Music CD Player Clicks - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th April 2009, 12:36 Thread Starter

Unhappy CD Player Clicks

As I'm sure many of you do too, I've got a bunch of home cooked MP3 CDRs in the car which I listen to daily. I first noticed a month or so back that under braking or going down hill I could hear the CD clicking in the drive. As the weight shifted forward, it was like the CD moved slightly and was just catching something making a tick, tick, tick sound. Some more weeks passed and I started noticed this tick tick ticking from the CD even when the car was flat. What's odd is that it seems to only be triggered by one or two albums on the CD. Other CDs do it too, but also generally only on one or two albums and not the whole disk.

Other things of note... It never happens when I start a journey, seems to be after about 30 minutes of driving, so I wonder if it's related to heat. Is the CD warping ever so slightly and just catching the laser? That would sort of explain why only certain places in the CD cause it. It's become a problem anyway as twice now it has caused the CD player to stop trying to play the disk completely. The screen where the song title is displayed goes completely blank, and there's no more sounds from the slot. The controls still work though, so I can always seek to a different folder on the disk and it starts working again.

Has anyone else had this? Is it just a dodgey couple of CDRs, or is it a problem with the CD player getting warm causing the CD to warp slightly?

Sadly, as a 55 plate it has recently left the manufacturers warranty period, so any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th April 2009, 12:53
Supporter

What's it like with a shop bought CD albumn. ??
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th April 2009, 13:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'm not sure yet. I've got a load in the car so will probably find out Tuesday as it's my drive to work that seems to do it. Was just curious in the mean time if anyone else has experienced this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th April 2009, 13:19
Supporter

If they play without any problems, there won't be anything wrong with the player.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10th April 2009, 14:13
Supporter

I've had this problem aswell, exactly as you have described and also with CD-Rs, not tried it with a proper CD yet. Any help on this would be appreciated as my car goes out of warranty in june.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th April 2009, 09:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

On the drive in to work this morning I had a normal, bought audio CD on and the same thing happened. Not happy.

Am I just going to have to take it to Honda and pay unforeseen amounts of money for them to have a look at it?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 14th April 2009, 23:08
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
ouch!

I was hoping (as I guess JTL was) that a bought CD wouldn't click - pointing to the issue being the CDR

not sure where to go from here, sorry

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page