2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Check your alarm, does it work ?

Check your alarm system

Electrics 
185K views 713 replies 196 participants last post by  Northern Soul 
#1 ·
Could not find this one in the search, but I was looking on CTRO site and saw a Thread on alarms not working. So as you do I checked mine and guess what……. Yep not a peep :mad: . The indicators flash but no siren and the sensors in the car don’t seem to work either !!! Cant believe I have had my car for a few months with no alarm, and probably no bloody immobiliser…:mad::mad::mad:…. Check yours

#2 ·
Depends how long you waited before setting off the alarm

Try this

Lock car with remote
Wait a minute or 2
Unlock car with key

#4 ·
mmm - one of the first things I did was to try the alarm - so I know it was my car - armed it then opened with the key and just flashing indicators as you say. but arming and leaving (put shopping away) and trying again - bingo - dual tone alarm :D

#258 ·
After reading this thread i have not been able to get the alarm on my CTR to go off but didn't want to make it public knowledge.

I have had my CTR 1st service today and the Alarm is now ok.
The dealer has explained that on the Type R (or any model with internal sensors) if the windows are open when you set the alarm it disables the motion sensors in case a child or dog is left in the car while filling for fuel, etc.
I then explained that it never worked while sat in the car to test it but they have now repaired it, thank god.
7 months old car and i have probably never had an alarm that worked :mad: such much for the PDI checks !!!

#7 ·
DV that definitely doesn't sound right, if your indicators are flashing then the siren should also sound. Your immobilizer shouldn't be affected as it works independently (not that I expect that to make you any less pee'd off !) but I suggest you get in touch with me or our Wigan branch to book the car in.

#8 ·
Hi, just joined civicinfo this afternoon, welcome! With regards to this nagging issue for alarming / de alarming / entry into the Civic, I hope to find an answer in the next few days! I have a 3 month old Type R GT, today I booked the car into Honda's, they have never experienced a problem like it, so they say!

I first noticed the clock not keeping time, having to constantly reset it, secondly, the alarm would not deactivate from the key, tryed the second key, no good. Manually unlocked the door, started the car but had all lights flashing (painful), after trial and error i opened both doors, boot, bonnet then closed them , hoping something would reset....nothing...then..i reset the petrol filler cap...eurika...alarm went off...system was reset...happy days!

Two days later...got into the car no radio/air con display!! grrrr! but alarm system ok!
Week later alarm problem again! Grrrrrrrrr! Tried to renact as above , no good...but I closed and opened the boot...alarm went off and rest itself back to normal!

Had enough...into Honda's.....driving around in Nissan NOTE!!!! ;-(Watch this space!
PS ..Got mine from Wigan 3months ago!
Albie!

#11 ·
Hi, just joined civicinfo this afternoon, welcome! With regards to this nagging issue for alarming / de alarming / entry into the Civic, I hope to find an answer in the next few days! I have a 3 month old Type R GT, today I booked the car into Honda's, they have never experienced a problem like it, so they say!

I first noticed the clock not keeping time, having to constantly reset it, secondly, the alarm would not deactivate from the key, tryed the second key, no good. Manually unlocked the door, started the car but had all lights flashing (painful), after trial and error i opened both doors, boot, bonnet then closed them , hoping something would reset....nothing...then..i reset the petrol filler cap...eurika...alarm went off...system was reset...happy days!

Two days later...got into the car no radio/air con display!! grrrr! but alarm system ok!
Week later alarm problem again! Grrrrrrrrr! Tried to renact as above , no good...but I closed and opened the boot...alarm went off and rest itself back to normal!

Had enough...into Honda's.....driving around in Nissan NOTE!!!! ;-(Watch this space!
PS ..Got mine from Wigan 3months ago!
Albie!
They told me the same thing " never heard of that problem" I think i smell bull droppings........ I loved the "sales" service i got at Gordons Wigan, not sure about the "after sales" service :(

#13 ·
The non working alarm is a common fault. Had mine in March and only found out in April that the alarm made no noise other than the ticking of the indicators flashing. This was an electrical build fault. How many people check their alarms?

I also had no beeps on my factory fitted reversing sensors. Another electrical problem which was not connected to the alarm not working.

#16 ·
I asked my dealer, at car pickup yesterday, to show me how alarm sounds...

He locked the door with remote, and after some time (i supose there is some time needed for activation) he jus unlocked fron door trough open window and "voila"...horn started to "beep"

#21 ·
It seems it is the Civics built after November 2007 that have faulty alarms. (check build date on seat belt).

This is about the same time as they changed to two stage airbags. It may be worth having your air bags checked as I have read in a number of places of people having bumps in their Civic and being pleased their air bags were not triggered.

Personally I rate Honda electronics the most unreliable in any car I have owned. After saying that I expect my windows will not open tomorrow! (I already have my head lights flashing on and off for the hour before dark.)

#24 ·
Well this forum came in handy again! I didn't even know that my car had an alarm, as many models for the Finnish market seem to be without them for some reason, :confused: but they do have the engine imobilisors of course.

However, just got in the car, locked the doors, waited till the "alarm" light was flashing, opened the driver's door manually from inside and hey presto, flashing lights, beeping horn! Impressed! :p

#29 ·
Could this be the start of something ? Not a thing one tests , you assume it works. Upto now its alerted 2 of us lets see how many more ...........this should be made a sticky post

#30 ·
In know mines works. Apart from I set it off whilst sitting in it (I had accidently hit the open button on the key while parked and if you don't open the door within 30 secs it automatically locks it and I forgot!) but barr that I usually set it off while washing the car, especially power washing the roof!

Thats another thing I keep forgetting then I realise when it starts making a noise and flashing, then I have to hit the open button and remember to open the door then shut it so it doesn't lock itself again and it all happens all over ;)

#42 ·
It's a bit worrying that you spend so much time parked up locked in your own car ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.