2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Windscreen Washers Blocked Up

Windscreen 
140K views 184 replies 102 participants last post by  BossHogg 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone else had the problem of their windscreen washers not working? This is now the 3rd time that this has happened. Took it back to the dealer on the previous 2 occasions and they said that it was the filter that needed cleaning. Surely a design problem as I have never had this problem before with any other car. Does anyone know how to access the filter to save me taking it back to the dealers again?

Thanks

alloallo.

#3 · (Edited)
What are you filling in? Most ready-made liquids are cr@p so I'm filling in only water (regular tap water not filtered) with 1 teaspoonful (about 4-5 ml) of "Pril" dishwashing liquid per 4 litres, not one problem in 10 years.
In winter, mixed with alcohol, obviously - I only fill in the ready-made stuff when I have to which is perhaps once a year

edit: and it's important to close the cap tightly after filling. Also, if you are using the (summer) liquid very sparingly, algae could grow on the filter - and then you know what happens

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I have managed to unblock it again. It first happened after my 1st service. I accused the dealer of having charged me to fill it up and not having done it. Now I know that this is not the case. Water is always clean so don't know why it is doing this. Today I just unclipped the 2 sections of pipe, gave a quick blow and now all sorted again.

#6 ·
Never had it with my Honda but it happened 3 or 4 times with my previous Volvo V70. To get at the filter and to replace the pump (which had to be done twice) they had to remove the front bumper and a headlight. Now that's bad design! Just glad Volvo were paying.

#18 ·
thanks but that looks a bit of a extreme way to get to the washer bottle[smilie=cheeky-grin:[smilie=cheeky-grin:

it started when the washers ran out of water so the water in now isnt frozen the jets squirt a bit out but only at the start then stop.

i also had a problem with the fluid smelling like a old pond so maybe its a build up gunk in the pump that why i want to check there..

#41 ·
Pump not priming

Everytime my washer runs out of fluid I am unable to use my washers for anytime upto 3 days - I believe there may be an issue with priming the system. Don'y have this problem on any other car.

The water i put in is clean and usually has an additive (not always)

Last time I mentioned it to Honda they just filled it up and charged me for some of their lovely(?) (and expensive!!!) washer fluid.

Issue solved but problem still exists!

#20 ·
Thats exactly what happened to mine, fortunately for me just before the service was due. When I enquired what they had done to fix the problem I was told that the mechanic had cleaned the filter that was located sommewhere under the wing. Unfortunately I never saw him them doing this. I have had a look since but must admit that I couldn't find it myself. Good luck.

#22 ·
I'm having a problem with my screen washers since I had my car serviced a couple of weeks ago.

I fill up the resevoir with several litres of screenwash mixed 3:1 with filtered or distilled water. After a couple of days at the most, it appears to be empty again.

I've done this a couple of times. Off to the dealer for an MOT today, I'll mention it then.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers,

Strontium

#24 ·
Filled up mine at the weekend and it started leaking at the first bend (just after the filler section) The part where you put the washer fluid in is not part of the rest of the bottle and was not pushed in all the way - only lost about 100ml - even so :confused:

#27 ·
Depends, have you got Headlamp washers (ie Sport or EX model) ? If so, a few days in this climate will run the water out pretty quickly, though I'm surprised it is so quick.
I've got HIDs on my Civic ... I'm currently using approx. 6 litres of washer fluid per week ! ... even at supermarket prices, that's about £8 per week here ... roads here are at their dirtiest right now (not freezing much, which is better) and the HID washer jets use a lot of fluid ...

And yes, check that the 'horizontal' filler pipe section is properly secured (it's separate, because it needs to be removed for certain maintenance operations) ... also, don't forget to ensure that you fasten the cap after filling ! - I once didn't and lost a lot of fluid while driving (the pump seemed to generate back-pressure and blew fluid back into the engine bay) ...

#33 ·
I would think if you follow the same procedure to change a foglight lamp then you should be able to access the washer bottle.

Tom

#34 ·
I have had this problem since Sunday morning. I have not been able to use the windscreen washers at all.

When I pull the wiper lever the motor works and there is pressure in the pipes from the reservoir but there is no water at all coming out of the jets.

I've tried to clear the jets with de-icer / a needle in case it was frozen / blocked but there still is nothing happening.

I am going to take it into the garage at lunchtime as with the current state of the roads it is increasingly difficult / dangerous driving to and from work on the motorways.

Does anyone know if this is something that would be covered under warranty or will it cost me?

Thanks

#37 ·
washers & warranty

I have had this problem since Sunday morning. I have not been able to use the windscreen washers at all.

When I pull the wiper lever the motor works and there is pressure in the pipes from the reservoir but there is no water at all coming out of the jets.

I've tried to clear the jets with de-icer / a needle in case it was frozen / blocked but there still is nothing happening.

I am going to take it into the garage at lunchtime as with the current state of the roads it is increasingly difficult / dangerous driving to and from work on the motorways.

Does anyone know if this is something that would be covered under warranty or will it cost me?

Thanks

I have the same problem, and the dealer has already agreed to do it under warranty - they have replaced the pump so far to no avail. They have now ordered new jets (not in stock, so still waiting). I reckon you guys on here have a better idea of the problem than my dealer does!:mad:

#36 ·
Try a hairdryer if you think they are frozen......... The fluid in mine began to freeze on my screen yesterday!!!!! Yeesh cold, so filled up 1 litre neat screen wash (-15 protection) and 1.5 litres pre-mixed (-8.) wash, cured the problem.

ATB,
Tom

#40 ·
That was going to be my suggestion. Could it be the type of screenwash that is being used. My previous car was a Golf with fan jet washers. The VW screenwash is actually really good and i'll probably continue to use it on the Civic. Has a nice smell, wipers don't judder, excellent cleaning and doesn't smear.

I once used Halfords screenwash in the Golf and after a few days could see that the spray from the jets was reduced, maybe the jets on the Civic are the same.

I wonder if Honda produce a similar screenwash product to VW.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.