10G Niggles. Letter to Honda - Civinfo
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 15th August 2018, 19:37 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
10G Niggles. Letter to Honda

On my dealer's Warranty Manager's suggestion, I have recently written to Honda about the three niggles that I have with my Prestige that should really have been sorted long ago. He also said that the more people who complain directly to Honda, the more likely they are to sit up and take notice. (Yeah, right)

1. Air con whistle. (A characteristic of the car? No. Just poor A/C design. I'm 95% sure the source of the whistle is the evaporator just to the right of the passenger's foot-well.)

2. Front proximity beepers randomly sounding when it's wet outside. (How hard can it be? And it would appear that the redesigned grille doesn't work in some/most cases)

3. SatNav car position wandering of track. (My Garmin stand alone does not do it. My dealer implied that he was awaiting a software update. Where is it as he told me that in January?)

Of course, in addition to this there is the old chestnut of the brake squeal, although I haven't had this yet on my car. From my forum readings, a different of brake pad fixes that one.

The car has been on sale for over 18 months now so you would have thought that they would have fixed these niggles that detract from an otherwise great car by now.

If you would like a copy of my letter as a crib sheet, I will PM it to you on request.

Remember, the more people who complain direct the better.
Kremmen and stoo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 15th August 2018, 20:43
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
Good luck with your letter M 8.

The aircon whistle that I had on my 3G CRV, was found it be a dry motor bearing.. wandering if they share the same part as the 10G civic.. had to repeatedly complain about this to the dealer to get them to actually state it was an issue.
Had characteristic of the a/c to leaves in the inlet as an excuse.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 15th August 2018, 22:04

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Another niggle is the windscreen wipers and the rainsensor. Sometimes they go of like hell when it's hardly raining and sometimes they hardly do anything when I can't almost see.
G4il1, sammyd118 and TomPoyntz like this.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 15th August 2018, 22:54 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Yes, agreed, but that's easily overcome with the stalk. The others are not.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 15th August 2018, 23:23

Garage
Ok, but they're supposed to work better. The ones one my mk8 worked perfect for 95% of the time.
nturnb and M8TJT like this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 05:52
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
It's mostly down to cars designed by accountants to please the shareholders, sod the owners once they've paid.

Honda will by now know exactly what is causing the aircon whistle but it will likely be extremely expensive to fix current cars as it may be a dash out job, and as it's not a safety issue you are unlikely to get it fixed.

The front sensors setting off false alarms isn't unique to Honda, look at any car forum and there are lengthy threads on each. My impression is that water running over the sensors can set them off. They need to be positioned away from where water runs down and over them when you brake. Maybe some small thin 'eyebrow' might work.

The GPS inaccuracy I have no idea. I think the GPS sensor is in the same place as previous so some other piece of electric, and the 10G has many more, is cutting in periodically and throwing it off course.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 09:27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
The front sensors setting off false alarms isn't unique to Honda, look at any car forum and there are lengthy threads on each. My impression is that water running over the sensors can set them off. They need to be positioned away from where water runs down and over them when you brake. Maybe some small thin 'eyebrow' might work.
I think it has more to do with the bulky front licence plate holder in combination with rain sitting on it.
There is also rain running over the rear sensor and there isn't any problem.

I wanted to take of the licence plate holder but it seems like I need to take of the complete front bumper to remove it. Too much hassle imo so I didn't do it afterall.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 11:19

Car: 2018 Civic Sport Plus CVT
I must agree with M8TJT it is taking Honda too long to correct widely reported issues.

The irritations which were on my 2017 model year Prestige are still apparent on my 2018MY Sport+. Model year is indicated by 10th character of VIN (2018 is J). Need to see what happens for 2019 MY cars when they start getting supplied (pretty soon I guess).
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 14:25 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikbenben View Post
I wanted to take of the licence plate holder but it seems like I need to take of the complete front bumper to remove it. Too much hassle imo so I didn't do it afterall.
I was thinking of doing exactly that, and fit the number plate directly to the car. But found the same as you. Front bumper off. Pain in the butt. Like you, gave up on that idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJJ View Post
I must agree with M8TJT it is taking Honda too long to correct widely reported issues.
But have they been reported direct to Honda rather than through a dealer? They might just take a bit more notice if the complaints come directly from the customer.
peniole likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2018, 19:09 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Had a reply to my letter from Honda to the effect that they know about the problems and 'are investigating' them.

However, as a 'loyal customer', I got a pleasant surprise.

My Honda 'man' was at a training session at Honda the other day, and apparently the main topic of conversation amongst the dealers during breaks and lunch was the front proximity sensors.
ikbenben likes this.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2018, 20:00
Supporter

My 10G prestige still cries everytime its used. Rain or shine the headlight washers activate at some stage every use of the car. Result is I have to fill the washer bottle up every few weeks. Cannot find anything that turns them off. Does anyone else with a prestige see this. You do not hear or see anything but when you get out the car you can see all the bumpers is wet on both sides.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2018, 20:54
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
That's a good one
Are you using the automatic headlights? I'm not sure what activation system is in use on the 10G, But I know some are triggered by headlight on/off cycles; I.E after 5 headlight on-s it will wash.

If you're driving through shaded patches, or tunnels with auto headlights, they may be toggling and triggering the washers:- It could be worth using the lights in manual mode for a week or so and see if you're still getting washed.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2018, 23:35 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Never noticed that on mine. I have my headlights on auto all the time. I'll have to keep an eye out for the wet bumper syndrome now.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 24th August 2018, 17:33
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
It's mostly down to cars designed by accountants to please the shareholders, sod the owners once they've paid.

Honda will by now know exactly what is causing the aircon whistle but it will likely be extremely expensive to fix current cars as it may be a dash out job, and as it's not a safety issue you are unlikely to get it fixed.

We have 2 x 10G Civic's (Type R / 1.5 Sport Plus) and neither have any aircon whistle and with my OCD I am sure I would have noticed
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 24th August 2018, 18:47 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

OOH yes, you would have noticed. Most noticeable at about 2 - 2,500 RPM (A/C on Auto)
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 25th August 2018, 09:45
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
A/C whistle on the 10G... nope, nor heard it... on the CRV, yeap - had it.. it got worse over a 12mth period... BUT, my Honda dealer sorted it out with a replacement fan motor unit
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 25th August 2018, 15:48 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

I think it's the liquid expanding in the evaporator that's doing it. That's where the noise seems to be coming from. The right hand upper side of the passenger's foot-well where I think the evaporator lives.
I had the gas changed to a different type by Honda, but it made no difference.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2018, 12:52

Hi M8TJT!

I very much would like a copy of your mail to Honda and the adress where to send. We have an issue with the S&S system, see my recent post in the related thread, and I would like to adress this directly to Honda.

Thanks
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2018, 13:52 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

I addressed mine to:
Honda (UK)
Customer Relations
Cain Road
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1HL

Unfortunately I can neither PM you or you PM me as you have fewer than 20 posts and two weeks membership.

The gist of my letter was:

{Your address}
Complaint about faults with Honda Civic Reg. {Reg number}
Dear Sir.
I took delivery of the above car on {purchase date} and have subsequently been in contact with {contact name} of {dealers name and address}with respect to three faults that I have on the car.

Fault 1. Front proximity detectors. These sound continuously, with red bars, even when there is nothing in front of the car. This is an intermittent fault mainly associated with wet weather. I learn from {contact name} and other sources that in an attempt to cure this fault, several cars have had their front grilles changed with limited success. The side front detectors are fine, as are the rear.
This state of affairs must be rectified soon as you have had over 18 months since the car was put to market to rectify the fault. I know that there have been several complaints to Honda UK about this problem since then. But as you seem singularly unable to do this, I can only assume that you are not treating this shortcoming with the attention it deserves for your loyal customers.

Fault 2. Climate Control Air Conditioner. There is quite a loud whistle from the passenger’s foot-well area when the Air Conditioning (A/C) is switched on. It is more noticeable when the engine is above about 2,000RPM. I have sent you a recording of the sound, via {contact name}, but have yet to have a response from you. I have heard elsewhere that you have said that this whistle is a ‘characteristic of the car’. No it is not. It is a characteristic of a badly designed A/C system and I suspect that it is associated with the A/C evaporator. I have had 5 other Honda cars, 1x Civic, 2x Jazz and 2x Accord and know people with 8G and 9G civics and none of them had/have this intrusive whistle from the A/C.
You obviously admit there is a problem because you tried to cure it on my car with a change of refrigerant. Unfortunately, it didn’t fix it. A change of the evaporator to a different type seems to me to be the answer.

Fault 3. Satellite Navigation System. The car position marker frequently does not follow the road on the Sat Nav. It can be up to about 300 yards wrong and not even on the road along which you are travelling. Either on a nearby road or in the middle of a field. When I first mentioned this to {contact name}, he told me that a software update for the satnav to fix this problem was imminent. Well, isn’t it about time you issued one? Eight months is a long time for a software fix on a known problem.
I currently have a stand-alone Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMT-D, which once it has satellite lock, usually pretty instantly, never ‘loses lock’ in my car. Neither did the Alpine based units in my two Accords both of which performed flawlessly with regard to sat and road lock.

Please address these faults with the attention they deserve as they badly detract from the perception of an otherwise fine car.
Please advise soonest.

Yours faithfully
xxxxx

The reply from Honda was basically "We are looking into the problems and there is no Satnav update scheduled apart from the normal map update."

Good luck.

P.S. What is the S&S system?
No matter, I have read your other post. (Auto stop/start)
Mine also has this problem so I will give your switch it off and back on again trick a try out next time.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 16th November 2018, 14:20 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

I have today received a phone call from my Honda dealer who advised me that Honda have released a bulletin re the front beepers.
They claim that there is some sort of interaction between the sensors and the mounting (grille) material. They have made a new grille out of a different material.
Mine is on order as of this morning.

Let's hope this (second) new grille fixes the problem.
paddy, spotlight and Stu_s like this.
Thanks to M8TJT from:

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page