2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Improvements for the next model year

HUK 
92K views 256 replies 118 participants last post by  Bog 
#1 ·
Not faults, but irritations that would be nice fixed for the next MY:

AUX in
The Jazz has somewhere for your mp3 player - why not the Civic?

Manual dash brightness
A light sensor to automatically adjust the brightness would be nice.

Window off switch
Should leave the windows controllable by the driver.

Windows up with key fob button press
Just like the VAG cars.

Electric mirrors
Option to have them move in and out with the door locks.

Bassworks
Should be adjustable by the owner.

Any others?

See less See more
#28 ·
It could always be worse, the Civic is a sort of half way house, the new Passat has a key which doubles as the start button, you insert the key into the dash and push it to start............. except you have to actually depress the clutch and then push the key in to get it to start. Imagine a boiling hot day, you just wanna get the AC on, you have to climb in to the furnace to do it.

#29 ·
on bmws you have to do a clutch thing to lol

but the civic key is so TAK its vile and its the first thing you come into contact with, with a car

#31 ·
sco77harris said:
on bmws you have to do a clutch thing to lol

but the civic key is so TAK its vile and its the first thing you come into contact with, with a car
:? What's wrong with the key? It looks perfectly normal and adequate to me! :(

I am comparing it to a ford key at the moment, and the civic's wins. I persoanlly cannot see the point in overdesigning something for design's sake. Remeber with good desigh, form follows function.

#34 ·
Judging by the posts here, a Quality Assurance department/regime that does its job would be a good start!

On a more serious note:

A decent auto box for the diesel models
Tailgate motorised closure (just to lock it down) as Mercedes estates
Resite hands free/voice control microphone to in front of driver (top of steering column?)

#35 ·
Keyless smart entry, like on the Lexus. It's great, you approach the car, the courtesy lights come on, and you just touch the inside of the door handle and the door is unlocked.

Then get in, press the start button (again, with the clutch depressed if manual, or foot on the brake and in neutral on my auto - there's a very good point to this, SAFETY- or more probably, anti-litigation) and hey presto, it starts.

Not once has the key left my pocket.

Sorry, but putting the key in the ignition and then pressing the start button is (IMO) a really dumb, pointless thing.

#36 ·
It is not a practical or time saving thing in anyway, and I don't think honda market it as such. It just feels better to start the car with a big red button that to turn a key. And that's supposed to be what the Civic is all about. Making you feel good and enjoy using the car.

Yes, I know it takes slightly longer this way, but I certainly enjoy getting in, turning the key, pausing, pressing red button. It just feels good. That's why it's there.

#38 ·
a button t o stop people changing the radio

and a locable glove box

#39 ·
On/off switch for the luggage compartment light.
Lockable glovebox
Customer choice between spare wheel and TRK system as no cost option.

#40 ·
I had a couple of thoughts...

A folding key: the current one looks like something from the eighties and it stuck in my leg earlier in the week.
A more practical plastic used on the dashboard: the uncleanable and scratch prone plastic currently used is rubbish.
Lights on the stereo, I can't see it in the dark! Better standard speakers would be nice too.

I'd also echo some points made by others, such as audible central locking confirmation and "follow me home" headlights.

I then thought that, no, I don't want to see a single addition or improvement on the next model, as I don't want future buyers to get something as standard that I didn't! Selfish? Me? Surely not... :wink:

#41 ·
Auto dipping wing mirrors when you go into reverse (I had this on a Lexus LS430). It tilts the mirror and shows the kerb/rear tyre position. Saves you scuffing the kerb and reverts to pre-set position (or can be switched off).

Auto dimming of internal rear view mirror (and why not wing mirrors as well?).

Sou'wester, for opening the boot when it's raining :!:

#80 ·
My wife says she would prefer a rear wiper. Haven't tried Rain-x yet, however, interestingly when I test drove the car and mentioned the lack of a rear screen wiper, the salesman said the rearscreen was coated in a special gel which took the water away. Didn't notice that in the handbook.:rolleyes:

#43 ·
a rear wiper would completely ruin the looks and sweeping shape of the rear. Apply some rain-x after washing the car works great, much tidyer than a wiper.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be useful at times, but it would be in keeping with the car's smooth lines

#51 ·
Bungle

Tried that 'Rainex' stuff on the motor several times and I'm not impressed. :cry:

Reckon a wiper would fit in nicely if it was just laid into that 'wing' thing and it would (should) work!!!
A rear wiper would fit in the rear spoiler but may have a hard time to be freed from ice in the morning.. Would consume a big proportion of de-icer spray can.
But I feel the absence of a rear wiper in traffic and rainy conditions. I believe that function should sometimes override aesthetics.

Additionally, an internal adjustable back support in the front seats. Even my former 1993 Fiat Tempra had it in the driver's seat...

Folding mirrors on reverse is a very good and useful item too...

#45 ·
Have used Rainex for years with great results - windows & mirrors. Apply, let dry to a haze and remove with a non smearing paper towel such a Tork. Repeat and polish off thoroughly using 2 clean pieces of clean paper towel. Best not to use if the weather is at all humid since it inhibits drying.
Lasts for ages, makes recleaning a doddle and great on the house windows.

#46 ·
Charles_Harding said:
Bungle

Tried that 'Rainex' stuff on the motor several times and I'm not impressed. :cry:

Reckon a wiper would fit in nicely if it was just laid into that 'wing' thing and it would (should) work!!!
I'm supprised than rain-x didn't work for you. That's a shame, I really like, and it works just as well on my father's Accord. oes it expire?

I would be concerned about the wipper resting on the rear lip. Honda claim it is there for aerodynamic reasons. Would a wiper spoil the airflow over it and detract from the effectivness of the spoiler (yes I know spoilers are there to spoil airflow, but I'm sure it is careful spoiling!).

But I 100% agree that it would be handy in heavy traffcic when the water tends to sit on the back window. I'm happy with the compromise.

#47 ·
As a cheapskate, and its a company car anyhow, I just waxed all of my windows (bar the front screen) and found it really effective.

Rain X is better, suprised that anyone has had bad results with it

#48 ·
Martin said:
As a cheapskate, and its a company car anyhow, I just waxed all of my windows (bar the front screen) and found it really effective.

Rain X is better, suprised that anyone has had bad results with it
I do the same on the plastc lower rear window, it sems to work ok.

#53 · (Edited)
Maybe kpow99 has a 2007 car tucker , or maybe they just need to check the how section like you pointed out .
Ive thoght of a item i want on my next car , a quick warm up heater(not 10-15 mins later when im ready to get out of the car ;)) and maybe a quick clear heated front windscreen would be nice ;) why has none done the heated frount windscren apart from fords ??? the rear ones on most cars so why not the front one too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.