Missing features and irritations - Civinfo
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 14:39 Thread Starter

Missing features and irritations

I was waiting for some time for the new Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback to be released in Europe (and in Germany where I reside) and when it came out I arranged a test drive. After being impressed by the ride quality of the car, the engine, the suspension, the new CVT transmission and many other qualities (although there were things like the very low seating and the dark roof which I did not like), I ordered the car.
In the meantime, I downloaded and read the English (U.S. as it proved) User's Guide.
When I received my car, I was surprised and annoyed by the omission of several handy features which were present in the U.S. version. I list them in order of descending handiness/importance:

1) Walk away auto lock: even though my car has the keyless access, it does not auto lock when one walks away with the key fob on him. To lock the car, you have to either press the button on the fob or the button on the door handle. This feature is clearly explained in the U.S. manual but is totally absent (the relevant pages are missing) in the German one and the relevant options are not present in the Honda Connect U.I. This feature is very convenient and I don't understand why it is absent.
2) Drive off auto lock: again, the feature of auto locking the car when reaching a certain speed is not present, either in the German manual or the U.I. I consider this an important security feature.
3) Auto headlight sensitivity adjustment: this feature is again absent from the manual and the U.I. The headlights do come on and go off automatically, as do the auto high-beam, but there is no adjustment of the sensitivity possible whatsoever.
4) Headlights angle adjustment: the angle of the headlights does not seem adjustable in this car, although it does not have "matrix" LED, only simple LED headlights. This is again irritating and something that is electrically adjustable even in very small and cheap cars. This feature is a very important security adjustment when the car has been loaded.
5) Remote engine start button on key fob: This is again missing from the European model. Again, this seems silly and cheapo for a 29000 Euro car.
6) Panic button on key fob: this is again a handy feature (to find your car) which is present in the U.S. car but missing from the European car.
7) Small tray in the center console: although the center console is very large and handy, it only has the big tray. The very handy small tray is missing. I don't understand why Honda would remove this small tray, which is very cheap, on a car priced 29000 euro that has other very expensive features.
8) Turbo meter: Although the car does have a turbo engine, this display is missing from the MID for the 1.0 lt. engine. Again, this seems silly and cheap for such an expensive car.

I have asked the dealer and Honda DE if it is possible to activate at least the first two (my opinion is that it is simply a software activation matter), but until now the only response that I've had is negative, with no real explanation why these are missing.

I have also found what seems like a bug in the software of the car. When in the vehicle settings it is configured that the navigation directions are not to be displayed in the main instrument display navigation page, this page and also the audio (!) screen of the instrument display turn a solid blue!

Does anybody else have a similar experience with European Civic 2017 models?

Last edited by Archangel Horus; 25th May 2017 at 17:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 15:14
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Point 2 - EU Regulations restrict this for safety.

Point 4 - Due to the high light output, the leveling is automatic as per Honda cars with HID headlights
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 16:37

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Point 8 - The 1.5T has the turbo meter.

A lot of those things you mention are true, but they do have far less options then the EU model like eg folding mirrors, panoramic roof, headlight washers, blind spot indicators, adaptive suspension, rear fog light, led fog lights,....
We want stuff they have and they want stuff we have

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 17:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

This is very true. In Europe there is a major feature which doesn't exist in the U.S., or at least it is not present in the manual. iLIM. This is an "intelligent" speed limiter where the car will use the traffic sign recognition system in order to impose a dynamic speed limit. This is extremely handy in Germany and France, where I use the car and has saved me a lot of trouble. I have tried to follow signs manually and it is very hard at low speeds. With this feature, it is a breeze. I should be willing to overlook the rest due to this excellent feature, but as you said, we want all! After all, we paid quite a lot of money, quite a bit more than the U.S. version, for a fairly small car.

For the turbo meter, indeed the 1.5 lt engine version does have it. Is it not silly to omit it in the 1.0 lt version?

Last edited by Archangel Horus; 25th May 2017 at 18:00.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 17:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
Point 2 - EU Regulations restrict this for safety.

Point 4 - Due to the high light output, the leveling is automatic as per Honda cars with HID headlights
For point 2 (drive off auto lock), I don't see then how a lot of car manufactures (to name a few the VW group, Mercedes and Renault) have these features with no problem. Is it only Honda that is legit?
For point 4 (headlight level), I can't see it functioning. And my impression was that this is only possible with light-shaping headlights (ie. matrix leds).

Last edited by Archangel Horus; 25th May 2017 at 17:58.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 17:52
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Are you sure those brands have manual control for hight adjustment of xenon/matrix leds?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 17:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Are you sure those brands have manual control for hight adjustment of xenon/matrix leds?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I mentioned these brands for the auto lock system. For the light leveling system, as far as I know automatic light leveling in the vertical and horizontal axis is only possible with motorized xenons and with matrix leds. The Civic has neither.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 18:13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Horus View Post
This is very true. In Europe there is a major feature which doesn't exist in the U.S., or at least it is not present in the manual. iLIM. This is an "intelligent" speed limiter where the car will use the traffic sign recognition system in order to impose a dynamic speed limit. This is extremely handy in Germany and France, where I use the car and has saved me a lot of trouble. I have tried to follow signs manually and it is very hard at low speeds.

For the turbo meter, indeed the 1.5 lt engine version does have it. Is it not silly to omit it in the 1.0 lt version?
So this is what the limiter is for. I found it stupid because I didn't know what it did exactly besides limiting the speed. Didn't know it adapts to the traffic sign recognition.

Maybe because the 1.0 is more of an "eco" car and the 1.5 the "sporty" one? No need for it on an eco car.

Quote:
For point 2 (drive off auto lock), I don't see then how a lot of car manufactures (to name a few the VW group, Mercedes and Renault) have these features with no problem. Is it only Honda that is legit?
I asked myself the same question. I find it stupid too. With a VW group car most of the time you can switch those things on with a Vag-Com or VCDS. There isn't something like this for Hinda.

Quote:
For the light leveling system, as far as I know automatic light leveling in the vertical and horizontal axis is only possible with motorized xenons and with matrix leds. The Civic has neither.
Are you sure it doesn't auto level? Because when you tow a trailer you have to adjust the height of the headlights so that you don't blind anybody.

Edit: did some research and you're right, the only adjustment you have is under the hood by the headlight itself.

Last edited by ikbenben; 25th May 2017 at 18:52.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 20:29
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.5 S-Design GT Blue
Perhaps there is no self leveling because on the sport version you cannot have a tow hitch?

I will be interested in this because as far as I know all cars in Ireland have to legally have adjustment of beam height by the driver if not self leveling.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 21:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

You don't have to tow something to need headlight pitch adjustment. It is enough to place something heavy in the trunk, or even two adults in the back seats. My car as far back as 2001 had such electric adjustment from inside the cabin, one that I have used often when carrying stuff with that and subsequent cars. And I can't believe that a car as advanced and modern as the 2017 Civic doesn't have one. I hope that I am wrong and that there is automatic adjustment after all, because there sure doesn't exist a manual (electric) one. But I haven't seen an indication of that so far and it is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Edit: By the way, the US manual (pg. 554) states: "The headlight aim is set by the factory, and does not need to be adjusted. However, if you regularly carry heavy items in the cargo area, have the aiming readjusted at a dealer or by a qualified technician." Doesn't seem promising or very handy to me!

Last edited by Archangel Horus; 25th May 2017 at 21:15.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 23:07

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerv View Post
Perhaps there is no self leveling because on the sport version you cannot have a tow hitch?

I will be interested in this because as far as I know all cars in Ireland have to legally have adjustment of beam height by the driver if not self leveling.
The Prestige also has the led headlights and on this one you can mount a hitch.

In Belgium too.

Quote:
Edit: By the way, the US manual (pg. 554) states: "The headlight aim is set by the factory, and does not need to be adjusted. However, if you regularly carry heavy items in the cargo area, have the aiming readjusted at a dealer or by a qualified technician." Doesn't seem promising or very handy to me!
For me it's not that important because I don't carry very often heavy items or passengers in the backseat. But I can see the problem for some people.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 06:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I see that you are from Belgium. Can I ask if the above stuff are missing from your car too? Does it auto lock when you walk away? When you drive off? What about headlight pitch? Does it automatically adjust? Do you have remote engine start on the key fob or the panic button?
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 08:10

Garage
Quote:
I see that you are from Belgium. Can I ask if the above stuff are missing from your car too? Does it auto lock when you walk away? When you drive off? What about headlight pitch? Does it automatically adjust? Do you have remote engine start on the key fob or the panic button?
Nope, same as you.

I don't think the dealer can just switch them on. On the US cars it's an option you can switch on and off in the menu screen.

Another thing I'm missing are the 18" wheels. I would rather have those then those awfull 17". Oh well, next year I buy some aftermarket (lightweight) wheels instead.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 08:19

Car: 2019 Civic 5D 1.5 Sport+
10G Civic with LED headlamps has auto height adjustment, same as 9G with LED/HID.

There is manual height adjustment on the headlamp for setting base height and then electronic control via motor following inputs from the front and rear suspension stroke sensors.

10G with halogen headlamps has electronic control via manual switch on dashboard.
ikbenben, eagerv and VladaBG like this.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 12:03

Car: 2005 2.2L CDTI Sport
Garage
I think the reason for not having auto-lock is to do with crahing and locking the occupants in the car. The VAG cars can unlock each door by pulling the handle once to unlock and then again to open, I know this is present in the Mini Cooper S too.

Without that capability, the auto locking is extermely dangerous and probably illegal under EU laws.

Having said that, I can't see how it would be difficult to install, seems like a cost saving action. If that feature doesn't affect car sales, I'm sure Honda would rather take the extra profit margin.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 12:44
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
If that feature doesn't affect car sales, I'm sure Honda would rather take the extra profit margin.

SO true of Honda... and short sighted!

They always seem to over engineer some things and leave out others.. little things like a shelf or compartment under the steering wheel for the driver... loads of space under there.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 17:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_m View Post
10G Civic with LED headlamps has auto height adjustment, same as 9G with LED/HID.
There is manual height adjustment on the headlamp for setting base height and then electronic control via motor following inputs from the front and rear suspension stroke sensors.
10G with halogen headlamps has electronic control via manual switch on dashboard.
This is very good news indeed. If it is, there is one worry less! Are you sure? Thanks!
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 17:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post
I think the reason for not having auto-lock is to do with crahing and locking the occupants in the car. The VAG cars can unlock each door by pulling the handle once to unlock and then again to open, I know this is present in the Mini Cooper S too.
Without that capability, the auto locking is extremely dangerous and probably illegal under EU laws.
Having said that, I can't see how it would be difficult to install, seems like a cost saving action. If that feature doesn't affect car sales, I'm sure Honda would rather take the extra profit margin.
I don't understand.
Each door can be unlocked by pulling the handle anyway. And an auto-locking car can auto-unlock the doors when stopping or in emergency. I think this is the case with the US model. And what about the walk away auto lock? How's this illegal? Why would a car equipped with keyless entry have this disabled in Europe?
This is not the only "strange" decision by Honda. Why would they also disable (among other things) the headlight auto operation sensitivity adjustment? I don't understand...
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 17:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
SO true of Honda... and short sighted!

They always seem to over engineer some things and leave out others.. little things like a shelf or compartment under the steering wheel for the driver... loads of space under there.
Me too. I can't understand how a company with such engineering excellence and the foresight to develop brilliant engines in time for the new market (ongoing change from diesel to petrol) can do this. A company who build in the car, even in base models, such effective and brilliant features, can omit silly little things like the small tray in the center console (for the 1.0 lt engine models).
It is like they are schizophrenic!
Anyway, don't get me wrong. I really like the Civic (pending proof of log-term reliability of' course).

Last edited by Archangel Horus; 27th May 2017 at 06:53.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 28th May 2017, 11:32
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
Quote:
This is very true. In Europe there is a major feature which doesn't exist in the U.S., or at least it is not present in the manual. iLIM. This is an "intelligent" speed limiter where the car will use the traffic sign recognition system in order to impose a dynamic speed limit. This is extremely handy in Germany and France, where I use the car and has saved me a lot of trouble. I have tried to follow signs manually and it is very hard at low speeds. With this feature, it is a breeze. I should be willing to overlook the rest due to this excellent feature, but as you said, we want all! After all, we paid quite a lot of money, quite a bit more than the U.S. version, for a fairly small car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikbenben View Post
So this is what the limiter is for. I found it stupid because I didn't know what it did exactly besides limiting the speed. Didn't know it adapts to the traffic sign recognition.
while i initally thought the 9gen missed this, i'm glad it doesnt now.
satnav: not accurate speed limits. i've seen it claim 30/40mph built up areas are 60.
Traffic sign: not reliable enough. mine sometimes picks up speed limits from other roads (slip road changes for example) and seems to clear the alert after about 30secs if it doesnt read another one. Sometimes it doesn't see them at all.

there's 2 bad signs near me. one pair covered in algea from the cover of trees - car doesnt read them. i also have a NSL sign at the end of our estate road, at the T-junction. Turn left; 30mph. right is 40. But if you come from our estate, the sign said NSL! car cant handle poor sign maintenance.

personally, instead of dynamic limiter, i'd rather it trigger a single speed warning so the driver can determine if the speed change is appropriate.

Last edited by veehexx; 28th May 2017 at 11:34.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page