fuel consumption - 15-20L/100km ***? - Civinfo
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 15:30 Thread Starter

Car: 2018 Civic hatch 1.0L CVT
Garage
Question fuel consumption - 15-20L/100km ***?

Hi all,

our new Civic (1.0L Turbo with CVT) is very thirsty it seems.

Its still brand new (only 22km), we had it since Thursday and hasnt been driven outside the city yet...
So I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but for example when simply driving around the parking lot, the real time consumption bar shows levels between 15L-20L (max) / 100km.

Is this normal for the first few km of a new car or is there something fishy going on?

The few km we've ridden in the city, levels were not like that, but still high.
After refilling from the dealers (tank was empty) we had a distance left of 588km, that implies a consumption level of 7.8L/100km.
The brochure shows a least economical consumption level of 8L/100km according to the new WTLP method:

So, it could be all this is 'normal' in the beginning, but I'd like to be sure and was hoping about some information from other owners

Thx a lot!
Thanks to Riko from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 18:04
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
if you have only done 22km (13.5 miles)
you are obviously doing very short journeys
impossible to get accurate calculation
you need to try give the car better runs
doing short stop/start journeys is not very good for a brand new engine
ineedabeer, nturnb and Riko like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 18:54

Car: Civic 8 Type S 1.4 (FN4)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Your distance driven is insignificant and misleading.
Look at your consumption after a couple thousand miles.
If it is that high, worry then.
Riko likes this.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 19:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
thx all, maybe I was to fast to wonder why my consumption is high.

But what I was really wondering is if the CURRENT fuel consumption indicator, the long bar, is normally functioning?
From a stand still to 9km/h it went to the max: 20L/100km

I made this video (dont worry, enclosed parking lot)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 21:09

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Yes. It looks perfectly normal. That's what you get in any car under acceleration. Particularly when its engine is still cold.
Instant MPG strikes me as only really useful information when we want to compare different routines on the same drive. I'm guessing that is (still) not your case.
Riko likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2019, 22:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
okidoki! thx for the info/reassurance
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 07:48
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5T Sport
I don't mean to pour water on your fire so please don't take it that way but from what I have seen and heard from forums and the motoring press it would seem the 1.0 litre engine is actually similar or worse than the 1.5T engines enconomy. The 1.0 has to be worked hard in the real world despite the results of WTLP testing, driving in any urban area is poor for economy as is evident to yourself. Like Alcides said see what its like after a couple of thousand km.

For comparison my 1.5T Sport manual gearbox, now has 4700 miles and in that time has achieved an average of 46.5 mpg (uk gallons) over that distance, I don't drive in town very oftens and my daily commute is a 12 mile return journey on country roads. The highest I have seen is 52mpg that was on the motorway at a steady 65mph and even when I cruise at 80mph I still get around 49mpg.
Riko likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 08:20
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
If you're driving round town then you will be spending a good % stationary. Or in low gears, CVT or not.

Whilst stationary your mpg is zero. That massively affects the average.
Riko likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 08:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
I know, I've seen the WLTP figueres too, I'll even share them with you

Indeed, we're talking about the recent and supposedly more acurate WLTP method, not the NEDC2.0 figures in wich the 1.0L kills the 1.5L.

So its true, the smaller engine has similar or worse consumption.

I know the comparison, I know the difference, but the price difference was too high, for my dad, so we bought the 1.0L instead.
If it was up to me alone to decide, I'd take the 1.5L in a heartbeat.
The dual exhaust, bodykit and keyless system alone are worth it besides the pepier engine.

So yeah if fuel economy is wha you are looking for, you dont have to take the 1.0L over the 1.5L

But that wasn't my question
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 09:10
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
But that wasn't my question [/QUOTE]And that has already been answered.
Riko likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 09:18

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
The real time consumption bar is just an indication. Don't pin yourself on the fact that these are exact numbers. If you go flatout it's even possible to go beyond that bar and +20L/km. It's more of an indication for eco driving.

Btw, I'm also from around Gent so it's possible we could pass each other one day. What colour is yours?
Riko likes this.

Last edited by ikbenben; 27th January 2019 at 09:20.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 09:33
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
If you're driving around a parking lot then you're going to be in 1st and 2nd at high revs. Expect low mpg in the teens. You need to get on more of a run at 35-40mph and then start to see what it settles down to. Also, at only 12 miles, the engine will still be very tight.

Manufacturers figures are always optimistic. Also, your local topography will make a lot of difference. An area with inclined roads will return worse consumption than an area with mostly flat roads. Same with traffic lights and other obstacles that make you slow, stop, accelerate.

Give it time to loosen up a bit. Do some real world driving and then see how it settles down.

However, equally as others have said, the smallest engine isn't always the most economical as as big engines tend to be lazy and more able to deliver the torque and power to keep a car moving with small throttle openings. It's all a bit controversial and will depend on where you live and the type of driving you do but generally smaller engines are better in towns and cities on flat roads in stop / start traffic. Bigger engines are better on higher speed roads and hilly areas.
Riko likes this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 10:11
Administrator

Just what I said
RA108 and Riko like this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 10:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
But that wasn't my question
Quote:
And that has already been answered.
indeed, of wich I am very grateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikbenben View Post
The real time consumption bar is just an indication. Don't pin yourself on the fact that these are exact numbers. If you go flatout it's even possible to go beyond that bar and +20L/km. It's more of an indication for eco driving.

Btw, I'm also from around Gent so it's possible we could pass each other one day. What colour is yours?
Cewl, thx for the heads up!

Wijs, nog ne Gentenaar
Kveronderstel ook bij Mahy voor uw onderhoud?

I've already watched your gallery, nice color and engine choice! I replied on autoforum btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA108 View Post
If you're driving around a parking lot then you're going to be in 1st and 2nd at high revs. Expect low mpg in the teens. You need to get on more of a run at 35-40mph and then start to see what it settles down to. Also, at only 12 miles, the engine will still be very tight.
Manufacturers figures are always optimistic. Also, your local topography will make a lot of difference. An area with inclined roads will return worse consumption than an area with mostly flat roads. Same with traffic lights and other obstacles that make you slow, stop, accelerate.
Give it time to loosen up a bit. Do some real world driving and then see how it settles down.

In the video you see 1000-1500 rpm when the indicator shows max consumption, not very high revs

But I'm curious to see the consumption behaviour when I'll do some actual real and serious miles with it....after the leaking cooolant issue is fixed

Thx for the tips though, its the first time I've actually ever bought a spanking new machine
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 11:24

Car: 2017 1.5T Sport +
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riko View Post
Wijs, nog ne Gentenaar
Kveronderstel ook bij Mahy voor uw onderhoud?

I've already watched your gallery, nice color and engine choice! I replied on autoforum btw
Nope, the dealer I'm going is Ost in Wetteren.

Thx btw
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 21:37
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riko View Post

In the video you see 1000-1500 rpm when the indicator shows max consumption, not very high revs
It's not about revs but about throttle opening. If you're in too high a gear you will be at low revs but have to be heavy with your right foot just to keep the speed up. It's not always as obvious as that though as sometimes the difference in throttle pressure can be slight but show dramatically in mpg. The economy lights on the dash are crude and only take into account 1 factor. There's a road near me that's a flat 40mph zone. If I go along it in 3rd gear at 1,800 rpm, I'll return substantially better economy than if I go along it in 6th gear at 1,200 rpm. The reason is, in 6th the revs might only be 1,200rpm, but because the engine is labouring slightly, it takes more throttle pressure to maintain 40mph in 6th, than it does to maintain 40mph in 3rd. So you're injecting more fuel in 6th at 1,200rpm than you are in 3rd at 1,800rpm, so you get better economy at 3rd. Same with 5th gear on the same road. I usually run along in 4th or 5th just because it's quieter but 3rd or 4th are definitely a better choice than 5th or 6th.

By the same token, some Honda engines, the 1.8 being one of them, are more economical when pushed slightly! If I drive like Miss Daisy, I can return worse figures than if I drive a bit enthusiastic. Notice I said a bit here though. Putting your foot flat to the floor will definitely negatively impact economy. Also, being a newer engine designed m,ore for economy, your engine may respond differently to spirited driving than my older more powerful 1.8.
Riko likes this.

Last edited by RA108; 28th January 2019 at 05:05.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th January 2019, 22:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
i feel an experiment coming: cvt in manual mode and selecting the "gears" myself
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th January 2019, 04:59
Administrator

If the 10G still has the 'instant mpg' readout then use that to judge.

On a level motorway at a steady 60mph I can get my instant mpg to often read 75mpg. When it drops down to the 20's it's when you are accelerating.

I've posted before about my ex boss who had a Renault Scenic and moaned about mpg and brake pads. When I went with him I realised why. We went from Woking to Guildford and back, on a quiet A road, and he was accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake, all the way there. One of the worst journeys I've had.
RA108 and Riko like this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th January 2019, 05:51
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
If the 10G still has the 'instant mpg' readout then use that to judge.
It does, and I find it about as much use as tits on a fish.
I use the Info screen for trip MPG.
But either are pointless/useless whilst driving in a car park.
They tend to gobble gas when the engine is cold (the fuel injection equivalent of pulling out the choke, if any of you youths can remember that)
nturnb and Riko like this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th January 2019, 10:43

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Ah! The good old days... where you needed to keep in mind the car wouldn't start without a pull to the lever and would be wasting fuel if you didn't push it when warm...

And yes, I too find instant MPG generally pointless.
Riko likes this.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page