2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Check your alarm, does it work ?

Check your alarm system

Electrics 
185K views 713 replies 196 participants last post by  Northern Soul 
#1 ·
Could not find this one in the search, but I was looking on CTRO site and saw a Thread on alarms not working. So as you do I checked mine and guess what……. Yep not a peep :mad: . The indicators flash but no siren and the sensors in the car don’t seem to work either !!! Cant believe I have had my car for a few months with no alarm, and probably no bloody immobiliser…:mad::mad::mad:…. Check yours

#306 ·
My alarm had gone for the third time, I need a new multiplex, apparently.

#307 ·
Just checked mine - the lights go manic. But no sound from alarm..this will be going to Brindley Honda West Brom tomorrow. I hope no one steals my car - but my neighbour was looking mysteriously at what I was doing.

#308 ·
I dont belive it... I just tested my alarm on my ctr, bought new in may, and the alarm DOESNT WORK:mad:. I have flashy indicators, but no sound...... now wheres the unmute button....??LOL

I am working unntil 6am then going home for breckie, shower, and straight down the dealer.
I will be kicking off and will be looking for compo, as always, hope theyve had expresso![smilie=cheeky-grin:

#309 ·
You should believe it. This thread has been running since June and has effected dozens of members. Be interested to learn if you get anywhere with compensation.....proving a loss, with the car on the forecourt might prove a tad difficult ;)

#310 · (Edited)
You should believe it. This thread has been running since June and has effected dozens of members. Be interested to learn if you get anywhere with compensation.....proving a loss, with the car on the forecourt might prove a tad difficult ;)
My friend, the art of compo is not for us to prove anything.
Its is about the fact that we have bought a product which doesnt work.
Honda advertise that this car comes with an ALARM, and mine clearly doesnt, so..... "over a barrel comes to mind".

They have inconvienced me, as I have to take the car to dealerhship.
But the bigger picture is that this is a expensive car, with no security. This car should be tested and perfect when I take ownership of it. Honda has developed and tested this car, and I would assume that all the costs from design to testing are offset in rrp.
Therefore they have FAILED to deliver what they are advertising. Their fault, not mine.

Finally, as you have mentioned this is not an isolated case. Therefore Honda should have made civic owners aware that this is a "possible problem". Dealers should be asking their csutomers to check their alarms.

The Laws of Cutomer Service:
1. The Customer is ALWAYS right.
2. If in any doubt, refer to rule no1.
:D

#314 ·
Come on guys have a little faith. Dont be such downers, you have to learn the art of complaining.

Ive never failed to get compo, even if its just a fiver freebee.
Your dealers must be bad if they let their customers walk out with a temper!!!
In car sales Repeat Business is very important.

I have a few bullets to fire, plus I will be there at 7.50am straight from a 12hour night shift, for my appointment with the dealer principle.;)

1. Alarm doesnt work
2. Passenger speaker is not working (2nd time)
3. Stone chips

Whatever the outcome, ill keep you posted.

#315 · (Edited)
Had my civic just over a week and did try the alarm but no joy. But I just tried locking the door with the keyfob and opening with the key, no joy.
I will try again in morning (or this afternoon when I get up, on night shift)
If no joy straight back to the dealer.

Rich 11 I assume you use the local dealer in Hull, so if I have a problem with my alarm they should be aware of it.

#316 ·
Had my civic just over a week and did try the alarm but no joy. But I just tried locking the door with the keyfob and opening with the key, no joy.
I will try again in morning (or this afternoon when I get up, on night shift)
If no joy straight back to the dealer.

Rich 11 I assume you use the local dealer in Hull, so if I have a problem with my alarm they should be aware of it.
Yes mate ask for Neil Service Manager he is well aware of the problem and tell him That I have had the same problems ( De Vries )

#317 ·
Hi All,

Got to the dealership at 8am, and sat there until 12.
They will order me a new speak- result.
And they have fixed the alarm, and the unlra sonic sensors. I showed them print out from the forum, and the Service manager was VERY helpful.
He rung Honda, and explained the problem, after they got a bit stuck, and Honda advised them to reset the alarm system, and remove the battery. They left it all unplugged for 20 mins, and hay presto.
I will continue to monitor it, to make sure it works.

Little tip - I took my flip key with me, and they woulnt touch the car, until I had the original key. had to back for the spare.

Paint problems - The service manager advised he had recently been on a 'Paint Issue' course organised by Honda. he showed me the device to test the thickness of the paint, and then tested pretty much every car in site, and recorded the reading on different parts of the bonnet.

The outcome was, that min was the same as all the other cars there, so no joy. His only advise was that Honda had stated they now remove all the Solvents from the paints they use, which thins the paint??

He advised I talk to a sprayer to see if I could get it resprayed thicker. But he admitted they had alot of compliants with the paint, and he felt it was down to the bad design of the sloping bonnet.

COMPO - YES, a full tank of fuel, and another umbrella.;)

#320 ·
Hi All,

COMPO - YES, a full tank of fuel, and another umbrella.;)
Yahooo! - Result - well done Shoulin :D and well done to your dealer :D

Reactions: Shoulin
#323 ·
Just checked my alarm out.

At first locked car with fob and waited a minute and unlocked with Key, and hey presto flashing lights and no siren.

Just about to jump in to my car and go to my dealer to complain when I thought I will give it a bit longer after locking the car to try open the door and to my suprise flashing lights and a siren (not very loud though). So now I know it works but will check on a regular basis.

So lets just hope that if somebody wants to pinch my car they do not try it in the first 2 or 3 minutes after locking it.

Might consider a tracker though.

#328 ·
After reading the comments on here regarding alarms not working, when i picked my CTR GT up on monday, i got the sales guy to test it with me sitting in the car, hey presto all is working fine.

Good job eh !!! :)

#332 ·
Ok, to clarify checking your alarm.

1) lock the car using the remote.

2) wait until the flashing icon on the dash stops (15 seconds for non interior sensored cars, 25 if with sensors)

3) insert the key and turn anti clockwise to unlock

4) open the door, the alarm should sound - car horn if no interior sensors, siren if with sensors.

To test the interior sensors, leave a window slightly open, from the outside lock the car, wait the 15/25 seconds then put your arm in and wave about, this should trigger the arm movement sensors. If the window is totally open, the sensors may have trouble setting if the arm movement is inconsistent.

#430 ·
Ok, to clarify checking your alarm.

1) lock the car using the remote.

2) wait until the flashing icon on the dash stops (15 seconds for non interior sensored cars, 25 if with sensors)

3) insert the key and turn anti clockwise to unlock

4) open the door, the alarm should sound - car horn if no interior sensors, siren if with sensors.

To test the interior sensors, leave a window slightly open, from the outside lock the car, wait the 15/25 seconds then put your arm in and wave about, this should trigger the arm movement sensors. If the window is totally open, the sensors may have trouble setting if the arm movement is inconsistent.
I know that there is a problem with some systems on peoples cars but i've also heard of a few people not testing the system properly, as in not waiting for the icon to stop flashing etc.

#333 ·
OK.....I can't figure out is my alarm working or not.

During the past month I've had a couple of incidents when the remote hasn't worked. However, it has only happened on unlocking. I've used the key to unlock the car and no alarm (only flashing indicators). Then I've tried the remote(locked and unlocked the car) right away and it worked fine. Basically, what has been discussed in this thread - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/17247-central-locking-probs.html

I've tested the alarm once - I locked myself in the car and stayed still for a minute or so. Then started waving my hands, and presto, the alarm sounded. I wanted to test opening the doors with the key, but every time I can remember it I'm in a residential area and its night time :). I can't test it at the moment as well, because I'm out of the country for 5 weeks.

Sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread - but has anyone had problems with the remote and the alarm???
When I get back the car is due to be serviced anyway so I'll see what he dealer has got to say about it.

#335 ·
HELP!

When I set the alarm using the remote; should the alarm sound??

I've set the alarm with the remote; unlocked the door using the key & the indicator lights started flashing but no sound from the alarm.

When I phoned the dealer, they said by unlocking the door with the key, it knows the cars been opened with the key so the alarm won't sound!!

Do I smell BS? cars booked in for Wednesday

#336 ·
HELP!

When I set the alarm using the remote; should the alarm sound??

I've set the alarm with the remote; unlocked the door using the key & the indicator lights started flashing but no sound from the alarm.

When I phoned the dealer, they said by unlocking the door with the key, it knows the cars been opened with the key so the alarm won't sound!!

Do I smell BS? cars booked in for Wednesday
This isn't true - as when unlocking the door with the key why would the indicator lights flash if the car knows it has been opened with the key :confused:

Lock car with the remote and wait - I had to wait for 2 minutes before unlocking the door with the key.

When you take it back to the dealer get them to show you other cars - remember to wait before unlocking - good luck

#337 ·
Well, I waited nd waited.

Left the window slightly open so i can slide my hand through. Set the alram, waited a few minutes, stuck my arm in, waived it around & nothing happened. Opened the door with key, lights start flashing but no sound. Sat in the car - & remember, all this time I haven't turned the alrm off - sat in the car, put key in ignition & pressed launch control - car starts but no alarm !!!!!!!

#338 ·
Well, I waited nd waited.

Left the window slightly open so i can slide my hand through. Set the alram, waited a few minutes, stuck my arm in, waived it around & nothing happened. Opened the door with key, lights start flashing but no sound. Sat in the car - & remember, all this time I haven't turned the alrm off - sat in the car, put key in ignition & pressed launch control - car starts but no alarm !!!!!!!
Definitely not working - back to the dealer with that one :mad:

Try this -

sit in the car (perfectly still) and set the alarm (windows closed etc) wait for a couple of minutes (don't move - so the alarm can set) then wave your arms around ... your neighbors will think you mad ... but the alarm should sound - if not the alarm is kaput :mad:

#339 ·
Yes its not working, mine was this way. I tested my alarm again yesterday and it still works. It should go off if you unlock the car with the key. What I do is to leave the window open, just enough to stick your hand and arm in, then after a minute or two put your arm in and wave. It takes a couple of minutes for the sensers to reset so wait a while before doing this. The dealer is talking bull with what he said about using the key, it should still go off! I've been there and dont it!

#350 ·
No - not to set the alarm - one press will set the alarm - second press will set the deadlocks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.