2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Bare metal at rear inner wheel wells - pictures

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Higgo8 
#1 ·
I want to know if its the same with all you other Hatch owners

If so, why did Honda decide to leave that spot open and uncovered where bare metal is seen, unlike the front arches wich are fully covered.

See less See more
#4 ·
What do you mean?

Got confirmation meanwhile, thats how all civics look like in that area.

At the front, the wheel wells are FULLY covered with this (sound?) isolation.
Wich also protects the metal at the same time.

All kinds of durt will collect in that area if course since its in direct contact with the turning wheels.
But what strikes me as very weird, is that they dont cover up fully the rear wheel well as they do in the front.

For me, its a risk for rust formation,
So thats why I was curious to know if its in all hatches.
Because here, winter time can really **** up the under side of a car!
You are from the UK, so you know it better than everyone...
Dirt of all sorts can mock up in that area, but mostly, in combination with moist damp and salt.
Those are recepies for rust formation.

And Honda's of 'old' were infamous for heavy rust in exactly those spots.
Our previous 1997 Prelude had even holes in the rear wheel wells.

Thats why my question, since these Civics seem to have bare metal parts on what used to be historical weak points...

This, it strikes me as strange, they didnt went all the way with that cover, and left a spot open to the elements.
Apart from the fact that the metal is treated against rust.

...so whats been rubbing?

Looks like silver paint to me.
I hope its more than just paint alone at that spot....

#18 ·
M - 8 ? you had a peek yet to see what the story is? I'm under mine this weekend - so will also check... Where are we looking, on the lip of the inner arch?

Reactions: Riko
#19 ·
At the top of the rear arch and forward/aft from there. Just put your fingers there, between the wheel and the outer bodywork. The metal is not bare, but is coated in something that is a bit lighter than the polished metal bodywork. Spiders live in between the metal and the liner.

#22 ·
I'm not worried as my FK8 never goes out in the rain or snow and is kept in a heated garage, tucked under it's cover (blanket)... But it's always good to know whether even in these conditions, where the likelihood of rust can start... Now I know about it, I will have a look and probably do some "preventative maintenance" to stop it from occurring... Any excuse to get out the house and in the garage :smile3:

Reactions: Riko
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.