2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Check your alarm, does it work ?

Check your alarm system

Electrics 
185K views 713 replies 196 participants last post by  Northern Soul 
#1 ·
Could not find this one in the search, but I was looking on CTRO site and saw a Thread on alarms not working. So as you do I checked mine and guess what……. Yep not a peep :mad: . The indicators flash but no siren and the sensors in the car don’t seem to work either !!! Cant believe I have had my car for a few months with no alarm, and probably no bloody immobiliser…:mad::mad::mad:…. Check yours

#195 ·
What annoys me is the fact that all these little faults show that these cars are not fully tested before you get them. I expected better than that considering the price, and for Honda to rely on the dealers to fix their lack of quality control doesn't make things any better.

#197 ·
Sorry brodick, I cant see were you are coming from :confused:. Out of 100 people who have taken part in this over 20% have an alarm problem. This figure is well too high for a major car manufacturer like Honda. The numbers of people out there who don’t know about this would be in the thousands. Face it, Honda UK have F*&KED up royal with this. IMO Civic owners should know about it, not just brush it under the carpet because some people have a hard on for their stealers ! :rolleyes:

#200 ·
Thanks Dr V for the heads up - checked mine and same as you, flashing indicators but no siren. Only had the thing for two weeks and I've been back to the dealer every Saturday since......

#201 ·
Thanks Dr V for the heads up - checked mine and same as you, flashing indicators but no siren. Only had the thing for two weeks and I've been back to the dealer every Saturday since......
Thats disgraceful, Honda needs to get their act together, what are they playing at? I've complained to Honda UK. For a car like a CTR a working alarm is a must! [smilie=pissedoff.g:

#202 ·
Complained to HUK today about alarm, Dealer has telephoned that they wil take it in Tuesday and want it for at least 3 Days!!!

Have told them that I will bring my car in Monday night..........................

:confused:

#211 ·
Taken car in last night, to be informed it should be ready tomorrow?

Said they would fit new window seal, I said what about the alarm?

The service receptionist went blank!! "whats wrong with the alarm" I said the car was booked in for at least 3 days for the alarm to be sorted.

He spoke to hios colleague who shruged his shoulders and said he hadn't heard of a problem. Then I told them that I had brought the car in a week on saturaday. To confirm the alarm was not working?

I have little confidence in my dealer..................................

I also showed him a print out of a forum member on here with rattling windows (the same problem I have been having) and having the windows seals replaced cured the fault. My dealer did not want to know............................

Honda Dealers don't you just love them..........................:rolleyes:

#205 ·
Mine goes in next Wednesday - having to wait for a loan car to become available.

Service Manager says the alarm fault I describe has not presented before so they too want to do some tests and compare notes with HUK. If I was him I'd test every Civic at the dealership as a matter of course.

Will follow developments here with interest.

#206 · (Edited)
Here we go again................third time the alarm has packed in now !!!!!
Dealer says that they are treating this as an isolated case as they have not heard anything from HUK ???

Still keeping checking your alarms even once fixed as it seems not to be a permanant Fix !!!

#207 ·
Got my brand new S-GT today... the ultrasonic sensors worked fine (arms waving test) but when I first tried the door/bonnet test all I got was lots of flashing but no sound (after waiting half a minute till the red light changed its flashing speed). Left it and tried again a few minutes later and it seems to be fine. I think maybe it needs longer than just the 25 seconds the manual says for the door/bonnet thing to kick in...?

#212 ·
Interesting thread! My 2.2 was left unused for two days due to being away for a couple of nights and when I tried to restart the car....... nothing dash was dead no power. Called out RAC and they got the car running but the alarm was constantly sounding, certainly made for an interesting drive to the dealers!! Turned out to be the alarm unit that had malfunctioned and drained the battery. One new alarm later all is well, at least I new that the alarm was working:D

#214 ·
Well it's back got a phone call just after 2 o'clock saying everything has been done and the alarm works.

Seems that they had to reset some circuits and disconect the battery (as all my radio settings are out!!) undoing a few connections and waiting ten minutes for the circuits to reset? I was told they contacted HONDA and that is what they said to do.

Will see if this is a fix..................:smile:

#215 ·
My car went in for the alarm to be fixed yesterday. Unfortunately the technicians were unable to discover what the problem is and said they will have to contact Honda

My car has to go back in this week for some repairs so they hope to fix it then.

Apparently an alarm from a new car that was known to be working was installed in mine. The result was that this 'new' functioning alarm ceased to work in my car so further investigation is needed :confused:

#216 ·
My car went in for the alarm to be fixed yesterday. Unfortunately the technicians were unable to discover what the problem is and said they will have to contact Honda

My car has to go back in this week for some repairs so they hope to fix it then.

Apparently an alarm from a new car that was known to be working was installed in mine. The result was that this 'new' functioning alarm ceased to work in my car so further investigation is needed :confused:

thats utter ****** !!!!! i hate stealers :mad:

#217 ·
My dealers are really good. They look after me really well and tried very hard to get things moving with insurance people etc to speed up the repairs on my poor dented car.

They seem to be genuinely flummoxed (?) over the problem with the alarm and went round testing all their stock cars to see if any others have a problem. They didn't. The day i took it in to report the problem i think every person in the dealership came to have a look and try to get it to work.

I am confident they will get it fixed for me. They are going to get advice and fix it while my car is in for the body work repairs. This way i feel i will get the problem sorted once and for all (i hope) and not just some quick fix that may only be temporary if other peoples experiences are anything to go by.

I have been using this dealer for almost 4 years now and they have never let me down.

When all is completed to my satisfaction i'll give them a mention in the wiki

#218 ·
My dealers are really good. They look after me really well and tried very hard to get things moving with insurance people etc to speed up the repairs on my poor dented car.

They seem to be genuinely flummoxed (?) over the problem with the alarm and went round testing all their stock cars to see if any others have a problem. They didn't. The day i took it in to report the problem i think every person in the dealership came to have a look and try to get it to work.

I am confident they will get it fixed for me. They are going to get advice and fix it while my car is in for the body work repairs. This way i feel i will get the problem sorted once and for all (i hope) and not just some quick fix that may only be temporary if other peoples experiences are anything to go by.

I have been using this dealer for almost 4 years now and they have never let me down.

When all is completed to my satisfaction i'll give them a mention in the wiki

We are very fortunate to have good dealers close by R-2. :D

From what I've read on here there are a lot that are not so good. :(

You'll have to point them in the right direction if they get stuck, print out this thread. ;)

#221 ·
Well......it's another control unit that needs to be ordered and fitted tommorow
In all fiarness my dealer is bending over backwards to cause me as little inconvienance as possible

#222 ·
Well, my dealer has come up trumps and fixed my silent alarm in about two hours. They took the trouble to enquire with HUK ahead of me turning up with the car.

It appears that as of yesterday Honda Technical, being aware of the problem now have an official fix in place. As I understand it the core of the problem is that for some markets a non Thatcham CAT 1 alarm is considered adequate, and this utilises the car horn. On UK destination CTR's the alarm controller has to be told to look for a siren instead and this is where the conflict occurs. No replacement parts are needed. It's a set-up issue and relatively easy to fix.

#223 ·
Chalks;207011 . As I understand it the core of the problem is that for some markets a non Thatcham CAT 1 alarm is considered adequate said:
Millie's, Thatcham CAT 1, just uses the horn.

......that scares off the bu**ers, I bet!

......but should it have a siren?

"What would be easier?
Losing pounds by strict dieting,
Or put on pounds and get a gastric by-pass done?

#225 ·
Chalks;207011 . As I understand it the core of the problem is that for some markets a non Thatcham CAT 1 alarm is considered adequate said:
Millie's, Thatcham CAT 1, just uses the horn.

......that scares off the bu**ers, I bet!

......but should it have a siren?

"What would be easier?
Losing pounds by strict dieting,

Or put on pounds and get a gastric by-pass done?
You should have a siren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.