A/C efficiency - Civinfo
 41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 12:37 Thread Starter
 
rogp1's Avatar
 
Car: My 2017 Sonic Grey 1.5 Sport
Join Date: 7th December 2010
Location: Wolverhampton UK ENGLAND
Posts: 566
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
A/C efficiency

Anyone else having problems with their 10gen A/C? mine was actually blowing warm air for ages with the A/C on max fan speed and temp set on low, I had to open the windows instead, the car is only 14 months old, I have just booked the car in for a A/C re-gas for £35 hoping that will solve the problem.
rogp1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 13:03
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
IMO You shouldn't have to pay if it's broken so early
Kremmen is offline  
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 13:59
Supporter
 
veehexx's Avatar
 
Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Join Date: 28th October 2015
Location: midlands, uk GB
Posts: 2,278
Thanks: 48
Thanked 223 Times in 200 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Garage
sounds like a slow leak. bad seal or crimp on a flex hose.
DONT PAY, warranty it!!
veehexx is offline  
 
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 15:44
Supporter
 
Join Date: 20th October 2010
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 88
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader: (2)
I agree with the above 2 comments.
Your dealer will most likely claim that air con problems are not covered after the first year from new, but a 14 month old car should not be having any problems at all with the air con regardless of how it has been used.
I believe most manufacturers recommend an air con service at 2 years which is chargeable.
Stick to your guns and insist it is looked at and fixed under the manufacturers warranty.

Last edited by Ron240; 18th May 2018 at 15:47.
Ron240 is offline  
Thanks to Ron240 from:
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 22:55
Supporter
 
Haltamer's Avatar
 
Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Join Date: 13th March 2017
Location: Essex, UK GB
Posts: 2,067
Thanks: 48
Thanked 300 Times in 270 Posts
iTrader: (3)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron240 View Post
I agree with the above 2 comments.
Your dealer will most likely claim that air con problems are not covered after the first year from new, but a 14 month old car should not be having any problems at all with the air con regardless of how it has been used.
I believe most manufacturers recommend an air con service at 2 years which is chargeable.
Stick to your guns and insist it is looked at and fixed under the manufacturers warranty.

New Car Warranty Cover | Support & Information | Honda UK


Whilst that doesn't say too much, it does state that all parts are covered for 3 years:- I don't think they would have much chance dodging a warranty claim unless they could prove it is caused by damage, such as a stone to the air conditioning radiator.


Certainly no good on something 14 months old:- I'd be careful taking it for a regas unless it is a dealership, otherwise they could use that as a get out for the warranty claim. (If you tell them about it)
Kremmen likes this.
Haltamer is offline  
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 18th May 2018, 23:33
Supporter
 
Join Date: 20th October 2010
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 88
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader: (2)
The potential grey area comes in because air con systems naturally lose refrigerant over time, and will do it quicker if the system has not been used.
But 14 months from new is too soon for this to happen....even if all that's required is a simple regas.
Like you say if there is no obvious damage to the system then it should be covered under warranty.
Ron240 is offline  
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 11:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
rogp1's Avatar
 
Car: My 2017 Sonic Grey 1.5 Sport
Join Date: 7th December 2010
Location: Wolverhampton UK ENGLAND
Posts: 566
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
The garage over the road from me have an A board out advertising A/C service and re-gas £35, I had already booked my car in for Mon 21st (tomorrow) just before doing this posting, I'm pretty sure a re-gas will sort it.


Some of you have mentioned about taking it to the dealer, however if something major was wrong with the A/C like the compressor for eg I would of def taken it to the dealer, however the dealer I brought it off (Birmingham Honda) is just over 15 miles away and the traffic is a nightmare around that area so for the sake of time, effort and about a gallon of petrol the easy option is a re-gas over the road from me for £35, I don't think a re-gas is covered by the warranty anyway only major A/C component failures, I will however at next service mention about it to them that I wasn't happy with the A/C as I have the 5 yrs service plan that came with my ex demo.
rogp1 is offline  
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 13:25
Supporter
 
Join Date: 20th October 2010
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 88
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogp1 View Post
I don't think a re-gas is covered by the warranty.
it's not, but it shouldn't be requiring a regas after only 14 months from new so should in this case be covered.
The question is what has caused it.
The garage over the road should check for leaks and do a pressure test before refilling the system.
Hopefully you will be sorted.
Ron240 is offline  
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 20th May 2018, 18:34
Supporter
 
Car: 2018 1.5 Prestige Auto
Join Date: 13th May 2008
Location: UK ENGLAND
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
The 10g Civic (like all recent cars) uses a new refrigerant called R1234yf, instead of the older R134a. It is not interchangeable and it costs a lot more. Make sure your garage is going to use the right stuff or you may have a very expensive non-warranty repair.
Kremmen and Ron240 like this.
pjg50 is offline  
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2018, 00:48
Supporter
 
Join Date: 20th October 2010
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 88
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Interesting about the new refrigerant...I never knew this.
I done a search and found the following which means that anybody working on the system should know it is designed for the newer refrigerant, but because adapters are available it is not fool proof. However they would be incompetent to get it wrong.


Another difference involves the new service ports and caps. The service ports are designed to make it impossible to connect service equipment that’s made for systems using other refrigerants. Of course, adapters are available and some shops may actually find a legitimate reason to use them, but we’ll discuss that later.
Ron240 is offline  
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2018, 02:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
rogp1's Avatar
 
Car: My 2017 Sonic Grey 1.5 Sport
Join Date: 7th December 2010
Location: Wolverhampton UK ENGLAND
Posts: 566
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Hi, took car for A/C re-gas however the garage over the road couldn't do it because the car is too new for their equipment to fit, the bloke said to take it to the dealer who should do it for free, he also found out the problem there is no gas in it!


Either there is leak which sounds strange on such a new engine or Honda overlooked to fill it with gas at manufacture in the first place.


Anyway looks like a trip to the dealer after all
rogp1 is offline  
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2018, 06:04
 
Join Date: 21st May 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Keep us posted!
Halisko is offline  
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2018, 08:25
Supporter
 
Join Date: 20th October 2010
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 88
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogp1 View Post
took car for A/C re-gas however the garage over the road couldn't do it because the car is too new for their equipment to fit, the bloke said to take it to the dealer who should do it for free, he also found out the problem there is no gas in it!
I wonder what he done to find out there is no gas in it, because I would have thought you needed to connect the hoses for that.

Please let us know what happens at your dealer.
Ron240 is offline  
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2018, 14:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
rogp1's Avatar
 
Car: My 2017 Sonic Grey 1.5 Sport
Join Date: 7th December 2010
Location: Wolverhampton UK ENGLAND
Posts: 566
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron240 View Post
I wonder what he done to find out there is no gas in it, because I would have thought you needed to connect the hoses for that.

Please let us know what happens at your dealer.

He said he opened it/ pressed it in with a screwdriver and got no hissing sound of escaping gas coming out
Ron240 likes this.
rogp1 is offline  
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 8th June 2018, 00:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
rogp1's Avatar
 
Car: My 2017 Sonic Grey 1.5 Sport
Join Date: 7th December 2010
Location: Wolverhampton UK ENGLAND
Posts: 566
Thanks: 11
Thanked 52 Times in 49 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Update,


Been to dealer yesterday, no gas in system, they re-gassed it and put some dye in, no obvious initial leaks said to keep using A/C and pop back in a couple of weeks so they can check it again, no charge for re-gassing.


Bloke did say you should use your A/C regularly even in the winter, something to do with lubricating the seals


Car like a fridge inside now
RA108 likes this.
rogp1 is offline  
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 8th June 2018, 03:31
Supporter
 
Join Date: 20th October 2010
Posts: 1,670
Thanks: 88
Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogp1 View Post
Bloke did say you should use your A/C regularly even in the winter, something to do with lubricating the seals
This is very true.
Running the compressor for about 15 mins once a week should be enough.....or you can just leave it in Auto.
I go with the former during the winter months.
RA108 likes this.
Ron240 is offline  
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 8th June 2018, 07:37
Super Moderator
 
M8TJT's Avatar
 
Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Join Date: 10th October 2015
Location: Bexhill, Sussex GB
Posts: 3,075
Thanks: 89
Thanked 231 Times in 223 Posts
iTrader: (1)
I have mine on auto all the time. Having the AC on clears the misting much quicker as the AC dries the air as it cools it. I can't understand why peeps turn it off.
RA108 likes this.
M8TJT is offline  
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 8th June 2018, 08:07
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Me neither, especially as it can lead to premature failure.
RA108 likes this.
Kremmen is offline  
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 8th June 2018, 10:27
 
ikbenben's Avatar
 
Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Join Date: 11th April 2012
Location: Belgium BE
Posts: 488
Thanks: 19
Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
I have mine on auto all the time. Having the AC on clears the misting much quicker as the AC dries the air as it cools it. I can't understand why peeps turn it off.
It's more economical when off, you can feel some minor power loss when on, I like to ride with the windows open,....
I only use it in the winter to clear the windows and in the summer when I'm driving on the highway. Never had any issues breaking down for not using it all the time.
eagerv likes this.
ikbenben is offline  
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 10th June 2018, 11:24
Supporter
 
Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Join Date: 14th May 2010
Location: Yorkshire ENGLAND
Posts: 3,216
Thanks: 485
Thanked 306 Times in 271 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Supposedly. I've never noticed any difference in mpg or performance in my 1.8.

However, not using the air con dries the seals out and then they crack and it can lead to an expensive compressor repair / replacement. Used in winter as others have said, the air con, even when heating rather than cooling still extracts the moisture from the air and thus helps massively with keeping the windows from misting / demisting them, during the winter months. I virtually never turn my aircon off, and have just have had it re-gassed for the 1st time since it left the factory - 10 years old with no leaks. That alone speaks wonders for running the aircon 24/7/365.
RA108 is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MPG Optimum Speed for Fuel Efficiency PaddyG Engines and Transmission (8G) 5 28th August 2017 08:15
Tyre Choice Goodyear Efficiency Grip Performance WeHaveLiftOff Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 24 14th October 2013 01:07
Fuel efficiency backlight Bob H Engines and Transmission (9G) 5 21st May 2012 19:59
Brakes Braking efficiency griffian Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 11 20th September 2011 21:39
Decreasing efficiency? ruracer General Discussion (8G) 9 1st August 2007 07:15

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome