Join Date: 25th May 2017
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Missing features and irritations
I was waiting for some time for the new Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback to be released in Europe (and in Germany where I reside) and when it came out I arranged a test drive. After being impressed by the ride quality of the car, the engine, the suspension, the new CVT transmission and many other qualities (although there were things like the very low seating and the dark roof which I did not like), I ordered the car.
In the meantime, I downloaded and read the English (U.S. as it proved) User's Guide.
When I received my car, I was surprised and annoyed by the omission of several handy features which were present in the U.S. version. I list them in order of descending handiness/importance:
1) Walk away auto lock: even though my car has the keyless access, it does not auto lock when one walks away with the key fob on him. To lock the car, you have to either press the button on the fob or the button on the door handle. This feature is clearly explained in the U.S. manual but is totally absent (the relevant pages are missing) in the German one and the relevant options are not present in the Honda Connect U.I. This feature is very convenient and I don't understand why it is absent.
2) Drive off auto lock: again, the feature of auto locking the car when reaching a certain speed is not present, either in the German manual or the U.I. I consider this an important security feature.
3) Auto headlight sensitivity adjustment: this feature is again absent from the manual and the U.I. The headlights do come on and go off automatically, as do the auto high-beam, but there is no adjustment of the sensitivity possible whatsoever.
4) Headlights angle adjustment: the angle of the headlights does not seem adjustable in this car, although it does not have "matrix" LED, only simple LED headlights. This is again irritating and something that is electrically adjustable even in very small and cheap cars. This feature is a very important security adjustment when the car has been loaded.
5) Remote engine start button on key fob: This is again missing from the European model. Again, this seems silly and cheapo for a 29000 Euro car.
6) Panic button on key fob: this is again a handy feature (to find your car) which is present in the U.S. car but missing from the European car.
7) Small tray in the center console: although the center console is very large and handy, it only has the big tray. The very handy small tray is missing. I don't understand why Honda would remove this small tray, which is very cheap, on a car priced 29000 euro that has other very expensive features.
8) Turbo meter: Although the car does have a turbo engine, this display is missing from the MID for the 1.0 lt. engine. Again, this seems silly and cheap for such an expensive car.
I have asked the dealer and Honda DE if it is possible to activate at least the first two (my opinion is that it is simply a software activation matter), but until now the only response that I've had is negative, with no real explanation why these are missing.
I have also found what seems like a bug in the software of the car. When in the vehicle settings it is configured that the navigation directions are not to be displayed in the main instrument display navigation page, this page and also the audio (!) screen of the instrument display turn a solid blue!
Does anybody else have a similar experience with European Civic 2017 models?
Last edited by Archangel Horus; 25th May 2017 at 17:58.