FK2 Track Day Discussion - Page 5 - Civinfo
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 145 (permalink) Old 17th June 2018, 11:24
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
i used openshot video editor when i did mine; mine does 3 or 5min segments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 145 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 21:11
Supporter

Garage
well... how'd it go then richie?
post #83 of 145 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 21:34
Supporter

Car: PM FK2 type r
Garage
Very well thanks, been trying to piece together some video but haven't managed it yet. Lots of fast stuff there including Ferrari race team so a little bit nervous to be honest for a start. I find Donington a testing track with the height and camber changes particuarly the Craner curves which are a test of nerve as well as ability. When you have to be driving home in what you are tracking it also has an effect on your commitent to said corners. Having said that the front brakes were smoking well and i had some graining on the tyres. It was very important to keep an eye on tyre pressures as the left side was getting hotter than the right increasing pressures in that side and causing a little bit of movement under heavy braking. I was only doing 5 or 6 lap stints as it was hot and i didn't want to push my luck. Another thing that made life difficult later on was going off-line to let faster cars by and i'm sure i was picking up marbles which made the car a little unpredictable at times. Overall an excellent day and a lot learnt.
veehexx likes this.

post #84 of 145 (permalink) Old 20th June 2018, 11:08
Supporter

Garage
Incidentally the PBS Prorace fronts were great at Donny so looking forward to adding the rears for a bit more stability under heavy braking.
post #85 of 145 (permalink) Old 20th June 2018, 17:24
Supporter

Garage
aside from brand preference, cost and pedal feel, i don't think it matters what pads you go for, as long as they do >=800C temps.
may well try PBS next time. the cost is very attractive. But if the first impressions of these dixcels Z's on the rear are anything to go by, who knows. I've been driving around on the cooked pMu NS's for a while so brakes haven't felt as good as they should so could just be that making the dixcels noticeably better. Back end just seems to dig in more than i remember the OEM's or NS's ever doing with 60-70% braking even after only 10-15 miles on part-worn discs.
riche likes this.
post #86 of 145 (permalink) Old 21st June 2018, 07:04
Supporter

Garage
Some other things i have realised since contemplating the day is that i should have had some instruction to help with the faster corners. I feel i was ok in the slower stuff but i could have gone faster through the Craner curves and Coppice. Also that the PS4S is an 80% road 20% track tyre and as such struggled to cope with the high temperatures given that it has a lower operating window than the Cup 2 and other more track biased tyres. This is evident in the graining still present now so maybe i should attend at times when the ambient temps are lower or go for Cup 2's next time round.
post #87 of 145 (permalink) Old 21st June 2018, 13:08
Supporter

Garage
from a spectator viewpoint, craner doesn't worry me. the old hairpin does. seen far too many overcook it on the brakes coming down through craner and end up autocrossing it or a kiss on the barrier.

you've just made my mind up between ps4s and cup2's. cup2's it is. no idea how the neova, R888r's or whatever else are like on the CTR - it's a heavy car compared to most track stuff so need the right tyres to cope with the abuse they get.

the MSE events (abingdon) sell out far to early to know whats going on with temps or rain, so gotta book months in advance. aside from the chewing of rubber on the RT2's, they've recovered well just being on the road so any of the lighter wear on the tyres should wear off and be temporary. I figure looking at what options Porsche owners use on the track is probably a good way forward.
post #88 of 145 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2018, 08:33
Supporter

Garage
back to brakes again..
fronts: anyone used the 2 piece discs from the likes of tarox or girodisc? seem to get good reviews for each brand and not much difference between the two. price wise (apart from TDI-North) says the girodisc is a class above tarox. Do these last substantially longer than OEM discs for a daily&track car? it's a decent wedge of loot to spend out on without a lot of research.

rears: has anyone seen what the more track orientated fk2's are running? i cant believe they're running just uprated pads on stock system.

Last edited by veehexx; 3rd July 2018 at 08:37.
post #89 of 145 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2018, 10:41
Supporter

Garage
No experience with the two piece discs but the standard discs coped well for me at Donington and they got very hot, pads were smoking and my nicely painted bells were incinerated front and back. For me it will be a simular situation to tyres and when i next go it will be when ambient temps are lower thus putting less heat through everything.
post #90 of 145 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2018, 13:33
Supporter

Garage
i glazed the HC800 pads. got a feeling the discs are glazed as well (brother thinks not; no discolouration), but yeah, they held up well.
i've heard the 2peice discs (more down to quality than 2peice itself) last substantially longer. some claim 22 trackdays&road on the girodiscs on porsche forums (rennlist iirc). highly doubt the OEM hondas can handle that so I'm almost sold on the benefits.

so little info for FK2 track... feels like I'm at the bleeding edge and on a discovery tour. Dream have agreed with me and said the rears just aren't up to track and the only real option is high end pads and their own drilled discs to manage the heat. It's a start. Not much room to fit brake cooling ducts on the rear either. i've eyeballed 55-60mm tubing at most and if cutting the backplate to mount ducting there, a 45degree arm likely needed to avoid contact. it's on my job list probably after next trackday...

I cant find much on what amateur competitive fk2 solutions look like. on the pro side, Syncro motorsports will be too bespoke, pricy and not road legal (much like BTCC/WTCC options), civic cup doesn't seem to cover the K20C1 base, and here we are with vastly undersized rear brakes that's also used on the standard 9G civic. fine for the road, but not TypeR that'll be able to get far more heat into them.
post #91 of 145 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2018, 19:29 Thread Starter
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 Championship White FN2
Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,107 Posts
Eco display
TGM built a track FK2 that runs in a 24hr series. Maybe try checking what setup they used, though like Synchro it may not be road legal/suitable.
post #92 of 145 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2018, 20:45
Supporter

Garage
worth a shot... see what they come back with. I think I might already know what the answer will be.... if Dream and TDI-N dont have anything listed on their sites...
post #93 of 145 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 11:09
Supporter

Garage
next trackday being planned if anyone wants to tag along: Fri 7th September @ abingdon with MSE. will be booking sometime over the next week.

fingers crossed it's a cool dry day!
post #94 of 145 (permalink) Old 7th July 2018, 11:56
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
fronts: anyone used the 2 piece discs from the likes of tarox or girodisc?

i got speaking with CenterGravity again which see a lot of porsche and track machines so i figured i'd pick their brains with discs. they've got a guy who does 30+ days/yr in a dedicated track car on 2peice girodiscs and claim he's at 5 years without replacements.

Currently i can see me changing the OEM's mid/late next year so 3.5-4yrs but thats 24k road & 1 trackday. track will become more dominant and might go for 5 days next year (insurance included 5 events/yr) assuming i've got brakes, tyres and geometry sorted.
post #95 of 145 (permalink) Old 8th July 2018, 13:09
Supporter

Garage
Just more thoughts on the tyre issue that are relevant and that is track temperature. As seen in the F1 this week although ambient temps were around 26 degrees track temperature was 52 degrees. So if it were say 25 and cloudy track temps would i imagine be half of that than if it were sunny making a big difference to someone like myself on a non track dedicated tyre.
post #96 of 145 (permalink) Old 9th July 2018, 08:17
Supporter

Garage
yep, these RT2's struggled on 21c air temps. No idea on track temp but clear sunny skies would probably make it 10-15c warmer.
I'm avoiding summer peak trackdays partly due to tyres, but also oil temps - would be far to easy to get it too high in a short space of time without an additional oil cooler.

I've been told the cup2's would be fine in the recent 25c+ weather.
post #97 of 145 (permalink) Old 11th July 2018, 09:39
Supporter

Garage
abingdon booked, 7th sept. hoping rear brakes last & weather is nice.

mallory park is another local track, similar price as abingdon, but some parts don't have much runoff. Currently i'd rather have an escape route as i dont have much faith in the brakes yet.

probably do another early '19 abingdon day with the cup2's and if all is sorted, look at a donny event mid '19.
post #98 of 145 (permalink) Old 12th July 2018, 11:49
Supporter

Garage
After losing my nicely painted hubs after Donny i have redone them all in a satin vht, very happy with the look just hope they can take a trackday.

Farqui likes this.
post #99 of 145 (permalink) Old 13th July 2018, 12:47
Supporter

Garage
I've gone and bought some bits for rear brake cooling. wont be delivered till next week sometime so first i'll get on it in is next weekend. I'll whack up pictures once i've figured it out.

rear brakes apart once again, but at least it's improvements and not fixing/diagnosing.
post #100 of 145 (permalink) Old 18th July 2018, 08:42
Supporter

Garage
anyone use data logging? i'm torn between racechrono and harrys laptimer but swaying towards RC. Amazon warehouse had a reasonably well discounted Garmin GLO external GPS unit on offer last night so was hard to pass up.
waiting for the obdlink/scantool LX dongle to come down to a sensible price again and likely end up with that if i cant get my 10yr old elm327 reader working reliably. keeps freezing the data stream every 3-4secs but looks like it could be fast enough for rpm&throttle only monitoring.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page