All 10G Owners - a favour, please! - Civinfo
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 19:20 Thread Starter

Question All 10G Owners - a favour, please!

This relates to the parking sensors alerting "Warning:Approaching Object" when driving slowly or stopped, and there isn't anything in the way. Even if you've not seen this problem, please could answer a couple of questions to help me find the problem?

Take a look at the attached photo.

1. Have you ever had the problem mentioned above, how often, and is it after rain?
2. How high and thick is your numberplate holder compared to mine?

I'm hoping that there will be some sort of pattern, so I'd appreciate as many answers as possible.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2157a.jpg (110.6 KB, 177 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 19:33
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2018 Civic 1.0 SR Manual
The number plate holder should be standard.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 20:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmckelvie View Post
The number plate holder should be standard.
Thanks - I had assumed that they were dealer-fit.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 21st May 2017, 21:56

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Yep, it's standard. It's the same one on mine.
Never had that problem though.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 10:02

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
All 10G Owners - a favour, please!

I encountered exactly the same problem recently in a 10G service loaner I got to drive overnight. If the car gets wet due to rain (even after the rain has stopped) you will get an intermittent or permanent approaching object warning when moving slowly or when stopped. It's like the rain droplets getting are caught in the edges of the sensor and that is being picked up as an object. Only different between the 10G sensor and my 9G is that the 10G ones are flush and have a small ring whereas on my 9G it is the traditional proud fit drilled bumper hole type. Note I was driving a sedan and not a hatch. We also have a slimline front plate with plenty of room around the edges, so I don't believe the sensors are incorrectly detecting the plate holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vti07; 22nd May 2017 at 10:08.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 10:12

Car: 2012 1.8 5 door,White Orchid
All 10G Owners - a favour, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vti07 View Post
I encountered exactly the same problem recently in a 10G service loaner I got to drive overnight. If the car gets wet due to rain (even after the rain has stopped) you will get an intermittent or permanent approaching object warning when moving slowly or when stopped. It's like the rain droplets getting are caught in the edges of the sensor and that is being picked up as an object. Only different between the 10G sensor and my 9G is that the 10G ones are flush and have a small ring whereas on my 9G it is the traditional proud fit drilled bumper hole type. Note I was driving a sedan and not a hatch. We also have a slimline front plate with plenty of room around the edges, so I don't believe the sensors are incorrectly detecting the plate holder. I found the beeps annoying, it is enough to put me off from upgrading to a 10G. Yes, you can manually switch off the sensors but then you might forget to re-enable them needed. I do not know if they reset back to default "on" position like engine stop/start or VSA at the start of each journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mods, please delete this blank post thanks.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 10:13
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Sometimes happens on the CR-V when raining. The CR-V has the flush style sensors too.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 10:37
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.5 S-Design GT Blue
Happens regularly on two other makes of car I drive. Seems worse after the cars have been waxed so probably due to beading water droplets. Seems to vanish after leaving my drive, I think the warnings only activate at very slow speeds, presume Honda are the same?
Bog likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 13:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerv View Post
Happens regularly on two other makes of car I drive. Seems worse after the cars have been waxed so probably due to beading water droplets. Seems to vanish after leaving my drive, I think the warnings only activate at very slow speeds, presume Honda are the same?
It seems to be about 15mph. I've had it go constantly for about a minute while driving round a car park. Turning the sensors off stop it, but given I'm about to park, I'd probably forget and hit something!

I checked, and the sensors and surrounding bumper were completely dry when it happened, but I didn't look at the numberplate at the time.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2017, 13:57
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.5 S-Design GT Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by foddy View Post
It seems to be about 15mph. I've had it go constantly for about a minute while driving round a car park. Turning the sensors off stop it, but given I'm about to park, I'd probably forget and hit something!

I checked, and the sensors and surrounding bumper were completely dry when it happened, but I didn't look at the numberplate at the time.
Might be worth giving the sensors a bit of a clean, if you haven't already. My present car (Soon to be Honda!) was not well PDI'd. The sensors were still coated in pre delivery wax.

I am interested in this topic myself. Perhaps the sensors are a bit too agressive, as I noticed a few beeps when I was manoevering my test car with no other vehicles being very close.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 29th May 2017, 13:58

I have the same issue with the front center parking sensor in my new Civic HB 1.5 CVT I got almost two weeks ago. I was at the dealer today and they confirmed something is wrong with that. They will order a new sensor and exchange it. Hopefully it will help.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 16:58

Car: 2017 SR CVT
My front sensor stopped working and that broke the sensors link so that none then worked. The sensor was replaced and after many tests the replacement was ALSO found to be faulty. In my SR which has now done 500 miles I am on my 3rd front sensor.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2017, 20:01

I just picked my 67 plate 1.0 SR yesterday and today my whole dashboard has been playing up.
It started with the front warning sensor coming on when getting close to a car in front and going straight to red warning. Even came on when I was about 6 feet away from my garage.
Took back in to the dealer and he was driving it round the car park and it was even going off when he was reversing the car, they have told me to turn the parking sensors off until they can get it in for service to look at it.
Also today I have had loads of amber warning lights come on at the same time and staying on.
Driving home tonight and the tyre pressure warning came on and has stopped on. Checked all tryers and they seem fine.
Not a very good experience for such a brand new car. You would think these things would be tested prior to leaving the factory.
Going to have to wait and see what the dealer says.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2017, 20:52
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzared View Post
I just picked my 67 plate 1.0 SR yesterday and today my whole dashboard has been playing up.
It started with the front warning sensor coming on when getting close to a car in front and going straight to red warning. Even came on when I was about 6 feet away from my garage.
Took back in to the dealer and he was driving it round the car park and it was even going off when he was reversing the car, they have told me to turn the parking sensors off until they can get it in for service to look at it.
Also today I have had loads of amber warning lights come on at the same time and staying on.
Driving home tonight and the tyre pressure warning came on and has stopped on. Checked all tryers and they seem fine.
Not a very good experience for such a brand new car. You would think these things would be tested prior to leaving the factory.
Going to have to wait and see what the dealer says.
ah no way, did you purchase from Kendal Honda?
hope they get you sorted, customer service from the Cox group is very good.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2017, 21:15

I purchased it from a dealer in Carlisle, the salesman couldn't of been more apologetic.
Hopefully it will just be a software glitch or something.
jamesmckelvie likes this.
Thanks to gazzared from:
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 6th September 2017, 17:39
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Quote:
I purchased it from a dealer in Carlisle, the salesman couldn't of been more apologetic.
Hopefully it will just be a software glitch or something.
hope all gets sorted quickly for you, keep us all updated with the progress\outcome. Thanks.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 6th September 2017, 17:44
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,429 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Do new cars have too much tech now ?
Farqui and 1066 Boy like this.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th September 2017, 14:18
Supporter

Car: Civic X 1.5 Sport SGP
Or is too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Do new cars have too much tech now ?
really just a matter of what there is being of the wrong caliber? In truth; isn't even the asking of that question symptomatic of there being too little of the right sort?

What we endure today is unreliable voice control and woefully inadequate human interactivity, minimal to zero interconnectivity, unsophisticated user profile setting and management, primitive fault reporting, marginal diagnostics and non existent adaptive 'work around' capabilities. etc. etc. The list goes on, but for a variety of reasons, unless driving around in a 'classic' from yestercentury is more preferable there's likely no going backwards.

Tech as used in this context also means computing and the widely accepted purpose of this is to better manage problems of large underlying complexity. Generally over time good tech solutions exhibit a tendency for these to shrink and even to disappear i.e. carburettors, points, choke, intermittent screen wiping, handbrake etc. The corollary to this is that whenever tech, by it's broader definition, gives you something such as ease of use i.e. motorised door windows. It may also take something away i.e. manual operation.

So for anyone who thinks there's too much tech in cars today the bad news is likely there's a lot more coming. The good news is it should inevitably look like less, work better and do more without demanding greater effort, involvement or know how from a user.

Would anyone ever ask the same question about trains, boats or 'planes?
jamesmckelvie likes this.

Last edited by logician; 7th September 2017 at 14:46.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 7th September 2017, 19:00

Car went into the dealer and they said that they have reset everything and should be sorted.
As soon as I drove the car off my drive the next morning same problem happened with the front parking sensor going off no where near a car.
The dealer has ordered 2 new sensors for the front, so I am just waiting for them to come in and get fitted.
Hopefully this should sort it.
Also just noticed that the auto wipers are very sensitive I have to have it turned all the way down and they are still going on constantly with very little rain.

Last edited by gazzared; 7th September 2017 at 19:04.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 18th January 2018, 16:25

Car: 2017 Civic Sport Plus
Quote:
Car went into the dealer and they said that they have reset everything and should be sorted.
As soon as I drove the car off my drive the next morning same problem happened with the front parking sensor going off no where near a car.
The dealer has ordered 2 new sensors for the front, so I am just waiting for them to come in and get fitted.
Hopefully this should sort it.
Also just noticed that the auto wipers are very sensitive I have to have it turned all the way down and they are still going on constantly with very little rain.
Did the replacement of the sensors fix the problem? My car does this when it's wet too. Very annoying. It's absolutely fine in the dry though.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page