Air con noise - Civinfo
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 120 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2017, 06:54 Thread Starter
DJK

Car: 1.5 Turbo Sport 2017
Question Air con noise

Hi all

I've recently taken delivery of a 10th generation Honda Civic Sport 1.5 Turbo. My wife and I are generally pleased with it. However the air con makes an infuriating "whistle" when it is on. It can be heard at tick over, but seems to really get going at about 2000 rpm. It goes as soon as the air con is switched off.
I took it to my dealer. They accept that it is real. Whilst there, I sat in another similar model. This didn't seem much different although I didn't actually drive the car. They phoned Honda UK who said it was 'normal" and there was no fix. I tolerated it for a while and then wrote to Honda. In their reply, they said it should be regarded as characteristic rather than a fault!
I can't believe that this is acceptable. I can still hear the noise when I leave the car. It is driving me mad. It seems to be associated with the compressor and/or the drive belt from what I have been told.
Any suggestions please, what I can do apart from turning the air con off or playing music loudly?
Thanks in advance,
DJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2017, 08:49

I've not noticed any whistle. Do you know what frequency it is?
post #3 of 120 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2017, 13:50 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Sorry to be so vague, but it is towards the high end of audible range. It does seem to get louder when the engine is under load. It can be heard quite clearly over talking on the radio. Probably not as high in frequency as a kettle but getting that way. Honda have suggested that I should get a 2nd opinion, but since there seem to be so few 10th Generation models around the UK so far it is unlikely that an independent garage will have any experience. Honda dealers are hardly independent even though mine has always been good in the past.
Thanks for your reply anyway.

post #4 of 120 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2017, 15:21
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.5 S-Design GT Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
Sorry to be so vague, but it is towards the high end of audible range. It does seem to get louder when the engine is under load. It can be heard quite clearly over talking on the radio. Probably not as high in frequency as a kettle but getting that way. Honda have suggested that I should get a 2nd opinion, but since there seem to be so few 10th Generation models around the UK so far it is unlikely that an independent garage will have any experience. Honda dealers are hardly independent even though mine has always been good in the past.
Thanks for your reply anyway.
I noticed this too when driving the 1.5. Told the sales person (Not in car during test drive) who remarked it was probably just a turbo whine. Would be surprised if it was turbo brcause could detect whistle even at tickover. More than likely the AC was on, I did not check. It wasn't loud or intrusive and presume would go once the car was bedded in. I was the first to drive this particular car.
post #5 of 120 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2017, 19:17

I had a good long trip with the AC on today and didn't notice any high-pitched whine. There's a but of a rattle above my right ear, but nothing high pitched or consistent, other than normal road noise. I hope this helps.
post #6 of 120 (permalink) Old 4th June 2017, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by foddy View Post
I had a good long trip with the AC on today and didn't notice any high-pitched whine. There's a but of a rattle above my right ear, but nothing high pitched or consistent, other than normal road noise. I hope this helps.
I take that back - I think I know what you mean, I think it is the turbo - it sounds a bit like a high-pitched breathy exhale. A couple of seconds after taking the foot off the accelerator, it goes away, even at high revs.

I can't hear it with music on, though.
post #7 of 120 (permalink) Old 4th June 2017, 19:26 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Hi
Thanks for replying. I don't think you are hearing the same as us. The noise we get seems to be when the engine is under load. Easing off the throttle reduces the level. I have just done 200 miles on motorways and the tyre noise masks the problem. However, as soon as we start to pootle around in slow traffic it becomes very noticeable.
Rapidly loosing confidence in Honda.
DJK
post #8 of 120 (permalink) Old 4th June 2017, 20:29

Quote:
Hi
Thanks for replying. I don't think you are hearing the same as us. The noise we get seems to be when the engine is under load. Easing off the throttle reduces the level. I have just done 200 miles on motorways and the tyre noise masks the problem. However, as soon as we start to pootle around in slow traffic it becomes very noticeable.
Rapidly loosing confidence in Honda.
DJK
It sounds similar - when it's under load, but eases off after letting go a bit. It's not loud enough to annoy me, but I'm noticing it now!
post #9 of 120 (permalink) Old 6th June 2017, 18:31 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Hi
Thanks for that. I thought that I was cracking up. Hope that it doesn't annoy you so much.
post #10 of 120 (permalink) Old 10th June 2017, 11:29
Supporter

Now that I have my 1.5 I also notice the whistle from A/C.

It is quite gentle and not annoying me. I suspect will go as car beds in.
Also I rarely use aircon, prefer to open roof if not on fast road.
post #11 of 120 (permalink) Old 10th June 2017, 11:40
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
For the first month of ownership mine sounded like it had a nest of Starlings under the hood, all this chirping and whistling coming from the A/C and I have experienced similar noises with other cars I've owned on occasions too. Thankfully it has gone away now as it was quite annoying. I kind of think it's one of those things with new cars, they all take a while to settle and the parts to bed in and get some use on them.
eagerv likes this.
post #12 of 120 (permalink) Old 12th June 2017, 06:34 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Thanks for that. It gives me some hope although we have had ours for 2 months and have done 2000 miles. I intend to contact the dealer today and try to arrange for somebody to come out with me in the car and experience the full effect. (We only sat in tha car when it was stationary last time). Fingers crossed.
post #13 of 120 (permalink) Old 20th June 2017, 21:54
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
To those who only think Air Con is for the Summer, you're wrong... If you have climate control, use it all year round. Set it at a temperature say 21c and leave it on Auto all of the time.... If you leave it during the winter switched off the seals dry up and the gas escapes... I had mine set at 21c on my 8G for 4 years and never had a problem till the last few weeks where it worked intermittently. Never had it re-gassed in all that time....
Bog and mick90 like this.
post #14 of 120 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2017, 20:55
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Have you tried altering the angle of the vents?
It may just be a sound caused by one of the vents being near closed or angled towards something creating that sound. Experiment a bit. Plus just to sure it is the AC with it on increase speed of the fans and see if noise increases also. Then try adjusting to which area in car airflow is too to see that alters or cures it, floor, screen etc.
Bog likes this.
post #15 of 120 (permalink) Old 27th June 2017, 05:57 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Hi
I have fiddled with directions, fan speed, recycling etc and they don't seem to make a lot of difference other than the fan masks the noise. Switching off the A/C stops the noise immediately. The best description that I can think of is that it is similar to the noise when you run a damp finger around a glass.
I am awaiting a call from my dealer now subsequent to one of their technicians joining me for a short trip. They are awaiting information from Honda.
post #16 of 120 (permalink) Old 28th June 2017, 14:25
I Hate tailgaters!

Car: 2016 1.6 SR Lunar Silver
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Hi

I have fiddled with directions, fan speed, recycling etc and they don't seem to make a lot of difference other than the fan masks the noise. Switching off the A/C stops the noise immediately. The best description that I can think of is that it is similar to the noise when you run a damp finger around a glass.

I am awaiting a call from my dealer now subsequent to one of their technicians joining me for a short trip. They are awaiting information from Honda.

At least you tried. Hopefully the technician will help solve it. Best of luck. Just hope it's not a design fault/flaw that can't be corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 120 (permalink) Old 28th June 2017, 15:34
Supporter

My whistle has gone after a few weeks of occasional ac use, hopefully yours will soon as well.
post #18 of 120 (permalink) Old 29th June 2017, 07:19 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Thanks for that. Apparently Honda say that there are no reports of a problem. However they are to check out various possibilities including amount of gas and compressor/condenser operations,
post #19 of 120 (permalink) Old 29th July 2017, 07:33 Thread Starter
DJK
** Thread starter **

Latest report

Dealer supposedly has reported the the problem to Honda and inferred that other dealers have had similar complaints. I took our vehicle to an independent AC company. Their view is that the noise is a resonance from the "evaporator" i.e the thing where the liquid turns to gas and cools the air on its way to the cabin. They describe this as a design fault. My only hope is that sufficient people complain and that Honda realise they will start to lose sales when the word gets out. I find it surprising that none of the reviewers have noticed it.
I informed the dealer of the above and they are to contact Honda again. Don't hold your breathe.
post #20 of 120 (permalink) Old 29th July 2017, 07:59
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,428 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for that. Apparently Honda say that there are no reports of a problem. However they are to check out various possibilities including amount of gas and compressor/condenser operations,
Manufacturers seem to have a history of denying expensive to fix design problems (Vauxhall fires). These car jockeys who drive the swirly paint mules seem to frequently miss obvious issues.

Look at the 9G MY12 iMid issue. That was picked up on the first press day when outsiders had their first test drives.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Tags
10th generation , air con noise , civic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page