Trim Sticking Panoramic Roof Blind - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10th December 2009, 22:50 Thread Starter

Car: 2017 SR CVT
Sticking Panoramic Roof Blind

Can anyone offer a suggestion for my new problem with the sun blind under the panoramic glass roof?

When I try to open the blind to allow daylight in, the motor whirls but the front blind does not move. Then all of a sudden it twangs into positon and then finishes opening as normal.

It is like somthing is holding it back but only when the elastic band pulling it has stretched far enough does it jump 18 inches in one go to catch up with the back blind. When closing the blind it works smoothly.

The problem occurs whether the blind starts only half closed or fully closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 11th December 2009, 08:32
Supporter

Car: Golf GTI
Heard of this problem from others on here, if your car's under warranty, best take it into the dealers.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 14:59

I had the same problem, took it to the dealer and got it fixed in 15 min, not sure what they actully did..

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 16:14
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 21:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I have spoken with my dealer who says it is an all day job as the roof lining has to come out. It is booked in for December 30th. However as they will most likely have to contact Honda for parts and/or authority to repair it, it will probably have to be booked in for a second whole day in the new year.

These Civic problems go on and on. I've just had all my leaking rear lights replaced. I really thought that when I changed to Honda I was buying a reliable car. It is very disappointing.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 23:37

my dealer said the same thing but when I got there they said it wasn't the case and got it fixed in 15 min like I said...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 30th December 2009, 22:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

My dealer has been trying to contact Honda for instructions as to what may be needed before dismantling the blinds. Honda are not answering phones today so car will go in again once dealer has spoken with Honda and has parts and instructions.

Dealer says this is a very unusual problem and not heard of blinds snapping like mine do although the problem is all over this forum. I just hope Honda have heard of the problem and can advise.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 30th December 2009, 22:38
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
My dealer has been trying to contact Honda for instructions as to what may be needed before dismantling the blinds. Honda are not answering phones today so car will go in again once dealer has spoken with Honda and has parts and instructions.

Dealer says this is a very unusual problem and not heard of blinds snapping like mine do although the problem is all over this forum. I just hope Honda have heard of the problem and can advise.
There are a few members here who have had the problem, but it does not seem to be a very common issue, and not many Civics have the roof blinds, so I would not think that it is improbable that this is the first case your dealer is seeing.

But, I would think Honda have hear of it and can advise.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 13th February 2010, 17:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

My car was at the dealers for 3 days to fix the faulty roof blind. Although it was caused by a faulty spring this spring comes factory joined onto the blind. I have therefore had to have a complete new blind replacement. It took the best part of a day for the technician to install it.

It does now work Ok although I can see evidence of the work involved. For example the front seat belt covers had to be removed. The drivers seat belt part that swivels as the belt is pulled has disappeared up behind the cover somewhere. As a result the belt does not pull smoothly and is jammed in one height position. The passender cover is just not on properly and has a gap down one side. I will probably try and fix these small things myself rather than take it back to the dealer.

Considering in two years I never used the blind more than 12 times it does not make Honda build quality look very good.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th March 2010, 16:28
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type-S GT 2.2 black
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
Can anyone offer a suggestion for my new problem with the sun blind under the panoramic glass roof?

When I try to open the blind to allow daylight in, the motor whirls but the front blind does not move. Then all of a sudden it twangs into positon and then finishes opening as normal.

It is like somthing is holding it back but only when the elastic band pulling it has stretched far enough does it jump 18 inches in one go to catch up with the back blind. When closing the blind it works smoothly.

The problem occurs whether the blind starts only half closed or fully closed.

I have the exact problem.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th August 2010, 15:19

Send a message via MSN to parauk
front roof blind not opening

I have had the same problem just started.
the front roof blind sticks when opening.
It works fine once sun has been on it and it is warm
car is still under warranty so took it to dealers and was told there is a known problem and car is booked in for the work to be done and new part ordered from honda
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th August 2010, 19:46
Supporter

Tis nothing but a 5p spring catch and a member on here had the same problem.
His Dealer found a way of getting to it, without removing the whole roof lining, so it was nothing like a full day job.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 19th August 2010, 22:05

more than likely the people who have had 5 min fixes will have problems further down the line i am affraid. the problem lies in the shoes that guide the blinds allong the runners. this involves a full strip down of the blind unit and is very time consuming, let alone the ammount of trims that need stripping and re-fitting. its a nightmare of a job (i have to fix the things).
Thanks to beefy_634 from:
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th August 2010, 11:37

yes that is my feeling about the problem, It is not costing me any thing as it is being done under waranty and Howards motors of weston s mare looked up the problem on the computer and said it was a known problem and they would order the parts and it would be fixed with no charge to myself.
They said it would be a 4 hr job due to every thing you mentioned Beefy
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 20th August 2010, 14:58
Foglight Covers FORSALE

If these parts are plastic, then silicone spray on the runner may help. Has a similar problem on my last car with the sliding glass roof. It would hardly open, so sprayed it with silicone spray and was as smooth as silk.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 1st September 2010, 18:08

blind now fixed under honda warranty

car went into dealers today to have new blind runners fitted.
all done free of charge under warranty as honda know there is a problem and has a fix for it.
very pleased with the work, no sign of damage to roof liner,(and i have inspected it very closely) you would not know any one had done any work on it, The funny thing is while i waited the two weeks for it to go into the dealers i noticed the front blind would not open when it was overcast and temp lower, but as soon as sun came up and it warmed up it worked with out any problem at all
the whole job took 4 hours from me dropping off car to picking it up again
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2012, 15:12

Car: 2007(57), 1.8, 5dr, Civic ES
Outside Warranty

Hi all,

My wife purchased her Civic (2007) in September 2011 from Honda.
The panoramic roof (front) does not open anymore (only the back part opens), it gets part of the way and gets stuck.
Sent it into Honda to get checked they said its the "Shoes" which are causing the problem.

70311-SMG-E01, SHOE, R. BLIND PUSH
70312-SMG-E01, SHOE, R. BLIND PULL
70316-SMG-E01, SHOE, L. BLIND PUSH
70317-SMG-E01, SHOE L. BLIND PULL

Even thou I purchased the extended 3 years warranty, Honda said its not covered and I have to pay for it 100 for the parts and 360 for the labour!!
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2012, 15:16
Foglight Covers FORSALE

Extra warrenty, not worth the paper it's printed on. I would make them refund the warrenty then use the money to get it fixed and you will still have change.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 9th October 2012, 12:04

Well I've now had my Civic 2.2 CTDI ES for a month and here comes another fault.

I am experiencing the exact same problem. At night or early morning when it is cold the front blind will stick closed then all of a sudden ping back to half way and gladly follow the motor back (rear blind is fine)

First time this happened I was driving down a country road at night and decided to let the stars in,,,, holly ***** I nearly had a heart attack hearing the sound, I thought I had hit something.

Well my car is in with the local car supermarket this Friday (Hilton Garage) to get a faulty speedo replaced as I am getting the 888 fault and now the blind will need looking at! Who said Jap cars were reliable?
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 9th October 2012, 12:12
Supporter

If this is a known fault then it should be covered, not had any trouble with mine as yet but will talk to the service manager when it goes in for next service & see what he has to say about it.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page