2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Lights not flashing on lock / unlock

Lights 
41K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Civic-man 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I've noticed recently when I lock and unlock my doors on my civic using the remote on the key, the indicator lights haven't been flashing. I can still hear the doors lock and unlock. I check all the doors and boot and they all get locked and unlocked when I press the buttons on the key. It's just irritating me and I would like to fix it.

Can any of you help?

Many thanks

#7 ·
have you tried unlocking the car with the key ( not the remote ) to see if the alarm still goes off when you open the door ?

a place to start would be the bonnet switch, if that's not working the car will lock but the alarm isn't activated ( no flashing indicators )
the bonnet switch is within the bonnet catch you can just about see it from above

#10 · (Edited)
the tricky bit is getting to the switch or at least getting to the switch wiring

a simple way to check if the switch is working is to unplug it ( black and green wires going to a plug / socket coming from the switch ) and if i have done my home work properly once the switch is unplugged ( open circuit ) it should behave as if the bonnet is closed

if the alarm now activates ( flashes the indicators ) it means the switch is on all the time ( short circuit ) when you close the bonnet the switch should be open circuit this could be something as simple as the bonnet not pressing the switch closed properly or the switch is buggered

if this works you could leave the switch unplugged until you fix it, the alarm will think the bonnet is closed even when it is open but the alarm will still work for the rest of the car

a very simple way to check the switch in place is to get a thin screwdriver and push the switch closed, you should hear a light click as the switch closes
once you close the switch lock the car with the remote ( all doors and boot should be closed ) if the indicators flash your problem is the bonnet catch not closing the switch which could be the leaf spring is bent out of shape

if nothing happens unplug the switch and see if that works

#15 ·
looking at the diagram it doesn't look like they sell the switch separately but the switch is just a common micro switch and can be bought from quite a few places
what you are looking for is something like this

V-152-1C25 | SPDT-NO/NC Hinge Lever Microswitch, 15 A @ 250 V ac | Omron

i havn't had a good look at the bonnet switch i'm not sure how it is fixed into place but it should be easy enough to replace

#18 ·
I had a Honda civic 2017 touring, when I lock my car no flasing light but when I unlock it, it flashes. I verified the hood latch first but there was no problem, all doors are closed and the trunk also. I was deseperate at the beginning. Then, well the solution was just:
1- press on the start button twice (no press on brakes, don't turn on the engine).
2- press on the lock button on the key fob 5 times.
3- press on the lock button on the driver door (near the windshield control button) 5 times also.
I guess that the configuration if the alarm was set off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.