2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Check your alarm, does it work ?

Check your alarm system

Electrics 
185K views 713 replies 196 participants last post by  Northern Soul 
#1 ·
Could not find this one in the search, but I was looking on CTRO site and saw a Thread on alarms not working. So as you do I checked mine and guess what……. Yep not a peep :mad: . The indicators flash but no siren and the sensors in the car don’t seem to work either !!! Cant believe I have had my car for a few months with no alarm, and probably no bloody immobiliser…:mad::mad::mad:…. Check yours

#142 ·
Mine works fine.

Phil.

#143 · (Edited)
Alarm update - it pays to read the manual

Just a quick update after finally getting my owner's manual in English (so much easier that trying to translate).

So, I stated earlier that the alarm did not go off if opening the driver's door with the key (not remote), and this is still correct and the way it should be.

However, how many of you use the "super locking" feature? Super locking is when you lock the car by pressing the lock button on the remote twice within 5 seconds (or turning the key in the lock twice). If the car is "super locked" then all locks inside the car are disabled (cannot be opened from inside so do not do this with someone in the car, well maybe kids :rolleyes:), and the only way to unlock is with the remote or the key. Cars with ultrasonic sensors: if you use the key to unlock "super locking", then the alarm will go off. :hmmmm2:

So, it is not an easy system, but reading the manual sometimes can really help... [smilie=cheeky-grin:

[I]Still not sure about the "siren" though, must be extra... lol

EDIT: "Siren" (or bleeper as it is referred to in the manual) is only on cars with the ultasonic sensor.
[/I]

#144 ·
Just a quick update after finally getting my owner's manual in English (so much easier that trying to translate).

So, I stated earlier that the alarm did not go off if opening the driver's door with the key (not remote), and this is still correct and the way it should be.

However, how many of you use the "super locking" feature? Super locking is when you lock the car by pressing the lock button on the remote twice within 5 seconds (or turning the key in the lock twice). If the car is "super locked" then all locks inside the car are disabled (cannot be opened from inside so do not do this with someone in the car, well maybe kids :rolleyes:), and the only way to unlock is with the remote or the key. Cars with ultrasonic sensors: if you use the key to unlock "super locking", then the alarm will go off. :hmmmm2:

So, it is not an easy system, but reading the manual sometimes can really help... [smilie=cheeky-grin:

[I]Still not sure about the "siren" though, must be extra... lol[/I]
so does that explain why my alarm wouldn't go off when I tried to unlock with the keys? I'm just as confused... I think...

#146 ·
Just spoke to the dealer and it looks like the new siren and control box haven't resolved the issue.

They have put a new fuse box on from a different car - with a working alarm - which they believe has solved the fault. However, Honda arent happy with the warrenty claim/resolution and are sending a senior engineer down to inspect the car tomorrow!!!!

Maybe the number of sirens/control boxes being ordered has raised some eyebrows??

Oh - what fun!!! Lets see what tomorrow brings :)

Simon.

#153 ·
Just spoke to the dealer and a Honda engineer and two representatives from the company that manufactur the fuse box have looked at the car.

Apparently, the alarm does work - but only once!!! Some problem with the fuse box means that when first connected to the battery it works - but only the once. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting makes it work again - but again only once! This is probably why all the cars would have passed their PDI.

Annoyingly, despite trying two new, and presumably improved, fuse boxes on my car and proving that they work they wouldnt leave the part with the dealer :confused: Its had to be ordered and should all be sorted tomorrow.

Lets hope so :D

Simon

PS you may have guessed from my post that I am not too technical when it comes to cars. So hopefully someone may come on with a fuller explanation!!!

#150 ·
Ignore my poll result, my alarm does work! Sat in the car, locked the door and opened the bonnet. Hey presto, a honking horn!

A few days previously, I opened the door from the inside which didn't trigger the alarm. Should it have??

#152 ·
I have a Jan 06 model and my alarm works fine. Sat in the car and locked it, moved around and the alarm (not the horn) sounded. Also locked the car with the window down and waved my arm inside with same result. Using the key when it was locked made the indicators flash but using key when it was "double locked" sets off the alarm.

#158 ·
Mine works like a dream now...... I think we are getting lost a bit here.

If you lock your car with the remote (whilst out side the car), wait 1 minute (important). Now put your key in the lock and turn. This will trigger the alarm.

If you have sound and flashing lights = Good
If you have flashing lights and no sound = Bad
If you don’t have anything chances are you don’t have an alarm.

Now ultrasonic sensors.

Open drivers window, close door, lock with remote. Again wait 1 min. Wave hands around inside car.

If you don’t have anything chances are you don’t have an alarm

This is the official procedure to test the system.

#159 ·
Mine works like a dream now...... I think we are getting lost a bit here.

If you lock your car with the remote (whilst out side the car), wait 1 minute (important). Now put your key in the lock and turn. This will trigger the alarm.

If you don’t have anything chances are you don’t have an alarm.

Now ultrasonic sensors.

Open drivers window, close door, lock with remote. Again wait 1 min. Wave hands around inside car.

If you don’t have anything chances are you don’t have an alarm

This is the official procedure to test the system.
Unlocking the car with the Key after locking with the blipper only works on Cat 1 alarms (not SE or Sport).

The only sure fire test is to open the bonnet while sitting in a double locked car.

#168 ·
Different dealer did the same with mine as well as trying out a new fuse box. The guy said he swopped the above with another Type S and it all worked ok. They then put mine back together and blamed it on a simple connection (after replacing and leaving in the new control box). Bottom line is once armed I left it for just over 30 secs, unlocked the door with my key and the alarm activated instantly..... Me Happy Hawk;)

#169 ·
Well my alarm is definitely not working.

I sat in the car, locked myself in, had red light flashing to say alarm armed, pulled the bonnet release lever and..........nothing. Just the indicator lights flashing and clicking furiously.

Presumably as i have a Type R i should have the ultrasonic/movement? sensors as well?

Moving around in the (double) locked car triggers absolutely nothing. Not even flashing indicators :(

A trip to dealers i suppose is the only option now :(

#170 ·
I have just tested mine again. ( The last time the dog set it off ).
Sat in car for 2 + minutes, to let car settle down.
Went to grab my pipe ( I have a cunning pipe holder on the centre console :) , sad ennit) and off went the siren, via the internal sensers.
Well, I'm still awake, so why shouldn't the other 279 folk in the village be. :)

#172 ·
Phoned the dealer today and the car is ready for collection with the alarm working :D Obviously I will test it when I pick it up ;)

The siren and the main fuse box have been replaced. It was the main fuse box that Honda were poking around with yesterday - so perhaps this is the root cause :?:

Thanks

Simon

#176 ·
This car is all about a double feeling, it looks and drives great but the build quality is very very very low...
That is such a good summary of how I feel about my car too.

I have to say (possibly a bit rude:oops:) thats as I assume English is probably not your first language - you have expressed it better than I can!

However - on the point of the thread - mine works fine (EX) and has only 'false alarmed' once in 2 years, which I regard as pretty good. In our office car park, there is at least one false alarm a week, the most common seeming to be the Mini, but its also a popular car in the office car park. There are I think only 3 Civics

#177 ·
keep reporting to the bbc watchdog link peeps, please, we need to pull Honda UK up about this BBC - Consumer - TV and radio - TV and radio
To be fair, it seems that Honda dealers are fixing those that are faulty with no delays. Don't you think it would be better to use Watchdog for an issue that Honda tries to brush under the carpet. The handbrake issue was a good example.

#180 ·
Took my car to the dealers yesterday and they were genuinely very surprised that the alarm didn't work. And very apologetic. In the end i think nearly every employee in the place came and had a look.

So its now booked in to be fixed. I certainly won't be leaving it parked anywhere except at home overnight until its fixed

#183 ·
My complaint is that HUK do know about this problem and have known since early this year and the least they could do is double check new cars . But what really pisses me off is the denial !!!!

#184 ·
This is what annoys me. Sure anyone can make a faulty batch but my faulty alarm was reported to HUK by me in March. Because I was getting no where with my dealer it was HUK that contacted the dealer service manager for me and agreed with them to take parts out of a working car to get it sorted. HUK knew all about faulty alarms at least 4 months ago.

Now it may be that HUK have a high churn on staff but surely they keep a database showing new staff the existing faults they have had escalated to them.

It is all very well Dan saying that Ford and other makes are just as bad. I bought a Honda because I wanted a better built car NOT the same quality as all the other makes. I had a Ford previously and it only ever saw the dealer once a year for its service so in my case Honda is a below standard quality car.

#186 ·
Funny enough last week i was sat in the car and took the keys out & locked the door, anyway the indicators went off but no sound, so i guess mines is knackered too .

I didnt think twice about not hearing a sound as i thought the alarm was an optional extra as Honda is quite good at making everything optional at a cost. Will test it tomorow. Bit late at night to be testing just now.

#187 ·
Took my car in saturday morning regarding the alarm, confirmed alarm was not working!!! and are ordering parts and want my car for TWO days to fix it?

Was told it takes two hours to fully diagnose the alarm faults?

NOT VERY HAPPY at the moment, waiting for my dealer to ring me........................:confused:

#188 ·
Tell me about it. I took my car in this morning and after spending 2 hours at the Honda dealer they still could nt find the fault, but believe that its from the fuse box. After diagnosing the problem they believe that there may be a loose connection and a trip somewhere, as the Alarm, sensers and siren are OK. Now booked in for 2 days next Thursday as thats then I can get a loan car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.