2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

rusty roof warranty service bulletin

Paint 
42K views 97 replies 61 participants last post by  Vyse 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
hey guys

now what with all the grief people have been having with getting there roof rust sorted under warranty whether it be because honda uk are taking ages to get back to the dealer or that bond uk are claiming they no nothing about this. i have the holy grail that will help everybody get there roof fixed without any problems.

only today i traveled to my nearest approved body repair centre to be told it will be fixed with no problems and without contacting honda uk.

the bulletin even claims that honda are not to touch the roof rust unless the owner/buyer mentions it! and that in some instances it can be fixed without contacting honda uk at all

i hope this helps guys and if it does please get in touch to let me know

feel free to print this off and use at your disposal

the service bulletin is as follows:

page 1

page 2

page 3

See less See more
#59 ·
Just had this done under warranty, Honda rolled over without incident. Fantastic job as well from the bodyshop.

Dealership: Phoenix Honda Linwood

Within 6 year warranty: No (2 months out)

Full Honda Service History: No (part Honda/part independent)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 ·
Only had honda service history until 2013 and got accepted. The guy at honda said it should not matter. Car is going in for the repair on the 25th. Courtesy car from honda provided. All you need to do is phone honda uk, describe the problem and insist on opening a case and giving you the case number. Then your local dealer will inspect the car = guy I was dealing with took photos with his phone and sent it back to honda uk. After about a week I got a reply and it did get authorized. Dp not give up whatever year or service history your car is. Just follow the steps I took, they are still fixing these issues acroos the whole uk

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#69 ·
Hey:) I seem to have the same problem as everyone else rust on the roof I have a 2007 red type R. so I had a read of this and went to two Honda dealers closest to me well no that close and both have just kicked me to the curb said it is out of the warranty for it.. My Question is do I continue arguing this? if so who do I contact next or what are my options anyone knows a rough price a body shop in the UK charges for this? ideally, if Honda would fix it that would be mint. As I bought this car in a state from a guy that had given up on it and ran it into the ground, so I have spent a fairly substantial amount of money on parts getting it running and back in roadworthy condition

#70 · (Edited)
Didn't even know this was a widespread issue till now, mines not too bad really so I thought it was just general wear and tear on the car rather than a specific problem.

Its a 2007 (57 plate), without looking I think the first chunk of its servicing was done at Honda dealerships but since I've owned it I've taken it to a garage that I have been using for years. Should my first port of call be getting the VIN off the car and putting it into their website where you can check for outstanding recalls? Or should I just drop by my local Honda dealership one day (there's one about 5 minutes away from where I work) and see what they say about it?

Edit, checked my VIN and its says there's no outstanding recalls? Should I take it that this issue has been fixed on my car previously or that the recall period has simply timed out?

#71 ·
Hey, buddy yeah this is my question. I did try and get this sorted by going to two Honda dealers both just told me no out of warranty and that is that. But other people seem to have more luck so I'm hoping to find out what form people used to make a claim or how they argued the point. Didn't know whether this was worth me starting a new thread now the cars are out of warranty so people can follow it if they have the same problem as us?

#72 ·
Yeah I'll wait and see for a while, not in any rush really as its really not too bad in my car at all, I was thinking of taking it to a local bodywork place at some point anyway to see about getting some stone chips repainted, and a couple of other minor paintwork issue seen to. Although if I do go down is route it'll probably be nearer the summer months rather than sooner.

#73 ·
I have no signs of rust or anything along the edge of the roof, nor is there a recall on my VIN.
Do you guys still advice I pay Honda a visit and ask if they replace the seal?
I rather prevent it than wait until it happens and then have to deal with the whole respraying etc.

#76 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my car doesnt have service history with it. However, I got the VIN from the seller before I bought it, contacted Honda and they confirmed it had Honda service history from 2009-2015. I'm going to go to the dealership and see if they will print it for me.

From there, I'm going to see about the roof rust repair issue. My friend has a 2007 FN2 with part Honda history and his has just been repaired FOC at a dealership. So I'm going to give it a go - fingers crossed!

#82 ·
Just received this response from Honda.co.uk after I emailed them at lunchtime.

Dear Mr. Roberts,

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We are sorry to learn of the issues you are experiencing with rust appearing around the windscreen of your Honda Civic.

We can recommend vising an authorized Honda dealership for an inspection of the vehicle. Our technical department will be able to advise you on the cause of the issue and the options for coverage of the problem. Our colleagues will also be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

You can locate a Honda dealership in your area at: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/dealer-search.html

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Stanislav Kostov

Honda Customer Service

#90 ·
Contacted Honda NL 2 weeks ago, they told me to get it inspected by the dealer. Went to the local dealership a few days later, at first they said they've never heard of this, so I told them there is a service bulletin about this problem. While they looked it up on the computer I checked a few gen8s over there. Out of 3 cars only 1 from 2011 didn't have the problem. They took a few pictures of the roof in the end without even asking for the service record. Got a call from the dealership yesterday to book an appointment for the repair. My car is a FN1 facelift from 2009, so the warranty still applies. My huge thanks to you guys, else I would not have even discovered the rust.

#93 ·
Hey guys I’m about to fill out the form on the Honda uk site. Without sounding too pushy, what are you writing in to Honda exactly about the roof rust?
“My roofs rusting at the seal can I have it repaired FOC? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Are they still approving work on 57 plate models with 60k mileage
Help would be great

#94 ·
Hey guys I’m about to fill out the form on the Honda uk site. Without sounding too pushy, what are you writing in to Honda exactly about the roof rust?
“My roofs rusting at the seal can I have it repaired FOC? 🤦🏻‍♂️
Are they still approving work on 57 plate models with 60k mileage
Help would be great
I think 13 years is the cut off if your lucky, mines an 07 with around 61k on the clock and showing slight signs of rust starting, I don't think I'm even going to bother trying.

#97 ·
Can someone tell me what the department or the people I need to ring where a dealer sends the claim off to Honda UK for approval so I can chase this. As I went to a dealer with a full honda dealer service history from new ownership missing one year due to the milage being so close together they are not approving because of this.

The dealership didn't measure the paint or take that many photos but who or which team do I have to go through to find the claim other than taking there word for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.