2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Check your alarm, does it work ?

Check your alarm system

Electrics 
185K views 713 replies 196 participants last post by  Northern Soul 
#1 ·
Could not find this one in the search, but I was looking on CTRO site and saw a Thread on alarms not working. So as you do I checked mine and guess what……. Yep not a peep :mad: . The indicators flash but no siren and the sensors in the car don’t seem to work either !!! Cant believe I have had my car for a few months with no alarm, and probably no bloody immobiliser…:mad::mad::mad:…. Check yours

#35 ·
Tested mine, but not as loud as i thought it would be! Its an 06 registered Civic, have they changed the alarms in 07/08 models?
and if they have can i go get it upgraded? ha ha! fat chance! answered it myself...

#39 ·
If you lock the car with the remote then unlock with THE KEY in the lock the alarm should sound. To test the interior alarm (if you have one) leave a window open, get out and lock the car. Put your arm through the open window into the inside of the car. This should set off the alarm.

To stop the alarm just press the remote or if that dosn't work put the key into the ignition and it will stop in a few seconds.

#41 ·
OK if I lock the car with the remote and then unlock with the key the alarm is disarmed. I sat in the car and set the alarm and unlocked the back door and opened it - the alarm went off!

If I unlocked the drivers door then nothing happened but if I unlocked other doors the alarm went off - Neighbours now think I am strange(r);).

#43 ·
OK if I lock the car with the remote and then unlock with the key the alarm is disarmed. I sat in the car and set the alarm and unlocked the back door and opened it - the alarm went off!

If I unlocked the drivers door then nothing happened but if I unlocked other doors the alarm went off - Neighbours now think I am strange(r);).
On the Type R if you lock the car with the remote and then open with the key then the alarm sounds! Not sure about your car. Cant you just leave a window opened?

#50 ·
Another test you can do to check the bonnet pin switch is:

Sit in the car, lock it with the remote, wait for the alarm light to flash and then open the bonnet. If your car has motion sensors (mine does not) make sure you are bent down by the bonnet switch before the car arms!!!

Mine only sounds the car horn.

If you think these alarms are quiet, Renault Scenic ones are really quiet - not much louder than the ticking of the indicators!!!

#52 ·
Mine works - f'ing loud too...

-H

#54 ·
Update............ Right Siren sorted after major surgery but there is a fault with the two stage airbags. They asked me how the hell I knew ??? I pointed them to this site and they said " Sites like this just scaremonger " to which I replied " thank god for sites like this "

#57 ·
I am now so LIVID!!! The alarm was ok in Sept when I brought the car! I rechecked my alarm today and guess what, no sound! The sensors dont work either!
CAT 1 alarm? What a load of rubbish! I've now book the car in for Monday week. This will mean hanging around for an hour for them to check it and then another return visit to get it replaced.

Looking at this thread somebody mentioned its a electrical build fault. Does anyone know where the alarm is located under the bonnet, is it a big job to replace? :mad:

#60 ·
I am now so LIVID!!! The alarm was ok in Sept when I brought the car! I rechecked my alarm today and guess what, no sound! The sensors dont work either! :mad:
Welcome to the club! Mine was in the dealers for a day finally getting both fixed after 3 visits where they failed to fix it. In the end I had to get Honda UK involved who said they have never heard of anyone having this problem before - lol

#58 ·
ive just experienced the exact issue whilst putting petrol! I locked the car realising i had left the fuel cap open... there they were the flashing lights, no sound! (bearing in mind my kids were locked in the car at the time, hense setting it off)! HMMMMM! I guess what that means is, if anything is not closed correctly then the siren will not work!

In the garage right now as we speak... yes thats fast work... only kidding, in for a service!

#61 ·
cheers me dears!!! I know what you mean... i tend to want to make an excuse for everything!!! and not admit there is a problem, was kinda weird walking towards a car to see flashing lights but no sound!!!

#63 ·
I just checked mine, no problems.

However I never checked mine using the internal sensors, I just locked myself in and tried the door!

Will have to test the internal sensors the next time I go out.

Just FYI 08 VIN number, 57 plate, Type-R GT.

Stu

#65 ·
Its not good for Honda, I owed a Peugeot for 10 years and never had all these problems. I thought that Japanese cars were reliable??? And after spending over £20k its not good enough, I doubt I'll stick with Honda with the next car that I buy! This will be the third time in 9 months that I had to go back to the dealer!

It looks like that we have to keep checking our car alarms as mine was working fine a few months ago!
:confused:

#71 ·
I've just called Honda UK and complained, they were not aware of this issue. I told them that I would hold them responsible if anything happened to the car until it gets repaired. They told me that they would look into each case and as good will would pay up.
I believe that the immobiliser is separate and not linked to the alarm system! STILL LIVID! lol

#73 · (Edited)
I've just called Honda UK and complained, they were not aware of this issue. I told them that I would hold them responsible if anything happened to the car until it gets repaired. They told me that they would look into each case and as good will would pay up.
I believe that the immobiliser is separate and not linked to the alarm system! STILL LIVID! lol
It is

#76 ·
Honda Customer Car Relations ( Technical Team ) 01753 590760
You'll be wasting your time talking to these ineffective droids.

They'll lose details of your call, tell you that you're not the owner of your car, then not bother calling you back.

Mental imagine of four people and a playstation in an office being inconvenienced by the phone ringing.

I'm not bitter at all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.