Road Noise Possible Wheel Bearing problem? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 6th August 2013, 18:08 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDI, Milano Red
Possible Wheel Bearing problem?

Hi,

I have had this issue on my 2.2 CDti for some time, I am trying to get to the bottom of it now.

the noise sounds like, what I can only describe as a "Whining-WobbleWobble" sort of noise.

After much trial and error, the Noise is at its loudest when:
  • Driving at 45-50 Mph with the clutch disengaged (clutch pedal down) or in neutral with the clutch in or out.
  • Turning off Engine whilst car is making the noise, continues to make the noise
  • Have heard it when the gears are engaged, but much louder if you take it out of gear or press the clutch in.

From what it seems like, it could be a wheel bearing, but I cannot understand why not having it in gear makes it louder.

when it drops below 40 or goes over 50 it seems to vanish completely, and it does not happen all the time.

What do you all think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 6th August 2013, 23:25
Supporter

Car: 2013 C-Max
Hi

Are you turning off the engine whilst driving along?? if so probably not the best idea if I'm honest.

But anyway here's my two pennies worth; I'm not sure why it would be louder when you disengage the gears? Maybe that's just a bit of a red herring due to the fact the engine is only idling.

Before I had my ctr I owned a Toyota Celica which was making all the usual wheel bearing noises so I put it into my local garage for them to have a look at. With the car up on the ramps there was no evidence of a wheel bearing problem (which was a good thing as the price of rear wheel bearings for that car was ridiculous).

My local garage got in touch with the local Toyota garage and they said that they'd never had to change a rear bearing on that model of Celica either but had heard of an issue where odd tyre wear was causing the problem, so I swapped the front and rear tyres round and the problem moved with them, so ended up replacing 2 tyres and the problem went away. Maybe have a look at this 1st before jumping in feet 1st. It may even be a balancing issue, but without hearing it 1st hand it's difficult to say.

Anyway, hope it helps

Last edited by Fikerz; 6th August 2013 at 23:46.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 6th August 2013, 23:33

Could be odd tyres on the front making the noise..as in odd I mean tread depth..or odd makes.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 7th August 2013, 06:40 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDI, Milano Red
my initial thoughts were tyres (when it started months and months ago), I bought new ones and the problem was still there. (I only bought a front driver side one - my passenger one needs doing soon, so maybe this is all it is?)

I took it up on jacks last night and wobbled the wheels, all seem fine (sounds like front driver side - but I checked all)

Also, didn't mean to alarm anyone! It's not like a drive around all the time with the engine off - Just wanted to rule out if it was engine related or not, this was on a empty straight road for a few seconds to see if it still occurred or not. (Not as bad as my old Accord which developed the well documented Ignition Switch problem )

Took the father in law out in it last night - he couldn't even hear it from passenger side!?!

Also, I have noticed when it is doing it, it goes away as soon as you touch the accelerator a bit (in gear) - Which would be the opposite to a wheel bearing issue? If anything it gets louder decelerating (not braking necessarily) from 50 down to about 40 then it vanishes.

From what it sounds like though, I don't need to panic at the moment? maybe wait till it gets worse? Just a bit scared to, as I said that 6 months ago and it hasn't got any worse but it's still there!

Last edited by alecl; 7th August 2013 at 06:44.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 17th August 2013, 12:46

Car: 2008 2.2 Cdti EX - Red
Cool Rumbling noise similar to wheel bearing failure

Hi,
I have a similar rumbling noise consistantly from the rear, when I took my 2008 2.2 EX for a service 3 weeks ago the tech had a look and instantly found that my rear tyres were stepped. If you run your hand around the tyres in one direction you can feel that the rubber blocks have worn unevenly.
Now allegedly he did not know what caused this but there is loads of information on line regarding similar faults with Civic's, this should have only affected early models 06-07's but I have heard of people with 2010 Civic's with the same fault. They have even gone to court in the States and won their case for compensation against Honda.
My tyres last around 6K miles at which point I have to swap the front with the rears to try and even out the wear but this is a known problem that Honda need to sort out.
I have had Honda customer care telephone my local dealer on Friday 16th August to request that they carry out a 4 wheel alignment check, he has also suggested other things to the service manager that I was not told about??
Honda have also agreed to stand most of the cost even though my car has now done almost 76,000 miles.
I have gone through a fair few tyres during it's life and this was mentioned to Honda who understood that something was not right - If you approach it in the right way with Honda customer care and not go on the attack, they will help out as much as they can although they will not admit there is a problem.
Contact the care team and mention your problem, it may save you a few pounds or may be even free?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 19th August 2013, 20:39
Supporter

if youv'e had the wheels of the floor and checked for play and found none it's a safe bet there not to blame did you spin the wheel ? they should be smooth not sounding rough
on the road a noisy wheel bearing would get louder when steering left or right and would tend to go quite when breaking ( could do the same when accelerating hard )

i would agree with the tyres causing the noise and don't forget the back tyres as the noise can quite easily be transmitted to the front from the back i had a hell of a time a few years ago trying to find a problem with the front end of a car which turned out to be a back tyre with a very slight flat on it

more recently ( still a couple of years ago ) i had some cheapy new tyres fitted to the front of my accord i owned at the time and the noise was instantly noticeable my mate swore it was the wheel bearings
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2013, 13:41

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
I'm also experiencing some odd noises.I heard it first when doing 75 mph on a perfect new piece of road. Instantly thought it was the wheel bearings.
Yet when driving more i sometims could hear it when doing only 30 mph on some roads and also, the noise doesnt get worse when i increase speed.
I popped into my honda garage and they were incredibly willing to help me diagnose the problem.
They took the car on a test drive and agreed with me there was a slight humming - buzzing noise.
When the car was on the ramp, they checked the front wheels as that is were the sound is coming from but there was zero noise when we spun the wheels (apart from the pads ever so slightly touching the disc) and there was also no play whatsoever in the bearing.
So i think (hope) that my tyres are getting so low that they are making this noise.
I'm running uniroyal rainsports 2 all round and they have almost covered 40 000 km, thread depth is still legal but i was planning on buying new tyres after the winter.
If the noise doesnt get worse over time, i guess its a tyre problem.
Anyway, this is going to cost me

EDIT: Perhaps its also worth mentioning that its virtually impossible to hear the noise with the a/c and the radio on normal
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 4th September 2013, 12:27

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
I'm also experiencing some odd noises.I heard it first when doing 75 mph on a perfect new piece of road. Instantly thought it was the wheel bearings.
Yet when driving more i sometims could hear it when doing only 30 mph on some roads and also, the noise doesnt get worse when i increase speed.
I popped into my honda garage and they were incredibly willing to help me diagnose the problem.
They took the car on a test drive and agreed with me there was a slight humming - buzzing noise.
When the car was on the ramp, they checked the front wheels as that is were the sound is coming from but there was zero noise when we spun the wheels (apart from the pads ever so slightly touching the disc) and there was also no play whatsoever in the bearing.
So i think (hope) that my tyres are getting so low that they are making this noise.
I'm running uniroyal rainsports 2 all round and they have almost covered 40 000 km, thread depth is still legal but i was planning on buying new tyres after the winter.
If the noise doesnt get worse over time, i guess its a tyre problem.
Anyway, this is going to cost me

EDIT: Perhaps its also worth mentioning that its virtually impossible to hear the noise with the a/c and the radio on normal
Went for a second opinion at a local car shop and one of the mechanics said he could slightly hear and feel the left front wheel bearing starting to give.
Hope it will hold another 2000 km as i'm leaving on holiday sunday with the car. After that, i'll have to put the civic aside untill i have enough money to have it fixed.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th November 2013, 11:12
Supporter

Car: Black Civic 2009 1,8Sport
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th November 2013, 12:51
Supporter

that sounds like a duff tyre
is there any feedback through the steering wheel ?

another thought is it could be resonance noise made through air flow but it does sound like somethings out of shape

Last edited by cosmicma; 10th November 2013 at 12:53.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th November 2013, 13:17
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
that sounds like a duff tyre
is there any feedback through the steering wheel ?

another thought is it could be resonance noise made through air flow but it does sound like somethings out of shape
There is no feedback to the steering wheel... its wired, first i thought i can be from the tires, then a wheel bearing, but i noticed first while i was going on vacation, driving at night with no noise from the outside, and i hear that. by the way, the tires are original Michelin ....
Now i think its getting louder and louder... but i can hear it above 50km/h...
so there is no way to take out the head and hear it from the outside....
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th November 2013, 13:38

Eco display Eco display
I had a very similar noise on my car but it completely disappeared after changing to my winter wheels and tyres....
Now i'm a bit baffled as i've never heard of tyres making such a noise??
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th November 2013, 22:42
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woette View Post
I had a very similar noise on my car but it completely disappeared after changing to my winter wheels and tyres....
Now i'm a bit baffled as i've never heard of tyres making such a noise??
So you are saying that is something with the wheels? BTW these are purchased wheels, not the original. Maybe i will try putting back the originals and see what happends....
but the noise.... i still thing its maybe a wheel baring, but after a 25.000km???
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11th November 2013, 06:50
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,040 Posts
If it is a wheel bearing, then the noise will very noticeably alter as you corner.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11th November 2013, 07:29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
If it is a wheel bearing, then the noise will very noticeably alter as you corner.
No, this is when driving straight, on 80% of the road, is very loud, the rest is not noticeable...
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 30th November 2013, 10:03

Car: 2013 1.6 idetec ES. White
Interesting idea. My ES 2.2 ctdi has 135k and Ive had it here in ROI for last year and 20kmiles. Would appear to have the "Whine" coming from back and running Pirellis on 17" rims. Thought of bearings but spinning wheels suggests no wear. Noise is if anything worse at 80mph on motorway??
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 30th November 2013, 18:00
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catciv View Post
Interesting idea. My ES 2.2 ctdi has 135k and Ive had it here in ROI for last year and 20kmiles. Would appear to have the "Whine" coming from back and running Pirellis on 17" rims. Thought of bearings but spinning wheels suggests no wear. Noise is if anything worse at 80mph on motorway??
No, you can hear the noise only when driving from 60km/h until 100km/h after that there is no noise... about 80km/h is most noticeable.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 10:15
Or Ryan

Car: 2010 Milano Type R,
Garage
I'm having an issue developed recently.

Breaks have been a bit grindey when breaking at low speeds, you can only realy notice it with the radio and air con off. Checked the pads and they have loads left as far as I can see.... I'm no expert.

Last night I started to get a squeaking noise intermittently when turning left, couple of loud ones at 50mph + and sometimes quiet at low speeds but only occasionally.

She is in for her 3 year service and mot tomorrow so ill mention it.... Hope it's not expensive this close to Christmas!
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 14:26

Car: 08 Galaxy Grey,1.4i-dsi
in my case change for winter tires also solved this problem. looks like michelin is over.
as to squeaking when turning left in my case were rear pads when sound indicator was catching brake disk.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10th December 2013, 16:29

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca9phoenix View Post
I'm having an issue developed recently.

Breaks have been a bit grindey when breaking at low speeds, you can only realy notice it with the radio and air con off. Checked the pads and they have loads left as far as I can see.... I'm no expert.

Last night I started to get a squeaking noise intermittently when turning left, couple of loud ones at 50mph + and sometimes quiet at low speeds but only occasionally.

She is in for her 3 year service and mot tomorrow so ill mention it.... Hope it's not expensive this close to Christmas!
I've always found the brakes on mine a lot more noisey then cars from other brands, perhaps due to poor isolation?
Mine did start making more noise when there was not much left on them, new pads were definetely more quiet but i can still hear the rubbing when breaking at low speeds. With the radio on normal volume, i dont notice it.
Thanks to Woette from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Tags
bearing , noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page