2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Bloody fans!!

Electrics 
2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  painter 
#1 ·
Hi,

Searched the forums for an eternity but can't seem to find a solution to this one...

Just noticed over the last couple of days, radiator cooling fans come on as soon as the car is started and don't seem to go off at all when driving. They go off a minute or two after the car has stopped with ignition off.

Didn't do it a few days ago, all that's been done is an oil and filter change??

Before anyone also wisely advises it's due to the warmer weather, it does this from absolute cold start and never did before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

#7 ·
isn't it just your A/C kondensor fan? try shutting down your a/c and then it should stop ;).

Mine did the same for a long while.

Then i gave it a little A/C service and it stopped blowing, because it had lost 300g refrigerant, it blows earlier to cool ekstra down for the lost refrigerant:)

BTW, first post, i'm Martin from denmark.
And i am new here and i've got a White FK2 1,8 Sport 2006 model.:cool:

#8 ·
isn't it just your A/C kondensor fan? try shutting down your a/c and then it should stop ;).

Mine did the same for a long while.

Then i gave it a little A/C service and it stopped blowing, because it had lost 300g refrigerant, it blows earlier to cool ekstra down for the lost refrigerant:)

BTW, first post, i'm Martin from denmark.
And i am new here and i've got a White FK2 1,8 Sport 2006 model.:cool:
No we are talking about the radiator cooling fan which is not part of the air con, it is a common fault on the Civic 8th gen that the ect2 sensor on the rad goes haywire telling the ecu the engine is overheating even when cold.

#10 ·
Yes that is the air con system, the thread is about the radiator cooling fan which is controlled by a sensor at the base of the radiator the purpose of which is to stop the engine overheating in extremes of temperatures and is not controlled by the off button on the dash, as I have said its a fairly common fault on the civic and if not corrected runs the battery down and eventually burns the fan motor out.

#12 ·
I seem to be very late replying to anything I have ever posted on Cicinho - my most sincere apologies to all! I sorted this pretty ASAP with a new ect2 which was the issue. Badly corroded was the old unit so I think this would have sent the sensor values all over the place. Needless to say 3+ years on, no further issues with the fans ALWAYS being on! Top info as always Farqui ?

#14 ·
Apologies Farqui!! I had never noticed my email notifications were always going to my ‘junk’ folder so never got the kick up the ass to actually report my findings/ experience.

Nice to see this forum is still active as ever with some great posts being shared. Such a shame such forums don’t exist for other manufacturers vehicles. Knowledge and sharing of experiences is power in this game - I know all too well after owning my trusty 2.2 for now what seems an eternity. Don’t think I could ever bring myself to sell based heavily on the lack of support should a niggle ever arise! #teamcivinfo!

#15 ·
Topical reminder chaps. My FN2 kicks the fans in straight off, in fact due to the Exedy clutch and uprated flywheel I've learned to wait before pressing the start button to hear the fans kick in once the ignition is on, if you press is beforehand, then sometimes the starter won't engage (flywheel), but if the fans have kicked in, it always starts.

Looks like I have some trouble shooting ahead!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.