Steering Stiff Steering? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th December 2009, 17:03 Thread Starter

Car: 2013 1.8 Crystal Black EX
Stiff Steering?

Has anybody come across their power steering going stiff? Not horribly stiff as such, but more so than usual ?

Last week I was turning around in a drive and the normally feather light steering went stiff for about 3 seconds then went back to normal. Thought it was a bit odd but thought no more of it.

This morning then, it was stiff again. Put it down to the cold, but it was the same all the way to work, and back again.

I haven't gotten around to checking my tyre pressures yet, I can't find my gauge at the moment. I'm loathe to go back to the dealer and have them tell me it's nothing and me look like an idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th December 2009, 17:50
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osarkon View Post
Has anybody come across their power steering going stiff? Not horribly stiff as such, but more so than usual ?

Last week I was turning around in a drive and the normally feather light steering went stiff for about 3 seconds then went back to normal. Thought it was a bit odd but thought no more of it.

This morning then, it was stiff again. Put it down to the cold, but it was the same all the way to work, and back again.

I haven't gotten around to checking my tyre pressures yet, I can't find my gauge at the moment. I'm loathe to go back to the dealer and have them tell me it's nothing and me look like an idiot.
Probably (IMHO) tyre pressure - so check that a.s.a.p - Civics are very sensitive to tyre pressure ...

Of course, it just could be the steering servo, which is electric ! - so, if tyre pressures are fine, to the dealer right away and tell them that you think the servo has an intermittent failure ...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th December 2009, 22:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hm...checked tyre pressure just now, they're all fine....

If the servo is faulty, is it likely to get worse? At the moment I think I'm going to get fobbed off with it being fine, the difference is only noticeable because I drive the car daily and I don't think the dealer is going to notice.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 21:16
Supporter

Garage
I would get it checked by a dealer straight away, see item 4 in this post

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/103197-post1.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 21:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Damn thing's back to normal again today, steering's fine again. Going to have to wait until it gets worse I think.

Sod's law ey.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th April 2011, 08:14

Car: silver ctr with rage alloys
my steering is real stiff mate ,someone told me it could be your brake caliper is sticking ,if it sticks on one side the car is real stiff to turn the oposite way

hope this helps mate ,its cheaper than taking it back to the stealers i mean dealers ,so just check that ,thats saying your tyre pressures are fine mate

let us know how you get on
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th April 2011, 08:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The problem never came back oddly enough.

Though I had to get my rear disks and pads changed not long after the problem - they were completely worn to the metal. Perhaps it was in someway related?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2011, 12:04

I have Honda civic 2003 size 1.6 and I had problem 6 months ago, where my power steering wheel got really hard(stiff) when I tried to park in between two cars, and when I drove the next day then it was fine and I never faced problem again for nearly 6 months now, drove around 1000 miles after that.
But yesterday I faced the same problem when I tried to park my car, and checked this morning if it is fine as it was before, and it steers as normal.

I checked the power steering fluid and it is there till maximum level (But I have not changed the oil since I bought the car in april this year)

Please help me on this. what could be the problem? if you can please email your response also to [email protected]

Advance thanks for your help
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2011, 17:35

Car: Civic Sport Plus
I can't really help you but my 7th gen civic from 2003 has electric assisted power steering (hence the eps light on the dashboard) and the only thing that would help in such case would be to turn off the car and start it again.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th November 2011, 10:07

Thanks for your help

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page