2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Known fault checklist (for new car collection)

Other 
88K views 87 replies 57 participants last post by  petrouil 
#1 ·
The most up to date version of this list will be found here, in the wiki. Please update it if you wish.

I'll try to keep this updated as time progresses.

On collection of a new car - here are some known faults that you may want to test/check in addition to the stuff you'd check on any new car:

Rear shocks
Early cars made a "clonking" noise from the rear, caused by a batch of faulty shocks. A test drive will highlight this, but then the dealer should have just checked it. Ask the dealer if it has the fault - that should throw him!

Fuel filler cap
The cap on some cars doesn't open when you pull the lever. Pull the lever (by the drivers feet) once to check the cap opens.

Radio problems
As you arrive in your old car, tune a station that is of marginal, but just-ok reception. When you get into the Civic, tune the same frequency and check the reception is acceptable. There have been reports of poor reception.

Cigarette lighter
Pull the cig lighter out a few times and make sure the socket doesn't come out too.

Gear stick
Check it's screwed on.

Handbrake light
Check it goes on and off with the handbrake.

Door fit
Check the doors are aligned correctly. The stripe down the middle part of the door should line up with the stripe on the front wing and the stripe on the rear door.

Headlights fouling bumper
Check the bottom of the headlights are not touching the bumper (may rub causing paint to come off).

Missing clips
Have a look at the centre console down at floor level near your feet. There should be 2 clips on each side - these can pop out and go missing.

Reversing aids
If you've had dealer-installed accessories fitted, check for scratches all around the rear-centre console, the centre console, the gearchange and inside the tailgate.

Rear lights
Fog light not connected, best to check all lights working.

Scratches on the dash
The dash is very shiny and very prone to getting scratched. Check under good lighting conditions the black plastic around the instrument console and the perspex instrument cover.

See less See more
#36 ·
Not sure if you all got the recall about the electric power steering. My power steering disappeared after 1 week. The car was virtually impossible to drive. Even turning a slight corner at 50mph required massive exertion. Also my ECU failed 3 days earlier than that, after the car had covered a massive 87 miles. All kinds of warnings flashed up while I was driving and then it just died altogether. I've had all the other faults too. Touch wood, I haven't had any for a few weeks now, so I might be getting to the end of them.

#38 ·
Apart from this list and the possible Auto CC problem, is there anything else that has reared its ugly head?

The list doesnt really seem all that bad, but then I suppose it depends how much your dealer helps, the sales person I spoke to said he didnt know about any faults.

#39 ·
Call me cynical but sales either don't talk to service or he's a liar. Harsh - I don't think so.

#41 ·
Thanks

I'm new here so please be gentle. First Civic for 14 years, due to be delivered in 2 weeks. The list of know faults is really useful and looking forward to checking before I part with the dosh.

#42 ·
re: "windscreen rattles"

I also had an annoying rattle from the area around the top of the windscreen. I thought it might be a loose fitting microphone or similar in the roof centre / rear view mirror fitment, but when investigated by the dealer it turned out to be another 'known issue' on the Honda knowledgebase where plastic guidance clips which are used by the robots fitting the windscreen glass are left in the car by mistake. These should get removed further down the production line but sometimes get forgotten and are left in place. Then under certain weather / road conditions they produce this annoying rattle. This didn't happen for a couple of months after purchase, so everyone beware!

KJ[/quote]

Got the same problem - any information on how to get rid of these clips (or must the entire windshield be removed?)

#44 ·
Reasonable time for repairs???

An opinion please - my New 3 day Honda is back @ the dealer after breaking down!! I have been told it is a Faulty Wiring Loom

Anyway - I have been told 10 days - 6 weeks?

What in your opinion is a reasonable time for reapirs (i.e before I can reject vehicle).

Thanks a lot:cool:

#49 ·
Thanks a lot folks - When I spoke to the dealer last week he said " I have to give them evey opportunity to fix it", so not sure where I stand legally.

BTW - I have a courtesy (Jazz) car.

I'll keep you informed :confused:

Just for info mine is ES 1.8 petrol I-Shift [smilie=tongue.gif]

#51 ·
Hi, PCF you might find thee two articles of interest:

Honestjohn: Frequently Asked Questions

BBC - Consumer - Guides to - Buying from a car dealer

The time period for resolution seems to be stretching the term 'reasonable' I suggest talking to your local trading standards. If you need legal advice check if you have legal cover on your home contents, quite often this includes a legal helpline staffed by qualified solicitors who will be able to offer advice.

Either way the best of luck.

#52 ·
As I understand it (trying to collate the SOG act and the good stuff from the HJ site):

If the new car is not of satisfactory quality from new, you can reject it. Any fault that develops in the first 6 months is deemed to be a manufacturing fault unless the dealer can prove otherwise. However a successful reject for a full refund will only be done within a "short period" (2 weeks maybe), after which only if a series of repairs (3) fails to rectify the problem. After the short period you have had some good use from the car and the refund will most likely be reduced, or a similarly aged replacement car offered.

To reject a car you must return the car, all keys, and all paperwork. You must send a recorded delivery letter to the dealer principal detailing the exact reasons why the car was not of a "satisfactory quality" when sold.

The subject is complicated, and best left to a lawyer!

#53 ·
Good posts by Pottsy and JIMBO7268.
I was going to add, as an additional safeguard contact your local trading standards office. They will probably log your call, give suitable advice, and give you a reference number, so if it all goes pear shaped, they and you have a point of reference.

I think it unlikely it will go pear shaped. I'm sure your dealer will put things right. It comes down to what is 'reasonable' by both parties and this is where interpretation comes in (and possibly the legal boys). Nonetheless, this will not disguise your disappointment. You must feel gutted. I have the same car, this is why I am interested in your case.

On a side note, why is it Civic owners invariably end up with a Jazz courtesy car whilst the Civic is being repaired? Why can't they loan you a Civic? and an i-shift at that. If I had a Legend a few days old, facing a long delay for repair, would I end up with a Jazz? There again, that scenario is hardly likely. Legends are made in Japan aren't they?

#54 ·
On a side note, why is it Civic owners invariably end up with a Jazz courtesy car whilst the Civic is being repaired? Why can't they loan you a Civic? and an i-shift at that.
Because it is the cheapest car.
Most brands to something similair.

If I had a Legend a few days old, facing a long delay for repair, would I end up with a Jazz?
Probably.

There again, that scenario is hardly likely. Legends are made in Japan aren't they?

They are made in Japan, can´t comment on their reliability, although I am sure it is very good.

Don´t think I have ever seen the lastest one in real life.

#59 · (Edited)
i feel sorry for you ending up with a Jazz when you have only had your civic for such a short time!

when i had my prelude in for 3 days to have a new clutch i had a new civic type-s petrol courtesy car. thats what made me want a civic so much. but then when i had a service i ended up with an auto jazz. i was expecting a civic again so i nearly cried when the service man said "here are the keys to the jazz" :(. i hate CVT gearboxes!

do you guys usually end up with auto jazz'es. i hated it! i think the manual 1 would be 10 times better!

#64 ·
When we first picked our typs s gt up from the dealer all excited about our brand ew civic......then shock horror as we opened the driver door - a massive chip of paint of the edge of the door (possibly 2" long or just under).....utter disbelief.....never had that with the 2 brand new clios we had previously!!! Told the saleswoman who said as it was late she would sort out an appointment the following day to get it repaired after waiting a week we phoned to speak to the sales manager (or tried to-always with a customer!!!!!) so ended up going in!! So we arranged a day for it to be done, the day came car was taken....bought back to us n off they went. Only for us to later find that the job they had done looked like they had popped to halfords (no offence to halfords) purchased a touch up pen n dabbed it in as there was still this big crater there :mad: so i got on the phoned very unhappy still couldnt speak to the sales manager or service manager!!! Went in again and were told they would need the car for 2 days, but they would give us a courtesy car.....a JAZZ!! So we said is wouldnt be of any use as chris is a joiner and the jazz would not have sufficient space for his tools etc... so they managed then to suddenly come up with a civic for us to have as a courtesy car but only because i pointed out the fact that the car as it was brand new shouldnt have been damaged in the first place!!!!

Also plastic clips in the footwell anyone elses keep popping out??? Oh n thoses annoying lil plastic covers on the inside of the door handes!!!!

But i love my civic n wouldnt change it for the world!! :)

Jayne x

#65 ·
xYKMFx chris
Sorry to hear of this. I am appalled. The situation is simply not good enough. I trust you get the door sorted asap. I don't quite follow your mention of the plastic clips in the footwell and the plastic covers on the door handles.

I know it is hindsight, but I would never part with the balance etc until I have had an opportunity of checking the brand new vehicle over. Then take delivery if you are happy with it.

I bet your dealer would have moved faster if they were awaiting full payment.

I think most of the Honda dealers are good, if not very good, but there are some out there that leave a lot to be desired.

#66 ·
xYKMFx chris
Sorry to hear of this. I am appalled. The situation is simply not good enough. I trust you get the door sorted asap. I don't quite follow your mention of the plastic clips in the footwell and the plastic covers on the door handles.

I know it is hindsight, but I would never part with the balance etc until I have had an opportunity of checking the brand new vehicle over. Then take delivery if you are happy with it.

I bet your dealer would have moved faster if they were awaiting full payment.

I think most of the Honda dealers are good, if not very good, but there are some out there that leave a lot to be desired.
I found dragging the salesman over everyu inch of the car, works wonders at sorting problems as you find them.... :) (I took about an hour to collect my car from him, 10 minutes for the paperwork and 50 minutes inspecting ;-) ).

Tom

#67 ·
Well it took a while to get sorted properly but its sorted now. The problem was that we were part ex-ing our freelander but the buyer they had got for it wanted it before the new reg came out or would take £1000 off the part ex price!!! So we were driving a bloody hire car for a week, handed that back they dropped us at honda so if we refused it we wud av been carless!!!!

The plastic clips in the footwell are what hold the plastic dash trim at the sides of the footwell. The door things are behind the handle on the internal of the car - when u grasp the handle your knuckles touch it- thats the on;ly way i can explain sorry (they cover the screws in there)!!!

Jayne xx

#71 ·
Never sign for the car (like they like you too) before inspecting it fully, otherwise you will always be chasing them. After having a paint chip issue on collection I said I wanted to reject the car, this scared the life out of the sales manager who ended up giving me auto dim mirror, 1st service and accessories free of charge, as well as replacing the panel which lucky for them are painted at the factory or I would have walked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.