
post #70 of 145 (permalink) Old 28th May 2018, 13:51
Supporter

Garage
VSA... is that the one that gets turned off the TCS? TCS usually off in dry weather and always track.

decided on pads... gone for PBS pads from rival motorsport. while half the price of others is a concern, they can handle the heat better so see how we get on with those.

Last edited by veehexx; 28th May 2018 at 14:05.
post #71 of 145 (permalink) Old 29th May 2018, 12:54
Supporter

Garage
just had a phone call from rival. PBS read pads don't exist and was a website error. Front only available, which matches PBS's website.
likely end up with dixcel but going to look into things a bit more to see if i'm aware of all options...
post #72 of 145 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 09:33
Supporter

Garage
Gone with the dixcel Z's. Hopefully i wont be turning these to dust.

Also contacted Dream about rear brake performance on track. rather not be chewing through 200 rear pads every 6-12months but there's little chance of vented rear discs and space is a bit tight for air ducts. From an eyeballing at the weekend, duct pipework looks like it'd only go around the caliper (rear side of disc) rather than the front side of the disc for optimal cooling.
post #73 of 145 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 15:51
Supporter

Garage
PBS rears available in about six weeks but interested to see how the dixcels fare.
post #74 of 145 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 16:26
Supporter

Garage
found a potential rear brake cooling solution. worth a punt for 10 so off to collect that on way home from work and then maybe later on a visit to B&Q for some suitable mesh to stop excess stones being thrown to the caliper area.

if it fits all will be revealed!
Farqui likes this.
post #75 of 145 (permalink) Old 30th May 2018, 18:58
Supporter

Garage
looking good. need the wheel off and also work the suspension to check for clearance and figure out a mounting method, but there seems to be space for 100mm kitchen extractor fan pipework - certainly just enough clearance with the car sat on the drive.

i've a few potential ideas with the duct pieces I've bought but that's a job for the weekend if the weather stays nice.
post #76 of 145 (permalink) Old 31st May 2018, 16:29
Supporter

Garage
just found some freebie track tips. requires whacking in your email address, but useful info: https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...e-drivers-tips
riche likes this.
post #77 of 145 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2018, 09:19
Supporter

Garage
going to need to buy some different bits for the brake cooling.
here's what i've found so far:
- space is tight. annoyingly so. if it's not the suspension (spring or damper), then it's the axle. if not that, it's the h/brake cable... and then the exhaust.
- my cheap <10 solution is too big and likely wouldn't give enough direct airflow. I'm sure it would help but i'm wanting to go for a very direct duct option, rather than just an air scoop that throws some air in the general direction.

- at 6oclock position on the dust sheild is a small vent hole. ideally a slight angle is needed to clear the h/brake cable and could likely go up to about 60mm air duct hose. ducting will go towards the back of the car, curve around the damper and be side mounted onto the spring cup area.

- intake scoops possibly wont work due to available space on one side (remus issue only due to valve?). ram air ducts probably the way forward and the option i'm going with.

- Mounting locations are limited, cable ties are your friend. Spring cup will be the main issue but i'm planning to get a strip of metal and bolt the same way as the rear anti-rollbars do to secure the intake end of the duct. Ground clearance wont suffer with this. also means when/if i go rear arb then i wont have to worry about relocating the duct work.
post #78 of 145 (permalink) Old 16th June 2018, 16:09
Supporter

Garage
Off to Donny on Monday, full GP circuit, onto project cars 2 to perfect lines with the help of driver 61.
veehexx likes this.
post #79 of 145 (permalink) Old 16th June 2018, 16:26
Supporter

Garage
I keep forgetting about donny. been tempted by one of their evening events in the past but for some reason i'm fixated on a full day at abingdon again.

make sure your rear pads are good you can probably -1.5mm for the inner pad vs outer pad thickness. inner one has always worn quicker for me and always on a slant away from the the squealer.

i'm not sure if they could of made the rear brakes any worse!
planning to do any videos?

bit of a weird one if you get he chance to ask; are egg timers allowed in car? I found i was out for 25mins when i thought only 10, so i need a way to time my out-time without it being considered a lap timer. it would certainly help me manage heat and wear better than i have so far.
post #80 of 145 (permalink) Old 17th June 2018, 09:22
Supporter

Garage
Lol you can ask about the egg timer yourself, i just run a set number of laps. I have the dashcam but it records in one minute segments so i will need to find out how to piece them together.. As an aside i hopefully have a recently retired touring car driver popping over to mentor me so should help.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page