Android Auto Update - Civinfo
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 24th February 2017, 15:06 Thread Starter
Deluded FK2 Owner

Car: 2015 CTR, Milano Red
Garage
Android Auto Update

There's been talk on a few CTR groups of an update for the FK2 head unit in development that will bring Android Auto/ Apple Car play support. Any body know if this is BS or something actually gonna happen? I guess it'd be available to all 9G models with the infotainment, although, the FK2 CTR was the model being mentioned specifically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 24th February 2017, 22:04
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
not heard of anything, but sounds good if true.
Synysterjmz likes this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 26th February 2017, 14:08

Car: 2016 CTR GT, Polished Metal
Garage
Don't believe that at all. What sense would it make for Honda? All FK2s are sold (at least to dealers) and the new platform is already here. They wouldn't invest in any updates apart from bugfixes. Also bringing aa or CarPlay to the FK2 would mean one less reason to upgrade to the new model which means fewer business for Honda. While obviously I would welcome such an upgrade it sounds highly unlikely.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 26th February 2017, 20:10
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Won't happen unless someone updates/hacks one of the RC roms. Honda wont do as said above... we will be lucky to get many more RC updates patching bugs issues beyond the current RC 6... defiantly no new features.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Steve_m likes this.

Last edited by Bog; 27th February 2017 at 11:49.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 27th February 2017, 09:36
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey all.

I see your point about why would Honda bother on the 9G generation, but the reality is the cars headunit doesn't work as was advertised.
Mirrorlink is not working for example and needs to be.

The current platform isn't that old and why would current buyers think of upgrading to another Honda if Honda didn't look after them atleast a little with their current generation Civic?

It could go either way but it's entirely plausible that Honda issue an update for our headunit.

Ian
Synysterjmz likes this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 27th February 2017, 09:53 Thread Starter
Deluded FK2 Owner
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice View Post
Hey all.

I see your point about why would Honda bother on the 9G generation, but the reality is the cars headunit doesn't work as was advertised.
Mirrorlink is not working for example and needs to be.

The current platform isn't that old and why would current buyers think of upgrading to another Honda if Honda didn't look after them atleast a little with their current generation Civic?

It could go either way but it's entirely plausible that Honda issue an update for our headunit.

Ian
This is a good shout. The update early this year was *supposed* to fix all the issues with the head unit, including the MirrorLink- however, this hasn't happened as mine still doesn't work, despite trying it with various handsets Honda claims to support. I'm skeptical about it all and I've asked someone I know who works in Honda to find out a bit more, but some people on these other groups seem adamant that it's happening. Guess all we can do is hope for the best.
Thanks to Synysterjmz from:
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 27th February 2017, 10:08
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synysterjmz View Post
This is a good shout. The update early this year was *supposed* to fix all the issues with the head unit, including the MirrorLink- however, this hasn't happened as mine still doesn't work, despite trying it with various handsets Honda claims to support. I'm skeptical about it all and I've asked someone I know who works in Honda to find out a bit more, but some people on these other groups seem adamant that it's happening. Guess all we can do is hope for the best.
Hey Buddy.

I'm still on RC3 I think, cars going in tomorrow for first years service so no doubt will be upgraded then. I did the 3rd party trick as soon as it was out and it satisfys the geek in me, although I've not installed many apps, the ones I have tried work well.

It is a waiting game sadly, will they, won't they? I hope they do and don't think in all honesty the car is old enough yet to be forgotten about, there will still be stock to sell (non-TypeR of coruse) even once the 10G is here.

Ian
Synysterjmz likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 1st March 2017, 10:25
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey All.

Just to add, my dealer also told me yesterday while picking up the car following it's first service, that a major update is coming towards mid March so this is good news.

Ian
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 1st March 2017, 11:59
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
Hey All.

Just to add, my dealer also told me yesterday while picking up the car following it's first service, that a major update is coming towards mid March so this is good news.

Ian
It seems a few dealers are saying this... @Steve_m have you heard anything? Can you ask some questions...
Thanks to Bog from:
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 1st March 2017, 12:59

Car: 2019 CR-V Hybrid SR 2.0i-MMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
It seems a few dealers are saying this... @Steve_m have you heard anything? Can you ask some questions...
Yes, and it includes Apple CarPlay and Android auto.

its called 10G
Bog likes this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 1st March 2017, 13:27
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
Yes, and it includes Apple CarPlay and Android auto.

its called 10G

Lol. I can't wait for the skeptics to eat humble pie if it does become available

Ian
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 19:59

Car: 2016 CTR GT, Polished Metal
Garage
Quote:
Lol. I can't wait for the skeptics to eat humble pie if it does become available

Ian
It will be the best humble pie I've ever eaten but I still don't believe it for one second..
Bog and Synysterjmz like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 20:20
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmigurt View Post
It will be the best humble pie I've ever eaten but I still don't believe it for one second..
Some already have RC6 it seems;

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1754

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...179549/page176

Ian
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 20:38
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
RC6 has been around since January... poss before Xmas. Mirrorlink still doesn't work

Last edited by Bog; 6th March 2017 at 21:41.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 20:41
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
RC has been around since January... poss before Xmas. Mirrorlink still doesn't work

RC has been around since the TypeR came out, mines still on RC3 to my knowledge, then there was RC4 (have this downloaded in fact) and RC5. The UK is awaiting RC6 release to dealers.

Ian
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 21:48
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
I think you need to do a bit more research... RC stands for release candidate and is not unique to the Type R... it's the same connect system as in the standard Civics. The Jazz and CRV also have same system, but the RC is slightly different due to the different characteristics of the different cars such as the Jazz not having an imid. Check the forum, you will see many have already got the RC6 update including me. My CRV was done 4 weeks ago.

More info here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312482

Last edited by Bog; 6th March 2017 at 21:52.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 23:16
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
I think you need to do a bit more research... RC stands for release candidate and is not unique to the Type R... it's the same connect system as in the standard Civics. The Jazz and CRV also have same system, but the RC is slightly different due to the different characteristics of the different cars such as the Jazz not having an imid. Check the forum, you will see many have already got the RC6 update including me. My CRV was done 4 weeks ago.

More info here: Head Unit Connect still fails after software upgrade - Civinfo

I didn't say it was unique to the TypeR and I know the iMid isn't fitted solely to this vehicle. However I'm participating in a topic within the TypeR section of this forum and have a TypeR with said iMid, so naturally my conversations revolve around that.

No more research is needed, from my travelling of the various forums I'm lead to believe that RC6 is the next release for the system fitted to the TypeR.
With this said the dealer didn't have this rumoured RC6 for my head unit and so I can only assume your Honda has a later version head unit to have received this level of update before mine? Or does the R's unit have more integration and thus need more programming/testing?
I think there is a couple of different varients of said head unit, different manufacturers I've seen, again taken from the forums. But then I could be comparing EU spec to US.

The topic is that there is supposedly a new update coming, which has been touted as being RC6, as your vehicle already has this it just confuses the issue further.
I'm trying to recall now if the later CRV's had a slightly different iMid system, again recalling forum conversations.

I think the best thing is to wait and see if/what is released for us R owners and go from there, as there is obviously differences in the range that is just polluting the conversation.

Ian

Last edited by coolice; 6th March 2017 at 23:21.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th March 2017, 06:35
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
I didn't say it was unique to the TypeR and I know the iMid isn't fitted solely to this vehicle. However I'm participating in a topic within the TypeR section of this forum and have a TypeR with said iMid, so naturally my conversations revolve around that.

No more research is needed, from my travelling of the various forums I'm lead to believe that RC6 is the next release for the system fitted to the TypeR.
With this said the dealer didn't have this rumoured RC6 for my head unit and so I can only assume your Honda has a later version head unit to have received this level of update before mine? Or does the R's unit have more integration and thus need more programming/testing?
I think there is a couple of different varients of said head unit, different manufacturers I've seen, again taken from the forums. But then I could be comparing EU spec to US.

The topic is that there is supposedly a new update coming, which has been touted as being RC6, as your vehicle already has this it just confuses the issue further.
I'm trying to recall now if the later CRV's had a slightly different iMid system, again recalling forum conversations.

I think the best thing is to wait and see if/what is released for us R owners and go from there, as there is obviously differences in the range that is just polluting the conversation.

Ian
Check with another dealer as it seems some dont have it or are unwilling to update for free. I'm sure RC6 is available for the Type R too. It's basically just an update for bug fixes.

The CR-V's iMID is the same as the Civics, but with less functionality as the CR-V has 3rd info screen in the middle of the speedo. The iMID and it's software is independent of the Honda Connect's System and the basically talk to each other via the CANBUS network. In fact, believe it or not, the iMID is a full computer in it's own right... it's has a system board behind it that runs a version of windows CE/Auto (Very similar to the 8g Nav system DVD/Brain). In the Type R, the iMID software has more functionality than standard Civics as it has the performance data/gauges. AFIK, the connect system is the same in all Civics and CR-Vs, but slightly different firmware. The US models run a different version of Android ... 4.1 I think whereas ours are 4.04.. Not sure why and never understood why we didn't get Android 5 or 6... the HU's are capable of running it.

I'm sure @Steve_m will confirm if the current RC6 update is includes the Type R.

Last edited by Bog; 7th March 2017 at 08:04.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th March 2017, 08:44

Car: 2019 CR-V Hybrid SR 2.0i-MMD
Quote:

I'm sure @Steve_m will confirm if the current RC6 update is includes the Type R.

RC6 is available for all EU models with Honda Connect (inc. Type R) and was released in January.
Thank You to Steve_m from 2 Users:
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 8th March 2017, 11:52 Thread Starter
Deluded FK2 Owner
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
RC6 is available for all EU models with Honda Connect (inc. Type R) and was released in January.
Was this the update that was supposed to fix the crap that doesn't work? (constant crashing, mirror link, mpg history)

Civinfo > Civic Type R > 9G Type R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page