17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 11:27 Thread Starter
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
Honda e? Tempted...

Chaps n chapesses.

I'm getting all the marketing material on the new Honda e and have to say I'm quite tempted to get one as a daily...
Anyone else tempted??
Won't get one until they've let me test it for a day to ensure it'll work for my commute etc, but seriously considering - if the numbers are right of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 11:50
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
I could be but 120mile range in reality with electrics and ac running will be 100 miles, this is simply to expensive for the range it offers IMO and could easily leave me screwed looking for a charge every now and then. Just as a example my parents live in Scotland so say I wanted to use this to visit the 145 minute drive to scotch corner will now require an extra 40minutes and a charge once I arrive and then a charge before I get there even though this is only around 230miles from us.

I would rather see something like a CRZ with 16" of rear legroom (shorter bonnet to make this possible on same wheelbase) with a proper hybrid system of full electric with a small engine to provide power to run the motors a bit like the i3/i8 setup

Last edited by RickHondaR; 8th September 2019 at 11:55.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 14:07
Supporter

Car: 10G Civic Prestige
Nothing electric this side of an i8 / P1 is tempting me ...

For the practicality, it's still got a long way to catch up, whilst day-to-day verifications previously routine are generally not a consideration in modern lifestyles ....

Legislation, development, infrastructure changes and the doubtless changes in taxation are what will make me change ...

Al.
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 14:11
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
the doubtless changes in taxation are what will make me change ...
Just like they did on diesel?
Jon_G likes this.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 14:34
Clutch pedal guru

I intend to run my 180k mile Civic 2.2 for as long as possible. No electric car is going to want me to swap unless you can charge it in the same time it takes to fill up a car when you have to stop for fuel.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 20:49
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
I intend to run my 180k mile Civic 2.2 for as long as possible. No electric car is going to want me to swap unless you can charge it in the same time it takes to fill up a car when you have to stop for fuel.
Its not charge time that puts me off, especially from a commuter point of view, its actually being able to charge it thats is my main issue. At the moment, even though I live in an End Terrace, id need to stretch a cable over a public foot path, then a 12 foot grass verge, and that's only if the space across from my back gate is available, I have no guaranteed way of charging an electric car. Just imagine the field day Pikeys would have robbing cables, never mind the litigation when someone trips over the cable, if its actually around long enough.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 21:32
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Its not charge time that puts me off, especially from a commuter point of view, its actually being able to charge it thats is my main issue. At the moment, even though I live in an End Terrace, id need to stretch a cable over a public foot path, then a 12 foot grass verge, and that's only if the space across from my back gate is available, I have no guaranteed way of charging an electric car. Just imagine the field day Pikeys would have robbing cables, never mind the litigation when someone trips over the cable, if its actually around long enough.
Das, did you really just use the "P" word
Das likes this.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 8th September 2019, 22:11
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
You no allowed tae likes?
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 08:24
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
They're a protected Species You just cannae slag them...
bill ericay likes this.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 09:22
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
I loved the concept.. production version looks a bit naff in comparison unfortunately but still a nice vehicle. Feels like Honda are trying to be the "Apple" brand for cars, ie not as big/fast/functional as the competition but sell more just 'cos it looks cool (like an iphone).

Lots of money though for what it is IMHO, too small and not enough range for me but i can see the appeal for young /urban types.

e-niro or kona ev's are similar price but more space and double the range (but admittedly not as cool).

model 3 isn't that much more money, certainly not much more per month if you're leasing.. much better vehicle and 240 mile range for the standard model, 300+ for the long range jobbie.

The "sports ev" concept is very nice - no use for me though as i need 4 proper seats

Civic_Outcast likes this.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 15:39
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
I love that Sports EV.

In relation to the Extension Cable... How often do you currently <---(see what I did there) Run a Diesel hose out of your house to fill your car ? (The Dyds'd have a field day !)
Lamp post charging is coming.
and charging at Supermarkets etc etc etc

But the biggest issue for me is the initial cost of one. I don't do *** and I sure as feck aint paying Schizoid money either !

*Private Purchase Leasing is starred out ?
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 18:07
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic_Outcast View Post
I love that Sports EV.
Lamp post charging is coming.
You do know a lot of LED streetlights now run at 24v and low current don't you... sorry but that's not going to charge anything!
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 18:08
Supporter

I have about a 30 mile commute each day - it is something that would tempt me for sure as I love the looks but I will not be able to afford one brand new and not sure about picking one up second hand in a few years.

Time will tell I suppose.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 19:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
You do know a lot of LED streetlights now run at 24v and low current don't you...
You do know that the step down in voltage is done from the mains supply at the lamp don't you...
Civic_Outcast and nturnb like this.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 20:30
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
You do know that the step down in voltage is done from the mains supply at the lamp don't you...
Not on the ones I've seen recently - 24V from the feeder pillar...???
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 9th September 2019, 22:17 Thread Starter
Earth Dreams :)
** Thread starter **

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
I'm quite fortunate to have a charging station at home, which diverts from solar panels and also have charging at work for free.. so think the 65mile commute each way is possible and feasible. Would also be good for local shopping etc IMO.
Still have the FK8 or merc for longer stints so quite tempted.. but, have to test drive it first and insist I do a days commute to see what it really like.
But good to gain everyone's feedback and opinion, I'm not 100% sold yet, but the daughter has her eye on my cr-z..
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 06:34
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
I "commuted" to work last night in an EV. My colleague has a Smart Forfour EV. Very quiet, however, he's found that if he uses the 50mph A Road to Edinburgh instead of the Motorway he gets better KWh's. Downside, that means it takes longer to get there.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 09:03
Supporter

Car: 2015 Civic Tourer D-TEC SR
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgo8 View Post
I'm quite fortunate to have a charging station at home, which diverts from solar panels and also have charging at work for free.. so think the 65mile commute each way is possible and feasible. Would also be good for local shopping etc IMO.
Still have the FK8 or merc for longer stints so quite tempted.. but, have to test drive it first and insist I do a days commute to see what it really like.
But good to gain everyone's feedback and opinion, I'm not 100% sold yet, but the daughter has her eye on my cr-z..
if i had your setup (solar at home, charge at work) i'd jump at this. any option to get one as a company car maybe? BIK for electric is zero from april i believe...

i think this is the future - personally just can't justify the big bucks right now for a 30+ car but when prices start to before more affordable then why wouldn't you?
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 09:39
Super Moderator

The future is loads of people queuing at charging points. More cars running out of 'fuel' on motorways causing KSI pile ups due to no hard shoulder, 'lights going out' around the country because we can't generate enough electricity now we seem hell bent on 'renewables' by scrapping the coal/gas fired power stations, theft of charge cables etc. etc.
I could go on. Madness.

What is the actual cost in CO2 emissions compared with petrol? And I mean in manufacturing and electricity generation. Not daily running which is pretty obviously zero and will please the tree huggers no end, as they are passing off their CO2 production to 'someone else'.
stoo likes this.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10th September 2019, 10:21

Garage
When it was first unveiled I thought it could be a viable pure electric vehicle with a decent range. Unfortunately the range is just far too short for me to consider. Anything less than 350 miles on a full charge, bearing in mind it will likely reach 80% capacity after 5 years, just doesn't meet my requirements. If you can afford/have the space for a 'long range/holiday car' and a 'commute car' it does look pretty decent though.

My current Civic will be my last pure petrol vehicle and am spying in a few years time a plug-in hybrid. The main reasons are that most of the time - travelling short distances I will just be using the electric motor, then plug in at night. When I want to travel further, the petrol engine kicks in and I'm not stuck with waiting for, or finding a charging point every hour or during the journey.

The Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid is in my sights currently...

I wonder if the 11G Civic (if there is one) could have plug in hybrid options...

Last edited by stoo; 11th September 2019 at 07:47.

Civinfo > Off topic > Any non Civic chat here please!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in