Dangerious auto headlight sytem - Civinfo
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By xenon04
  • 1 Post By flashy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 00:50 Thread Starter

Dangerious auto headlight sytem

There seems to be a dangerous issue with the auto headlight system.
Yesterday while driving at dusk cars traveling towards me were flashing their headlights and gesturing at me.
I couldn't understand why until I suddenly noticed my headlights had automatically switched on, (as they are supposed to), but on full beam!
It seems that if you have previously finished driving while on full beam they will turn on again in full beam mode.
In dusk conditions when it's not dark enough to see the headlights on the road surface and the pathetic blue warning indicator is all but invisible it's quite possible to be unaware that you are dazzling oncoming road users with those powerful LED high beam headlights.
Surly this must be a design fault?
Surly when the headlights auto switch on they should be in dipped mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 09:28
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Your car has High Beam Assist id suggest, a few have suggested its very sensitive. To turn it off I found the following for you.

Quote:
To disable the system: When the vehicle is on and parked, pull the headlight lever towards you and hold it for 40 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator blinks twice. To re-enable the system: Pull the headlight lever towards you and hold it for 30 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator blinks once.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 10:01
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
I had that problem as well until I realised what was going on. I just make sure that the lights are dipped before switching off the car.

If you have been manually using the dip switch and left it in the main beam position, how would the car know that you don't want main beam when the lights next auto switch on? I suppose they could have fitted a servo on the dip switch to return it to dip on each start up.

I am uncertain whether Das' and the rest of this post actually address your problem. as they refer to High Beam Assist (HBA) system, not the auto headlight on system. (Unless they are linked but I am not sure)

Whilst Das' post offers a work around, but completely disables the HBA function, you can temporarily switch it off by just using the dip switch 'as per normal'. Switch HBA back on by 'pulling' to main beam for at least two seconds.

Neither Post #2 or #3 suggestions overcome the problem highlighted in post #1; both are a 'work round' but I posted this as further info on HBA.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 11:30
1.5 VTEC TURBO

Car: 2017 Civic Sedan
Eco display
Garage
Geoff3: if you drove with the manually turn on high beams (on switch from the previous ride) and ignored the blue warning dashboard indicator, it's not a system fault
The car is not a fortune teller to know that you don't want high beam lights turn on
Next time leave the switch in the low beam position and High Beam Assist takes care of switching itself
scaramanga, M8TJT and Haltamer like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 13:03

Car: 2019 Honda Prestige CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff3 View Post
Surly when the headlights auto switch on they should be in dipped mode?
Did you check that the stalk hadnt been pushed forward at all?

Because if the stalk was pushed forward and not reverted back to its usual position, then whenever you turn the lights on or they are activated, it stands to reason that the high beam function would activate as the stalk is pushed forward.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 13:35
1.5 VTEC TURBO

Car: 2017 Civic Sedan
Eco display
Garage
if you forget to turn off the high beams, they will turn on automatically next time (time 0:45)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 14:09
Super Moderator

Yep, that's what the OP classes as dangerous.
The real issue is that the car does not tell you when it has switched on your lights so that you can check Hi or Lo beam.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th October 2019, 17:30

Car: 1.8i 5 Door sport - Daily
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M8TJT View Post
Yep, that's what the OP classes as dangerous.
The real issue is that the car does not tell you when it has switched on your lights so that you can check Hi or Lo beam.
Not sure that is correct as my girlfriends 19 Jazz brings the Hi Beam light on as well as the lights ON sign when the AUTO come ON.......
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 00:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks all for your comments and taking the time to replyYes the problem was that I had inadvertently left the stalk pushed forward so when the lights automatically came on they were in high beam.

Xenon04 - I'm not suggesting that there is a system fault or that I choose to ignore the blue warning light it's just something I wanted to make people aware of. The blue light although obvious when it's dark it easily missed, or not noticed, when it's still light (dusk).
M8TJT - On my last two previous vehicles (an Audi and a Seat) the high/low beam function was switched by pulling the stalk forward and the lights would toggle between high and low beam at each pull of the stalk. Both had auto headlights and did have this 'problem'. When the lights switch on the default was 'dipped'. It does seem to me that a switch with two fixed positions for high/low beam is a bit antiquated.

I will make sure the stack is clicked back into dipped at the end of each journey in the future!!

BTW has anybody noticed that these LED lights although dazzlingly bright when you look at them and they make road signs glow like they are radioactive aren't particularly good at lighting up things you need to see, pedestrians and cyclists in dark clothing for example? I'm not sure if it's because the 'LED light' is polarized or maybe it's the colour temperature but the light does seem to get absorbed by most materials.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 00:09
Super Moderator

IIRC, mine puts on two lights, the headlight indicator and the auto lights indicator.
OP was complaining about not being able to see that the lights are on by the illumination of the road, or the fact that he can't readily see the lights on indicators on the dash.
What I meant was that the car does not announce over the audio system "{Ding Dong} I have just switched your lights on as it is getting dark and you are silly enough not to switch them on yourself" or something similar such as a beep that has you looking all over the place to see what it was trying to attract your attention to.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 00:15
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
This highlights that we seem to be more dependent on the car making the choices rather than the driver. Give me a car with less gizmos any day of the week.
tricky70 likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 09:00

I would like to start the car do not turn on headlights immediately is it possible.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 10:01

Car: 2019 Honda Prestige CVT
Quote:
Thanks all for your comments and taking the time to replyYes the problem was that I had inadvertently left the stalk pushed forward so when the lights automatically came on they were in high beam.

I will make sure the stack is clicked back into dipped at the end of each journey in the future!!

Had a feeling i was right from my earlier post.

Problem solved I guess
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 15:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
M8TJT - On my last two previous vehicles (an Audi and a Seat) the high/low beam function was switched by pulling the stalk forward and the lights would toggle between high and low beam at each pull of the stalk. Both had auto headlights and did have this 'problem'. When the lights switch on the default was 'dipped'.
Ah I see. Not had one like that.
Quote:
It does seem to me that a switch with two fixed positions for high/low beam is a bit antiquated.
Now you have mentioned it, I agree with that. Soooo last century.
Quote:
Quote:
BTW has anybody noticed that these LED lights although dazzlingly bright when you look at them and they make road signs glow like they are radioactive aren't particularly good at lighting up things you need to see
Yep, I have that problem too, even though they keep dipped beam on when they go to main beam. Weird isn't it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 18:40

Car: 1.5 Sport+ Polished Metal
The auto full beam is *****.

Following a car last weekend on country roads on a very dark wet night, the car in front pulled over thinking i was police as kept switching between high and full and to override the auto you have to turn full beam on to disable.
Also, sometimes rather late in switching for an oncoming vehicle. (Later than i would) inevitably followed by an irate driver blinding you with their full beam.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 18:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yeah, the technology isn't quite there yet.. maybe in the future
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 6th October 2019, 23:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearstar View Post
{snip} and to override the auto you have to turn full beam on to disable.
No you don't. Just use the dip switch. Once you do that, auto stays off. The two seconds of main beam procedure is for switching it back on to auto again.
Quote:
Also, sometimes rather late in switching for an oncoming vehicle. (Later than i would) inevitably followed by an irate driver blinding you with their full beam.
Then use the dip switch and the two seconds of main beam again to switch it back on
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th October 2019, 10:22

Car: 1.5 Sport+ Polished Metal
Ah, so manual automatic.

I was told yesterday by Honda when complaining about my parking sensor issue, "well you can turn it off" Brilliant
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th October 2019, 10:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearstar View Post
Ah, so manual automatic.
Yep, that's about the size of it
Quote:
I was told yesterday by Honda..... "well you can turn it off" Brilliant
What were you expecting/hoping that they would say?. "Ah yes, we know about that and there is a fix." That would have been good wouldn't it.

As it happens, I find it not too bad, with my main, but slight, 'problem' being that they don't switch back to main beam quickly enough.

Civinfo > 10th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2017 - ) > Bugs, faults and irritations (10G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page