Civinfo

Civinfo (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/)
-   9G Type R (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/9g-type-r/)
-   -   FK2 Track Day Discussion (https://www.civinfo.com/forum/9g-type-r/300513-fk2-track-day-discussion.html)

Loxy 23rd April 2016 19:52

FK2 Track Day Discussion
 
New thread to keep this out of the general "New Type R" discussion thread.

The idea is to:
  • Post up what track days you are going on
  • Post up any track day mods or prep you have done
  • Post up any issues or observations during or after the day
  • Ask any questions of the seasoned veterans
etc.

I get that most of that will be generic, but could be useful on the whole. :)

Loxy 23rd April 2016 20:00

Right then, kicking this off...

I've decided that rather than trying force mods on a car that isn't so far lending itself overly to being modded, I'm going to put that money into taking it on track days.

I realised this when hovering over the buy button on a third set of alloys and tyres, and being really honest, none of the exhausts released to date improve on the sound of it. So what is the point? It doesn't need more power to be fun, and any more is just willy waving!

Track days will also help me with understanding the car more, as I've been going through the same old thing of what's the point having a high spec 300bhp commuter wagon and I've had the epiphany that I need to use the other side of the car too to appreciate what a car it is.

I'm not saying I won't mod it. Intercooler, better discs and pads, geo tweaks may all be some things that get a look in as long as there is a reason for it and it doesn't detract from the daily duties.

That's my stall set out and on to my first question.

I've had a gander on Honda Karma regarding towing points and found this page: Honda Civic Type-R Emergency Towing Procedures

On Track Days I've been on before you needed to have towing eyes fitted before going out etc. Since the front aren't easily accessible and the rear centre one has a panel covering it over, has anyone ever had any issues on track days?

I don't think there is much in the way of an elegant long term fixed solution but open to ideas!

nunoctr 23rd April 2016 22:29

I would only buy some ds2500 pads and some Michelin sport cup 2 tyres. This two mods are a must for track day.

And the dte pedalbox also. I don't drive the car anymore without it

veehexx 24th April 2016 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loxy (Post 4042009)
Right then, kicking this off...

I've decided that rather than trying force mods on a car that isn't so far lending itself overly to being modded, I'm going to put that money into taking it on track days.

I realised this when hovering over the buy button on a third set of alloys and tyres, and being really honest, none of the exhausts released to date improve on the sound of it. So what is the point? It doesn't need more power to be fun, and any more is just willy waving!

Track days will also help me with understanding the car more, as I've been going through the same old thing of what's the point having a high spec 300bhp commuter wagon and I've had the epiphany that I need to use the other side of the car too to appreciate what a car it is.

I'm not saying I won't mod it. Intercooler, better discs and pads, geo tweaks may all be some things that get a look in as long as there is a reason for it and it doesn't detract from the daily duties.

That's my stall set out and on to my first question.

I've had a gander on Honda Karma regarding towing points and found this page: Honda Civic Type-R Emergency Towing Procedures

On Track Days I've been on before you needed to have towing eyes fitted before going out etc. Since the front aren't easily accessible and the rear centre one has a panel covering it over, has anyone ever had any issues on track days?

I don't think there is much in the way of an elegant long term fixed solution but open to ideas!

remus is purely a noise thing for me. when i made the choice to buy, it was down to being so unimpressed with the stock noise level of the standard system.
the power increase it brought i don't care about or was even a buying decision. I did take a leap of faith on the remus, and hoping it wont be too noisy on cruise. Time will tell on it all when it (hopefully) gets fitted in the next week or so. all the milltek owners/first person listen say it's sounds different in real life than videos so i'm taking any video clips with a pinch of salt with reguard to the noise.
I also came to the realisation that it wont sound like the old NA VTEC's of old.. that era is on borrow time thanks to emission laws. If it doesn't work out, then it's a learning experience.

wholheartly agree with the power. i find 300+bhp in this car is a dangerous game. Car being so capable, you have to be into high figures for the car to come alive. i dont see much point in high gain mods for the street other than willy waving. track might be another thing, but also an expensive game when your into any regular organized events.

i am interested in some cheap & safe track days, or airfield days this year if funds and calendar allow.

Interesting info about the towing points too. 2 front hooks - would they be strong enough to jack the car up, or is it purely for horizontal tow? They weren't mentioned in my 'jacking up' thread i posted last weekend. Since you mention track days and some circuits have kitty litter that cars dig into, would these be suitable for both purposes (bearing in mind the gravel will add a lot of resistance to horizontal tow).
From my s2k days, i seem to think that rwd it's ideal to have tow hook on the front, fwd as tow hook on the rear as thats likely the tow side if you do run out of talent. maybe just a tow sticker would be the right choice; one on bumper, one on under-car panel so the tow guys can see it?

veehexx 24th April 2016 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by nunoctr (Post 4042689)
I would only buy some ds2500 pads and some Michelin sport cup 2 tyres. This two mods are a must for track day.

And the dte pedalbox also. I don't drive the car anymore without it

after looking at the remus responder device (not available for the CTR), it just seems to change the mid-throttle curve? 0% and 100% throttle are unchanged. is it really that beneficial for track use once you use +R?

dweezle 24th April 2016 15:23

Nuno did a review here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/9g-type...ox-review.html I'm toying with the idea +R response but keeping the standard ride is very appealing

riche 25th April 2016 08:46

I certainly hope the standard discs can take a trackday or two, would be very disappointing if this wasn,t the case. I really want the FK2 to be my next car but the jury's still out.

veehexx 25th April 2016 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by riche (Post 4045921)
I certainly hope the standard discs can take a trackday or two, would be very disappointing if this wasn,t the case. I really want the FK2 to be my next car but the jury's still out.

Me too. Can't beleive that guy on CTRO that dweezle cross posted over here has chewed through a few sets already because of track. i think we have had a few guys track it without issue, but maybe problems are only showing after a few events.
Coming from the s2k, it's well known the brakes arent upto track standard on that car. Dixcel seemed to be highly rated but no discs for the FK2 yet. They do sell pads..

Loxy 25th April 2016 09:41

I'm contemplating just swapping the pads for some Project Mu HC800 pads and seeing how I get on.

The chap on CTRO got his discs replaced under warranty which is comical considering what some people have been refused on warranty claims so far. :lol:

I'm going to book Croft with LOT/HOT for July on Friday payday.

Loxy 3rd May 2016 16:20

Bought the Project Mu pads and booked Croft over the weekend. :)

dweezle 3rd May 2016 19:31

Exhaust turned up yet

Loxy 3rd May 2016 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweezle (Post 4071761)
Exhaust turned up yet

It's all gone quiet. :(

dweezle 3rd May 2016 20:11

Typical, are all these companies making them to order, seems to take ages once payment is made, think veehexx has been waiting a mth

veehexx 4th May 2016 08:50

Yeah, not far off a month since placing the order.
I could of had the system excluding the tail pipe trim, but i figured it's worth doing it right first time. Wont get the fitment right without the tips to measure against the rear valance. Hoping to get a ring from TDI this week saying its arrived.

Aside from being impatient by not having something I've paid for, I'm not too worried. Not like it's keeping the car off the road.

veehexx 4th May 2016 11:29

reply on FB since they spammed the system is now in stock.

"
It has been sent direct from Austria, and is due for delivery to them today"

soon :D also nice to see the FB guys knowing whats going on!


veehexx 4th May 2016 15:39

touchdown! Remus has landed and fitment will be done on Friday 13th

Loxy 4th May 2016 15:45

Chased mine, no sign of it yet. Can't say I'm ecstatic about that fact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veehexx (Post 4074073)
Friday 13th

Good luck!

veehexx 4th May 2016 16:20

i'll need it.. battling the M6 between brum & manc.

Loxy 4th May 2016 16:25

TDi ordered you new gaskets or risking the old ones will be OK?

I've ordered new just in case... Turbo gasket is the expensive one for me, but your cat is staying on, so you'll be OK on that one!

veehexx 4th May 2016 16:31

no gaskets ordered, guess we'll see. i assume the front bolt flange doesnt have a gasket and it's just an interferance style face?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:18.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vB.Sponsors
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
See also Jaginfo Jaguar XF Forum

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome