Brake Noise. - Civinfo
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 20th January 2018, 22:44 Thread Starter

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport Sonic Grey
Brake Noise.

As its been mentioned in the wheel section of this forum, im moving the topic to here, as Honda have confirmed its a known problem, and that it is normal for this car.

Its a huge irritation for me and the 10g civic, the car as a whole is great. Its just the brakes.

I've been having a too and fro with Honda via email over their brakes, and the noise, and how other new cars which have brakes under the new standards, do not have any squeal when braking.

As its a known issue and 'normal' according to Honda, ive been prying, to see if theyre working on a long term solution for this issue, and unfortunately, they're not.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Honda (UK).

I was sorry to learn of the brake noise you report experiencing with your Honda Civic.

I have spoken with (My dealers name), who confirmed the issue you describe. He was pleased to confirm that no manufacturing defect could be found with the brakes of your vehicle.

I can confirm that the explanation provided to you regarding the cause of the noise is correct. Manufacturers are no longer permitted, by law, to use asbestos as a material for brake pads. Due to the compound of the softer material, it is normal for Honda drivers to experience an amount of residual noise from the brake pads. Replacement of the brake pads will not eradicate the noise so Honda (UK) does not recommend premature brake pad replacement as a resolve for this issue. As Honda (UK) are now limited to certain materials to manufacture brake pads as a result of the legislation and such noise has no impact on the performance of the brakes, Honda (UK) are not currently investigating this issue further.
They went on to say;

Quote:
Honda dealerships can offer a brake clean, which can sometimes reduce the noise level permitted by the brakes. I have discussed this option with (my Dealer), who is more than happy to offer this to you, free of charge, in light of your dissatisfaction with the noise. Please expect contact from (My Dealer), who will arrange a time to book your vehicle in and complete the clean.
So I'm guessing aftermarket brake pads will be a big thing for the 10g's in the coming months/years, as this Squeal is highly embarrassing when coming to a stop.

Setting the radio to Volume 15-20 only just drowns out the noise for me currently. Its putting a huge damper on the experience in the car, all down to new materials in the brake pads.

However, in the meantime, as mentioned in the email from Honda, If anyone else is having brake squeal, insist on a brake clean from your dealer, id go as far as to say, try and get it done under warranty.

Last edited by Liamr685; 20th January 2018 at 22:47.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 6th February 2018, 10:26

Car: 2017 Civic SR 1.0 Rally Red
Hi Liam

I am having the exact same problem with my Civic 1.0SR the dealer asked if I could take a recording of the noise which I did with the windows down which was a really high pitch sound and was sent off to Honda uk which they rejected.

Now Honda UK are asking for another video with the windows up to see if the noise can be heard which you will know that you can certainly hear it with the windows up.

When the outside temperature is above 8 degrees the Squeal is a lot less have you noticed this ..?

I will let you know the outcome Liam as it might help get yours rectified.

Cheers
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamr685 View Post
As its been mentioned in the wheel section of this forum, im moving the topic to here, as Honda have confirmed its a known problem, and that it is normal for this car.

Its a huge irritation for me and the 10g civic, the car as a whole is great. Its just the brakes.

I've been having a too and fro with Honda via email over their brakes, and the noise, and how other new cars which have brakes under the new standards, do not have any squeal when braking.

As its a known issue and 'normal' according to Honda, ive been prying, to see if theyre working on a long term solution for this issue, and unfortunately, they're not.

They went on to say;

So I'm guessing aftermarket brake pads will be a big thing for the 10g's in the coming months/years, as this Squeal is highly embarrassing when coming to a stop.

Setting the radio to Volume 15-20 only just drowns out the noise for me currently. Its putting a huge damper on the experience in the car, all down to new materials in the brake pads.

However, in the meantime, as mentioned in the email from Honda, If anyone else is having brake squeal, insist on a brake clean from your dealer, id go as far as to say, try and get it done under warranty.

Last edited by Dave 21; 6th February 2018 at 10:33.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 8th February 2018, 08:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

As per the PM I just sent / An update to anyone reading this.

My Brake noise got worse, regardless of speed and temperature, upon reaching 15mph the sequel would start, and get louder the closer to 0 I got. I cant have the windows open as the noise was like metal on metal screeching, it was ear piercing.

Honda didnt ask for a recording, I just sent them a clip, from one drive, telling them this is more than just the 'normal/expected' noise from the new composition of brake pads.

They got back in touch with my dealer, and requested that they take my car in for a few days, which I dropped in on Tuesday (6/2/18) and I get to pick up today (8/2/18).

They tested my brakes and had to give Honda a technical report, and awaited a response from Honda on what to do (Honda wanted a Technician to drive my car with the windows up, to confirm the noise shown in my dashcam clip) . My dealer said from the start, they want to replace my Pads and Discs, but needed the go ahead from Honda.

Honda agreed on Pads and Discs, so hopefully when I collect it today, when they new bits are bedded in, I hope this resolves the issue.

But I do fear this will become and ongoing issue for 10g Civic owners for a while...It starts as a light brake squeal, then becomes this intolerable metal on metal screeching

Last edited by Liamr685; 8th February 2018 at 09:02.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 8th February 2018, 10:35

I used to work at the dealership very close to HUK, some brake noise is to be expected on the Type R's due to pad material but if yours isn't a Type R then I'd be pushing to more investigation. We were luck to be so close as they could send one of their techs down to speed the process up. Best of luck! Hopefully when you pick the car up it's noise free
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport - AP Racing - BUY ONLINE

- We ship worldwide to your door -

- Currently Breaking for parts - Ford Focus ST3 - Hawkeye Impreza -
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 8th February 2018, 11:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff. View Post
I used to work at the dealership very close to HUK, some brake noise is to be expected on the Type R's due to pad material but if yours isn't a Type R then I'd be pushing to more investigation. We were luck to be so close as they could send one of their techs down to speed the process up. Best of luck! Hopefully when you pick the car up it's noise free
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport - AP Racing - BUY ONLINE

- We ship worldwide to your door -

- Currently Breaking for parts - Ford Focus ST3 - Hawkeye Impreza -
No noise on the trip home, but that's expected as its a new set of discs and pads on the front.

Just hoping that these discs and pads are modified in some way, so when they bed in properly, the issue is solved.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 9th February 2018, 19:11
Supporter

Mine was in last week Honda UK did a technical report on the issue. Front Brake discs and pads changed. All ok for two days now guess what. The noise is back
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 9th February 2018, 19:46
Supporter

Car: 10G SLASH CTR, rallye red
Garage
Oh dear - I was expecting my Type R to squeal, but so far it is quiet.

How much miles have you done with the new brakes? Sometimes they need a bit of time to bed in.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 9th February 2018, 20:07

Car: 2017 Civic SR 1.0 Rally Red
Not what i want to hear as mine goes in tomorrow for the new disks and pads 😢😢😢😢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
Mine was in last week Honda UK did a technical report on the issue. Front Brake discs and pads changed. All ok for two days now guess what. The noise is back
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 09:47
Supporter

Brakes were bedded in by the accepted method of a number of quick stops. I have also contacted EBC as they offer Ultimax pads without any metal content. Once I have heard back from them I may well purchase a set and fit them myself
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 10:42
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Noel. What car do you have? Stick it into your profile so that everyone knows, or are you trying to keep it a secret?
Keeping an eye on this thread for if/when my 10G starts squealing.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 10:51
Supporter

I have 1.5 turbo sport but donít know how to add it to profile ??
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 10:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Noel. What car do you have? Stick it into your profile so that everyone knows, or are you trying to keep it a secret?
Keeping an eye on this thread for if/when my 10G starts squealing.
You'll end up having two visits to your dealer.

Visit one, they will offer you a break clean. (didnt work for me)

Visit two, theyll want the car for a couple of days for investigation and test drive, they'll report to Honda a couple of times (Honda can take upto 3 hours to reply to a service request from a dealer) and then, if Honda give the go ahead, they'll replace the front pads and disks under warranty.

Had new pads and disks for 3 days now, but only drove about 40 miles, so they're not bedded properly, but they're showing no signs of squeal yet, I did get 500ish miles out of the original set before the squeal started.

Ive got a feeling that Honda asking for technical reports on all cases, means they're propably going to start looking into a long term solution for this.

If not, aftermarket pads are going to be fitted to these like no tomorrow...
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 10:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
I have 1.5 turbo sport but don’t know how to add it to profile ??
Same way as you added your location. It's another field on that page.
Click on 'User CP' (top left) then click on 'Edit Your Details, then scroll down miles.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 11:03
Super Moderator

Quote:
You'll end up having two visits to your dealer........
Ive got a feeling that Honda asking for technical reports on all cases, means they're propably going to start looking into a long term solution for this.
Thanks. Done about 500 miles(ish) now and no sign of squeal yet.
Solution must be simple. Change the pad material. If it is the EU laws on brake pad material, why don't all new cars squeal? (Rhet) Could it be because they use a different material?
I wonder how warranty stands if you use non-OEM pads?

So it seems like brake squeal and A/C whistle is a 'feature' of the 10G Civic. Doh. What crap. Bad design/choice of material more like.
What's the point of Honda changing discs and pads only to put the same ones back on? Unless they are changing something else (pad material?) to get rid if that particular 'feature'.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 11:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Thanks. Done about 500 miles(ish) now and no sign of squeal yet.
Solution must be simple. Change the pad material. If it is the EU laws on brake pad material, why don't all new cars squeal? (Rhet) Could it be because they use a different material?
I wonder how warranty stands if you use non-OEM pads?

So it seems like brake squeal and A/C whistle is a 'feature' of the 10G Civic. Doh. What crap. Bad design/choice of material more like.
What's the point of Honda changing discs and pads only to put the same ones back on? Unless they are changing something else (pad material?) to get rid if that particular 'feature'.
My point to Honda exactly, that I stated in my email to their customer support line...Why aren't other cars, of other manufacturers, of the same age, not having this problem? (They didnt answer that)
And I did state, that it must be the composition of materials, that Honda or their supplier, are using, and the process in which they are made, as, Newer cars from other manufacturers dont have this issue...

The A/C whistle only gets me when my fan speed is on the two lowest settings.

I can only hazard a guess and say they may have a bad batch of disks and pads, and they're going to replace them on an attrition base, rather than do a recall.

But they did state, in the reply they sent me, that they are not looking into this issue, as the squeal doesnt affect the performance of the brakes.

Last edited by Liamr685; 10th February 2018 at 11:13.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 11:14
Super Moderator

Quote:
The A/C whistle only gets me when my fan speed is on the two lowest settings.
Any higher setting the air noise drown it out.
Quote:
I can only hazard a guess and say they may have a bad batch of disks and pads, and they're going to replace them on an attrition base, rather than do a recall.
Then why go through the palaver of two visits? Customer complains about squeal. Change pads and disks under guarantee. Simples. What's the point of a 'brake clean' when they know it doesn't fix it? (Rhet)

Quote:
But they did state, in the reply they sent me, that they are not looking into this issue, as the squeal doesnt affect the performance of the brakes.
It might not but it will sure seriously pee me off big time if mine start.

Last edited by M8TJT; 10th February 2018 at 11:17.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 11:50
Supporter

I have an email from Honda Uk yesterday saying that they are looking into it and will advise dealers when they have a solution
Thanks to Noel from:
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 12:03
Supporter

Section from email.
This is currently under investigation with the Honda (UK) Technical Team. The first stage is to identify if the vehicle meets certain criteria to allow for replacement of brake pads and discs. Your vehicle has met the criteria and therefore the pads and discs have been replaced.

The remedial parts used are like for like and therefore may not resolve the issue. As this is still under investigation we have no further solution to offer at this time, I do apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

I am pleased to confirm that as soon as further remedial works become available, our authorised Honda dealer network will be notified straight away.
Thanks to Noel from:
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 12:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Weird, as thats the polar opposite to what Honda emailed me. But its good that they are looking into it.

Quote:
As Honda (UK) are now limited to certain materials to manufacture brake pads as a result of the legislation and such noise has no impact on the performance of the brakes, Honda (UK) are not currently investigating this issue further.

Last edited by Liamr685; 10th February 2018 at 12:38.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 10th February 2018, 13:19
Super Moderator

Sound like a left hand/right hand problem.
Jeez, ether they are or they aren't. I wonder what constitutes a car 'meeting the criteria'?

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in