My Letter to Honda UK - Civinfo
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 10:43 Thread Starter

Car: 2018 1.5T CVT Prestige
Garage
My Letter to Honda UK

I'm about to send this to Honda UK.

Personal information, dates etc has been edited out, but thought you may enjoy reading:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Re: Honda Civic Prestige Faults

I purchased the above car in January 2019 from Honda. After driving the car for a couple of weeks I noticed some issues arise. I have visited my local Honda dealership in respect of various faults that I have on the car that I feel I must bring to your attention.

1st Visit – On inspection by Honda, various noises and rattles during normal operation as well as a wandering satellite navigation system position. I was advised that the faults listed were ‘agreed’ by Mr Service Manager and that a part would be ordered to resolve one of the issues and booked another appointment accordingly to get the issues addressed.

2nd Visit – Vehicle was left with Honda for a few days to address the issues I had raised. A rattling sunroof, creaking roof liner, buzzing from drivers A-pillar, and a whistling HVAC. The HVAC whistle was resolved, as was the rattling sun roof (it was re-greased). The sun roof rattle returned just over a week later. The roof liner continued to creak from day one. The sat nav continued to lose its position.

3rd Visit - Vehicle was left with Honda again for a few days, whilst performing it’s first service issues were investigated again. The sun roof assembly had new seals fitted, and for nearly two weeks the issue was resolved. I then reported the fault again and it was agreed I would take it in for another attempt to resolve. The roof liner creaking seemingly not detected as an issue. Other dashboard and cabin trim rattles continued. The sat nav continues to lost its position.

4th Visit - I left the vehicle with Honda for a few days, Mr Service Manager even verified whether I would be happy for him to drive it home to ensure the rattles were resolved once and for all. I reluctantly agreed to this as I felt I’m never going to get these issues resolved otherwise. I collected my car, and it seems now many months later the sun roof rattle has been rectified still. The roof liner creaking still continues, as does the sat nav position wandering.

1. Roof Rattle / Creaking Noises. The sunroof rattles whilst driving. Honda have re-greased the roof assembly on the first attempt to resolve, and a new seal has been installed on the second attempt. Both of these rectified the noise for a week or so before the issue returned. On the third attempt some different seals were replaced. Upon using the sunroof for the first time, strings of grease came down into the cabin, this happened a number of times. Now I keep the roof blind shut until the window is open, then I open the blind to prevent the grease dripping down.

2. Various Interior Noises. During normal use, there are a number of intermittent ‘noises’ coming from different areas of the car. Inside the dashboard instrument panel, inside the centre column/wireless charging pad area, in the headliner along the roof. Depending on the weather conditions these issues seem to vary. Some of these have been addressed by the dealer, some by myself. I believe a trim piece was damaged on the third visit. So saved the inconvenience of yet another visit to the dealer, and purchased myself the part from Honda Motor Parts and fitted accordingly.

3. Satellite Navigation System Wandering Position. The car position marker frequently does not follow the road on the Sat Nav. It can be up to 300 yards wrong and not even on the road along which you are travelling. Either on a nearby road or in the middle of a field. A software update and some other troubleshooting measures were tried by Honda as per advice by Honda Technical in respect of this, but as of yet nothing has rectified it.

This is my third Honda vehicle and to be honest I am utterly dismayed that what I considered both reputationally, and from my own experience, to be a reliable and quality automobile manufacturer. I have always found Honda to be the pinnacle of reliability and function, if the feature is available on a Honda – it’s robust, or so I thought. I have previously recommended and praised your company to friends, family and acquaintances. I simply cannot wholeheartedly do so any longer.

After months of deliberation I am going to struggle to consider ownership of any other vehicles made by Honda in light of such fundamental issues. After looking on forums and social media, owners both in the United States and Europe suffer with the same issues I have – each with mixed results as to which are addressed or not. I had high hopes for this car, but am left feeling saddened and disappointed by what I had considered to be a brand I would remain loyal to for a lifetime.

Yours faithfully

Me
Jon_G, Neil11 and Bones126 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 12:47
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Will things improve when Swindon is shut and our Hondas are built in the Far East?
Won't be putting money on it.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 13:36
Supporter

That’s a good letter. Keep everyone updated with any feedback

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 15:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
I added this last paragraph before printing and posting:

Had I been dealing with a different manufacturer I’d have used my UK consumer rights and rejected the vehicle within 30 days of ownership, for a full refund, but as I held Honda in such high regard I didn’t contemplate this.

Letter ends.

I've also e-mailed the UK Managing Director directly.

I will definitely update with any response that I get.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 16:47
Clutch pedal guru

Good luck. My recent communication with them regarding parts for my DC2, got one of the managing director's cronies. Most unhelpful reply. Then they got shirty when I said I'd post their reply on the DC2 forum.
Jon_G likes this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 17:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
Good luck. My recent communication with them regarding parts for my DC2, got one of the managing director's cronies. Most unhelpful reply. Then they got shirty when I said I'd post their reply on the DC2 forum.
It will be interesting what reply I receive, but I think I've done it more to just air my grievances. My decision is made, Toyota/Hyundai/Kia next. I think the best thing Honda could do would be to give me a brand new Civic Prestige with all the niggles ironed out - even though they will not, I still believe certain issues would arise within a year of ownership and I would be back to square one.

Any offer of 'having a look' at my car again I don't think I can stomach. I've had trim broken by Honda technicians, and grease dripping in to my car because of their actions. The car is 'acceptable' as it is to me, and I am learning to detach my expectations from what is ultimately a car.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 18:59
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Quote:
Then they got shirty when I said I'd post their reply on the DC2 forum.
Quite right too. It's their copyright and the small print at the bottom of a reply that I got from them expressly forbade it.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th September 2019, 19:59
Supporter

Car: 2018 1.5T Sport
My dealings with HUK leave alot to be desired, in my experience they are not bothered as most people just either don't complain or accept the niggles. Next time I too will be voting with my feet and spending my hard earnt elsewhere, which is a pity as in a couple of years I'm retiring and plan to spend up to 40k on a new car from my lump sum....... it won't be a Honda that's for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
stoo, M8TJT and stimcity like this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 08:15
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Reject the car and claim a refund and go elsewhere.

If you have it on finance, then you also have additional protection in terms of section 75 of the consumer credit act.

Despite Honda touting themselves as a mid market premium brand, they are unfortunately short of the mark in terms of overall build quality these days.

I have had good dealing with HUK in terms of good will gestures recently and my experiences with Honda Main Dealers have also been pleasant recently but the lack of a real improvement in the range of vehicles is leaving me cold.

Would more than likely mortgage my house for a proper ZF equipped FK8 but it'll never happen.
stimcity likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 09:32

Car: 2018 Civic Sport Plus CVT
Have to say that after 2 9Gs and 3 10Gs I opted for something different. I remain a Honda enthusiast. For me a Mini Countryman Cooper S, after 3 months not a fault, rattle, whistle or creak. Faster to 60 by over a second as well.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 11:20
Earth Dreams :)

Car: 2017 CTR GT
Garage
I have had many niggles with my Honda's and I am a pretty relaxed patient kind of guy, but fundamentally the build quality on the FK8 is not the best and it is obvious that during this Honda NPI, there have been a number of cost cutting exercises.

However, having said that - the Honda dealership for me has always backed me and fought my corner with the FK8, even demonstrating that the hold up for decisions is not the dealership, it's Honda UK or issues sent direct to the factory. My older CRZ is a much better put together car, no rattles or squeaks or trim falling away from main components and for me this is what I expect from a Honda.

It's a shame in all honestly, and Honda UK seem to want to push customers away vs Honda US who want to work the issues with the customers - just because there is more volume and therefore more Yen at risk.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 14:02
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Quite right too. It's their copyright and the small print at the bottom of a reply that I got from them expressly forbade it.
I'm loving your moral high ground, yes they wouldn't want me exposing how crap their customer service is in this respect
M8TJT and jasonstatus like this.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 14:19

Car: 2014 1.6 i-dtec, Alabaster S
Garage
Had my civic for 4 weeks now and it's been back to the garage 4 times.

Once, the day after picking it up, to have a new battery fitted and the subsequent 3 occasions because the steering wheel is not level when the wheels are straight ahead. Each time it has come back in a more bat***** crazy set-up than when it was left with them.

Absolutely at the end of my rope with Honda as the previous 2 cars i had from them were sound, their lack of attention to detail nowadays is upsetting as i have always extolled their virtues.

It's going to an independent garage to be sorted and Honda presented with the bill which they will pay. Still have the matter of compensation to discuss with them as it's been in the garage for a quarter of my ownership period.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 15:30
Clutch pedal guru

What you guys could be experiencing is a workforce that are facing redundancy and are letting standards slip.
Jon_G and Haltamer like this.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 16:41
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
What you guys could be experiencing is a workforce that are facing redundancy and are letting standards slip.
Perhaps I'll hold on for a JDM Civic
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 18:10
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
Perhaps I'll hold on for a JDM Civic
I would
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th September 2019, 22:36
Supporter

Speaking of, yesterday in a car park I saw a Honda Prelude with an "F" prefix, 1988, and it looked in pretty good condition, whoever has it keeps it nice and tidy.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 21st September 2019, 11:18
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Deja vue of the 1970s and good old British Leyland & Ford.

As an old Navy lag once told a much younger me-
If you treat your employees like dogs, they behave like one -- pi** up your leg and sh** on the carpet.

As I moved up the management ladder I never forgot it, some people never learnt it in the first place.
hondacivicnut likes this.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 21st September 2019, 11:19
Supporter

Garage
sounds like it's worth keeping my 2 8G cars for a while longer then?
hondacivicnut, Andy17 and Neil11 like this.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 21st September 2019, 20:54
Clutch pedal guru

Unless they're knackered or you need to change them, there really is no need to get rid. The only thing you're doing is lining the pockets of the dealer and manufacturers swapping them so often. The depreciation hit is crazy and just to swap to a newer model when there's nothing wrong with the reliability and usability of the old one.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in