2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

All paint issues - tv airtime?

Paint 
63K views 112 replies 69 participants last post by  stoo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

PLEASE READ THSI CAREFULLY AND ONLY POST ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:

I have put up with some automobile problems in my time, but this paint issue is really getting on my nerves.

MY NHB CTR is looking very spotty and white only on the bonnett and wings. From previous posts I can see other people have the same issue. I believe that we have contacted watchdog, but no airtime has been established as of yet.

I live in Wales and we have a similar welsh program called "the Ferrett" which deals with welsh customer compliants. The people behind the program do seem to gain results when customers pose their problems.

I will be contacting them about the paint issue, and would like to have a back log of evidence before I present the issue.

SO PLEASE: If you have a problem with the paint chiping and HAVNT had a resolve from HONDA or your DEALER, please post a brief description, and Post a Photo of the affected area.

This will ensure I have an unedited issue log. This is not just for those Owners who are in Wales, but as it is a Welsh based program the more Welsh that add to this post the more likely we are to appear on the program, and gain their support to achieve a resolve.

Thanks all.

PLEASE COULD YOU ONLY POST YOUR PAINT PROBLEM WITH PICTURE ONLY!!!!!!

Discussion on this thread can be found HERE

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
As of yet I have not contacted honda or a dealer(still undecided on best course of action) but feel free to use my example.
As you say it flakes to easy but the bumper(plastic) has very little stone chips! so to me seems like a problem with adhesion between coats?
07 type s 1.8 14500miles A road, B road and town driving no motorway.
P.S. since this photo I attempted using honda touch up pen.......not very good!

Attachments

Reactions: Shoulin
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
07 NHB Type R GT (Mar 07). About 12K miles and bonnet is peppered with small chips.

Mentioned it to dealer he said no problem with paint must be my driving, when at body shop, having doors repaired under warranty for rust on top, the head of the body shop said he'd noticed the issue and it was definately a problem (but HUK won't admit it).

I agree - strange the bumpers seem more resiliant.

I'll post a pic when I have a decent one.

Here is the mail I got from HUK in June and here's what they said about paint..........

With regards to the specific paint query, Honda (UK) sells over 100,000 cars a year. We use leading paint application techniques and also high grade paint for all of our vehicles.
The percentage of paint related complaints are nominal; this is essential to a successful manufacturer and is frequently reflected in a range of motoring magazines and surveys. Such information is used by our Product Planning department in conjunction with customer clinics in order that our models reflect the requirements for both our customers and the current market.

So I'm wondering if anything has changed.

#5 ·
PLEASE COULD YOU ONLY POST YOUR PAINT PROBLEM WITH PICTURE ONLY!!!!!!

It has to be in the format that ITV have asked for. :eek:

If you have not posted you paint problems, could you kindly remove you post - Many Thanks

#7 ·
A close up of my bonnet... you can see where I tried the honda touch up brush, tried a cocktail stick first but with so many and so large it was a losing battle so attacked it with the honda brush:mad: now have stone chips on my stone chips:rolleyes:

Attachments

#8 ·
As requested,

here is a copy of my post in another thread
This is a March 2007 Type R with 12K on the clock. The photo's were taken in October 2008.

The FN2 has always been bad for stone chips. My bonnet and front bumper is full of the little nicks to the paint

But in the last month I've found 5 very large chips, on the door, wing, bonnet, roof and even the rear spoiler

I know I'm picky, but its really pi**ing me off
. I guess I'm going to have to dry and fill them, but its still going to look crap.
I have always tried to look after my car, and have generally felt proud when it comes trade in time, becuase my car will one of the best on their forecourt. Hopefully allowing me to get top dollar for it as well.

Any rant over and a few pics of the problem

The sort of normal chips I have come to expect.

The worst one on the wing

Large one on the bonnet,

Some one close up

Even on the side of the rear spoiler

#9 ·
Sadly I've just spent the last few months touching up the majority of my bad stone chips so that they don't start to rust, but here's a couple of my two main issues.

Stone chips - all the small white specs are stone chips.

Paint Quality - orange peel paint finish very poor all round.

#10 ·
I have heard from a friend who works as a paint sprayer, that hondas have a very soft paint and laquer, which means paint can chip and sometimes seem to flake off.
I bought a ctr (54 plate) and had the bonnet resprayed before pick up last january and done around 8000 miles since and the bonnet is chipped badly again. Hope this helps you guys

#11 ·
Here's my contribution to the thread; below are three photos of the chips i've got to bonnet along with a photo roughly highlighting their locations.

My Tangerine Orange Type S GT is a 58 plate and just over 3 months old and i've done a little over 3,000 miles in this time.

I posted here at the following link when the first two happened:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-f...dgates-well-they-kinda-ask-21.html#post301744 (hope that works).

Having only just washed the car and there being no marks, i took a short, non aggressive drive and it was on this specific journey that the two marks occurred. Since this time, a third has appeared.

Have been wishing to post on this thread for a short while now but only just today got round to washing the car and being able to photograph - the pictures are not brilliant i'm afraid. There is another chip on the front bumper too, of which there is no photo here; it is close to the number plate surround so luckily quite well hidden.

Thanks for taking this up on our behalves and i hope this can be resolved in our favour. If there is anything else you need from me please let me know.

Attachments

#13 ·
Here is my :

The 3 chips are inside 6 cm diameter circle . The dark chips was "repaired" with the Honda paint repairer "pen".

#14 ·
Type R GT Milano Red Paint Chips!

Here are some pics. of chips to my wifes car bonnet after just 12 months, there are literally hundreds of tiny chips. Surely this cannot be an acceptable standard of manufacture. I travel the same route with my car (Peugeot) and have picked up no chips in the same period.

Attachments

#15 ·
I took My Car to Honda De Vries Stockton on Friday as advised by Honda Uk they carried out a paint test and advised me that the paintwork on my car is definatly to factory standard. I advised the manager thats the problem its really weak the guy was helpfull and gave me his no and details to pass on to Honda UK to confirm he was happy to arrange to have the bonnet and wings sprayed but it has to be organised by Honda Uk to pay for the work. This is going to be our main problem folks I see theres an add in Auto Express magazine this week showing the forum and this topic we need to all fight this guys its an absolute Joke.

Cheers Dekka

#18 · (Edited)
Would just like to say I had a June 04 EP3 in cosmic and never had any problems with stone chips, so this says to me what ever Honda changed on the paint for the new Civic is the problem. I also doubt it is because of water based paints has most manufacters have been using these since around 2000 and the fact they still use solvent based lacquer

#20 · (Edited)
My friend has got a 2004 ep2 Milano Red and his bonnet covered by (too) many stone chips , and my other friend has got a 2008 taffeta white fd1 and he has stone chips too but only on the plastic parts.

Reactions: hondactr
#21 · (Edited)
Reading and viewing pics, I must to say that I'm not alone:rolleyes:
Anyway, I have painted my bonnet once since September 2007 due to stone chips. Paint job made by honda is really poor. Right now the paint job looks like should be done before in Swindon.

#29 ·
I'm the lucky man. I have paintshop at work :D I have had moved the bonnet from the car by my self and the rest made the guys from paintshop.

#23 ·
OK, guys, I've got the very same problem. Painted my bonnet twice (in 9 months) because Honda dealer didn't fit the color right first time. Second time was free and it turned out to be just great (under street lights and so on). Even pros said the paint job is awesome.
So I've been in Ditec paint protection center recently and had a seat & look at a 1 month old Infinity FX35. The paint on it is even worse!!! 3 chips already and 1 of them is HUGE. All that situation on the paint of newer cars is terrible. They say Lexus paint is the same cr*p. My friend's Toyota has done like 2000 km and it has LOTS of chips too :(. The other guys new BMW 3er has some too...

#24 ·
Dealer would not cover chips under warranty, as i did not buy the car from a Honda dealer, its difficult for me to make them meet me half way.

The service manager did concur many customers had problems with stone chips and confirmed the car does chip very easily. He put this down the the shape of the car. He also told me customers was still having problems with stone chips after a respray.

£500 was quoted for respray of bonnet, wings and bumper.

#25 ·
Mine is 3 years old now and is absolutely fine. It has two or three small chips but nothing like some of the photos posted on here. When I bought the car the dealer sold me a "Total protection" package to seal the paint. That may have helped, but it is impossible to say without having bought two identical cars and protected one and not the other.

#26 ·
If you drive on roads that have little or no stones then you will be fine. If like the majority of UK drivers you suffer from lazy road repairers or the latest craze of leaving behind 'loose chippings' then you will suffer.

They put out the signs saying 'loose chippings' but van drivers and the like pay no attention.

Until the stones have dispersed we will suffer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.