2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Known fault checklist (for new car collection)

Other 
88K views 87 replies 57 participants last post by  petrouil 
#1 ·
The most up to date version of this list will be found here, in the wiki. Please update it if you wish.

I'll try to keep this updated as time progresses.

On collection of a new car - here are some known faults that you may want to test/check in addition to the stuff you'd check on any new car:

Rear shocks
Early cars made a "clonking" noise from the rear, caused by a batch of faulty shocks. A test drive will highlight this, but then the dealer should have just checked it. Ask the dealer if it has the fault - that should throw him!

Fuel filler cap
The cap on some cars doesn't open when you pull the lever. Pull the lever (by the drivers feet) once to check the cap opens.

Radio problems
As you arrive in your old car, tune a station that is of marginal, but just-ok reception. When you get into the Civic, tune the same frequency and check the reception is acceptable. There have been reports of poor reception.

Cigarette lighter
Pull the cig lighter out a few times and make sure the socket doesn't come out too.

Gear stick
Check it's screwed on.

Handbrake light
Check it goes on and off with the handbrake.

Door fit
Check the doors are aligned correctly. The stripe down the middle part of the door should line up with the stripe on the front wing and the stripe on the rear door.

Headlights fouling bumper
Check the bottom of the headlights are not touching the bumper (may rub causing paint to come off).

Missing clips
Have a look at the centre console down at floor level near your feet. There should be 2 clips on each side - these can pop out and go missing.

Reversing aids
If you've had dealer-installed accessories fitted, check for scratches all around the rear-centre console, the centre console, the gearchange and inside the tailgate.

Rear lights
Fog light not connected, best to check all lights working.

Scratches on the dash
The dash is very shiny and very prone to getting scratched. Check under good lighting conditions the black plastic around the instrument console and the perspex instrument cover.

See less See more
#75 ·
I seem to recollect from a previous post I read a few weeks ago (but cannot trace in 'search') that the CTR's are not fitted with the wind deflectors as the CTR is lower to the ground and there is less space between the ground and underside of the car. The post I recollect added that a check on the CTR's in the showroom also revealed no wind deflectors fitted. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

#76 ·
I seem to recollect from a previous post I read a few weeks ago (but cannot trace in 'search') that the CTR's are not fitted with the wind deflectors as the CTR is lower to the ground and there is less space between the ground and underside of the car. The post I recollect added that a check on the CTR's in the showroom also revealed no wind deflectors fitted. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
Sorry but thats totally incorrect. I had to go through Honda HQ on this issue and they are supposed to be on the car. They are added at PDI (Post delivery Inspection) or was supposed to be. Sales in Alan Day in Enfield told me the same thing, but their parts department did confirm that they were missing. After all that they still flapped around and still wound nt fit them, even though they had 3 cars on there forecourt with them on. In then end I had them fitted in Harlow where they knew what they were talking about. Honda cars are supposed to be their product, it should nt be up to us to do the research and phoning around for this!!!! I have been very disappointed in Alan Day, they never also return any of your calls and only call you when they want your money! I wont be going back. I've even heard other customers there shouting at them while I was waiting for my car!

#80 ·
#84 ·
So far I am quite happy and satisfied to my 2010 CTR/GT-CBP, compare to my previous CTR/GT-MR. Suspension is much better now and the third gear issue was already sorted, hand break is spot on, no squeking noise, torque is more noticeable even at first gear, steering is more responsive as well as breaks, instrument light panel is synchronised to head light, tyre pressure alarm, HID light, head light washer, ipod, aux, and computer connection, and a car ejection seat for mother in law:roll:

#87 ·
Rear Shocks and clutch.

Had my Civic from new and noticed clonk from rear suspension from about 5000 miles and also the clutch pedal squeeking all the time. (really annoying in traffic around town). I read in the forum about the problems with the rear shocks so decided to take it to Hondas in Ruislip ready for a fight to get them sorted. They checked the car while I waited and told me I needed a new clutch master cylinder and one new shock on the drivers side as it was stiff. Really happy there was no fuss and all done under warranty.
Should they really change both shocks? Its only just done over 6000 miles now.

#88 ·
allright, im new here and im from greece, hi to all, i got a 2007 1.8 executive glass roof . I bought it on february 2009 . It just became 2 years old. From day 1 it had a problem with the glass roof mechanism. Many times it stuck while i pushed the open button, other times it stuck when it was supposed to close. I went to the place i bought it and they explained me that they had to open the whole inside , so i never fixed it. But now, 2 years after i bought it, i think i should take it there again and since my warranty for 3 years(the electronic one) is in less than 1 year to expire, i thought to fix it now, so if it has a problem i will have time to fix it again. Any suggestions on my problem? i mean, has anyone featured the same one with me ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.