Rattle from sunroof - Civinfo
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 4th October 2018, 17:19 Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Prestige CVT Blue
Thumbs up Rattle from sunroof

Hi, I am new on here having recently purchased a Civic 1.5 CVT Prestige. I have now had it about 2 months and so far done about 2000 miles. In general I am very pleased with it apart from one rattle from what sounds like around the sunroof. It is like a loose rattle, maybe a bracket or loose wire that is either hitting the roof or the headlining. As soon as I tilt or open the sunroof it seems to stop.

I hate cars that rattle so I am hoping this is not the start of one of many but does anyone recognise my description and what it may be?

Apart from this the cabin is rattle free.

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 4th October 2018, 21:59
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
I have a Sport Plus and from brand new there were annoying sounds coming from the sunroof. I fixed the worst of it by applying silicone lubricant around all the seals and the edges of the glass, but there are still noises. I'm convinced the remaining rattles are from the mesh screen because if you push up on beam at the front where the handle is, it's definitely not tightly fitted and I can replicate the sort of loose metal tapping sound. It's very much ambient temperature and road surface sensitive and some days it rattles a lot, others not at all. Sometimes having the slide half open stops it, other times not. My car also has noisy head lining! Right above my head if you push up on the headlining you get this clicking sound, and when I'm driving along it kind of does that all the time. I have a small cacophony of buzzzzs and zizzzs coming from various places, again, very much dependent on how hot the weather is and the road surface. I absolutely hate rattles too. On a good day it's such a quiet and smooth car which makes the bad days even more annoying. I had a 1.0 SR before and it was the same, obviously minus the sunroof, but on cold days the cabin was rattle and buzz free. As the weather warmed up the noises would start from the fascia.
stoo likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 5th October 2018, 14:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2018 Prestige CVT Blue
Thanks Bonsai, I have had issues with creaking around the sunroof which I also resolved by applying silicon lubricant but this rattle just seems totally random as to when it occurs and it just spoils the cars feeling of solidity. The car is only 2 months old so I think I might just take it back into the dealer and see if they can fix it.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 5th October 2018, 18:13
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5 Sport Plus CVT Red
That's absolutely it, it spoils the car's feeling of quality and solidity and makes you feel like you're driving something cheap and nasty. I had to drive one of my company's pool cars last week, a 5 year old, 90K mile, diesel Ford Focus. Not a single rattle, squeak, creak, buzz or zizzz from anywhere. Then I got back into my brand new Civic that's cost almost 30K and it was having one of it's rattly old crate days. Disappointing isn't the word. The thing is, I know they're all really minor issues, just tiny little places where two bits of plastic meet and the resonances through the car from the road make them vibrate together or whatever, but it drives me insane particularly when I've owned many much cheaper cars from lesser brands that didn't have any such issues. Other threads suggest that a lot of people are having or have had rattle issues so I think there are build quality concerns here. On the whole I love my Civic when it's having a good, quiet day, it's awesome!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10th January 2019, 18:49

Car: 2018 Civic Sport Plus CVT
Just had mine back from the Dealership and the second time they have tried to cure the sunroof rattle. Previously they adjusted and lubricated the sunroof but the rattle came back within a few minutes driving. This time they removed the glass panel completely and worked around the frame tightening all the fasteners which secure the frame into the body. This seems to have cured the problem for now so really pleased. Does suggest that at the factory they never tightened it down properly.
Kremmen likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 11:02

Question

I'm suffering with this in my Prestige. Usually at lower speeds, and on rougher road surfaces and bumps.

I wonder how common this issue is? It does indeed make the feel of driving it cheap and not built to last - not something you would normally associate with Honda.

This is my 3rd, and newest Civic yet and have never had such a 'rattle' before.

I'm going to see if I can get my local dealer to resolve it but dread the hassle and time of them having to try various things that may or may not work - especially if it's not recognised by Honda as an issue yet (like the Aircon whistle issue).

If enough of us report it via Honda dealers, hopefully it will ensure it can be dealt with as efficiently as possible.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 23:11

There is a known repair but the issue is with the supplier, and no, it didn't leave the factory not screwed down properly, your dealer did something else like silicon or lube. Not sure if it has been resolved completely but I will double check tomorrow what current situation is.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th March 2019, 14:17
Supporter

Car: 2019 1L EX+Tech Pack P/Metal
Garage
I know this thread is a bit old now but I took delivery of a Civic EX & there's an annoying rattle that *sounds* like it's from the sunroof on the passenger side. Is this what you've experienced?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th March 2019, 08:18

Rusky, yes that is correct. The "rattle" in mine returned after about 3 weeks after visiting dealership. I now notice it occurs at relatively low speed around town, more so than at higher speeds. Makes me think there may be an aerodynamic effect at higher speed lifting the panel within the frame guides reducing the downward load. Surely someone in Honda must know.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th March 2019, 13:09

Are you going to get the dealership to look at it again? I wonder what they did previously to alleviate the issue for the 3 weeks.

Mine's going in to Honda in a couple of weeks to have this looked at, as well as other 'noises'. I was hoping that it would be a 'once and for all' fix. I really cannot face taking it in multiple times to have the same issue looked at- It's damned inconvenient if nothing else, and the noise ruins the driving experience.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th March 2019, 15:01

The dealer said they lubricated the seals and after taking the glass panel off tightened all the securing bolts of the frame.

The car is back in with them on 18th April for a new grille, as solution for parking sensor issue, and they have said they will look at the sunroof rattle again (3rd attempt).
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 27th March 2019, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJJ View Post
The dealer said they lubricated the seals and after taking the glass panel off tightened all the securing bolts of the frame.

The car is back in with them on 18th April for a new grille, as solution for parking sensor issue, and they have said they will look at the sunroof rattle again (3rd attempt).
Thanks MikeJJ - Did they mention what they attempted on the previous two occasions to attempt to resolve the roof rattle?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 25th April 2019, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks70 View Post
There is a known repair but the issue is with the supplier, and no, it didn't leave the factory not screwed down properly, your dealer did something else like silicon or lube. Not sure if it has been resolved completely but I will double check tomorrow what current situation is.
So the manufacturer of the Sunroof assembly (not Honda themselves) have a known repair?
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 16:35
Supporter

Garage
I stopped in at Screwfix on my way home last night & got a can of silicone spray, it's lovely & quiet now!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 21:52

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
I stopped in at Screwfix on my way home last night & got a can of silicone spray, it's lovely & quiet now!
Exactly where did you spray the silicon spray for it to stop the noise?
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 26th April 2019, 21:59
Supporter

Garage
I tilted the glass & sprayed the rubber that's under the glass a couple of inches in from the edge & the rubber that's on the rear of the glass.

When I was doing it, I noticed that there was a mark on the corner of the inner rubber. I don't know if it's coincidence or that's where it's rubbing.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 27th April 2019, 17:49

Car: 1.5 Sport+ Polished Metal
No rattles as yet, used only a couple of times in each position, but I've a question re sunroof that have been unable to find an answer in the manual.
Can the sunroof be operated, opened, closed whilst the vehicle is travelling? Is there a limit of speed when can be operated.
I closed mine whilst travelling approx 35-40 mph and must admit sounded like was gonna be ripped off the car.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2019, 12:54

Mines back with the dealer again (2nd time). They've got it in for provisionally 3 days this time should they need to order any parts. I will update with the results.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 7th May 2019, 18:25

Okay, I have it back.

And the main roof rattle, for now, is no more. New seals installed around sunroof apparently.

Fingers crossed this resolves it once and for all.

I now just have to pursue the multitude of various trim and roof liner buzzes and noises... Not sure what I'll do with those yet, whether to go 'rogue' and attempt to resolve them myself.

I suspect at least 2 of the noises could be resolved by pulling the roof liner down and having a look and either moving what I suspect is cable runs, or packing with furniture foam to prevent.

One noise is coming from the front of the roof liner, possibly from within the sun roof switch panel. The other is directly above my head.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 8th May 2019, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoo View Post
One noise is coming from the front of the roof liner, possibly from within the sun roof switch panel. The other is directly above my head.
I have a sound coming from within the sun roof panel (where the controls are for the sunroof). Let me know if you find a solution. Mine only occurs under hard acceleration and some road surfaces, but I find it annoying enough.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page