Engine Engine juddering when accelerating... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th December 2009, 15:01 Thread Starter
Supporter

Engine juddering when accelerating...

Just noticed this morning that my 1.8 sport has developed a slight judder each time I try to accelerate. Its most noticeable in first and second gear while building up revs. The strange thing is that I was on my way to the dealer to complain about the crashy suspension.

In anycase the mechanic I spoke with said that it is a known problem, and that it is solvable with a simple software update!!! Has anyone heard of or experienced this problem? Also acknowledged that the suspension problem is also well known. The car's been booked in for january to get the update and the suspension sorted (I guess they'll just change out the bump stops or something?)

PS. My car is a 5 door 1.8 Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2009, 18:06

Honda are constantly delivering software updates, so its no surprise that this is the fix, If not in warranty expect a bill for around £80 this is what ours cost!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2009, 18:14
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
What year is your car from?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2009, 01:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

It's a 2008MY. So it's still under warranty. I'm still rather suspicious of the so-called software update. I'm beginning to think the problem is a slipping clutch. I have never had this problem on previous cars so I can't be sure.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2009, 07:55
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextergregor View Post
It's a 2008MY. So it's still under warranty. I'm still rather suspicious of the so-called software update. I'm beginning to think the problem is a slipping clutch. I have never had this problem on previous cars so I can't be sure.
Mine is an 07. I would have thought that more of us would have noticed the problem if the cure is a software update.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2009, 08:32
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
I have this problem but I have found it only happens when damp and generally clears up by January ( and no I am not being sarcastic). I have no idea what the problems is but it would be interesting to see what my dealer says when it goes in for it's second service after Christmas.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2009, 09:51

Car: 2009 2.2 5 door, Blue
Get the dealership to check the clutch. you are correct one of the signs of a slipping clutch is the juddering you describe. A software update for this type of fault sounds highly unlikely.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th December 2009, 13:25

Car: Accord 2.0 i-Vtec+ 1.4 i-DSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybs View Post
Get the dealership to check the clutch. you are correct one of the signs of a slipping clutch is the juddering you describe. A software update for this type of fault sounds highly unlikely.
I agree completely.
Cause of the problem is to be searched in the clutch or maybe a faulty throttlemotor or sensors on the intake (pressure, airflow).
It's the first time a softwareupdate is mentioned for this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 29th December 2009, 20:49
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 SE Blueish Silver
Software update for a slipping clutch..........
What planet are these people from?????
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 7th January 2010, 23:02 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

A belated happy new year to everyone. I finally took the car to the dealer for the "software update" that would supposedly put an end to the juddering. And surprise, IT WORKED (touch wood). Its still early days yet, but I haven't noticed the judder for 3 days now. Hope its really solved.

The other problem I had with the crashy suspension seems also to have been solved. The chief technician I spoke with said they just had to replace the "rubber thingies" (bump stops???) sitting above the shock absorbers' piston and sleeve assembly. Also said Honda's come up with a modified method of mounting/setting up the bump stops to prevent it happening again. Anyways, the suspension is still overly firm but seems to have lost the crashy ride (touch wood again).

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that thats the end of it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 08:50

Car: 2006 1.8 EX
Those software updates ar mistical things... Wondering is it possible to update not at honda center, because if we are talking about my local dealer - prices of everything are more than dramatic...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 16:29
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 5 Door Royal Blue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextergregor View Post
Just noticed this morning that my 1.8 sport has developed a slight judder each time I try to accelerate. Its most noticeable in first and second gear while building up revs. The strange thing is that I was on my way to the dealer to complain about the crashy suspension.

In anycase the mechanic I spoke with said that it is a known problem, and that it is solvable with a simple software update!!!

PS. My car is a 5 door 1.8 Sport
My 1.8 5 door is suffering the same as yours and I have only just come across your thread!

Could you fill me in with everything what they did so i can go to my Honda Dealership and try to get them to do the same...any idea of price not in warranty...

Thanks
Mike
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 18:19
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,570 Posts
Garage
i had the same problem a month after owning the civic, when i tried to pull off in first gear it would judder, i took it back to the motorhouse the mechanic test drove it on his own, he came back to me and says couldn't find a problem i said let me drive guess what it didn't do it, i wonder if they did the software update, 5 months later still no problems with judder.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 21:31
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Car: V'9 STI
Send a message via MSN to Scotty182
Exclamation

Could be an uneven or SLIGHTLY loose flywheel or if the flywheel is damaged or on its way out. very common on thrashed cars or cars with slipping clutches!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 23:11 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3011 View Post
My 1.8 5 door is suffering the same as yours and I have only just come across your thread!

Could you fill me in with everything what they did so i can go to my Honda Dealership and try to get them to do the same...any idea of price not in warranty...

Thanks
Mike
The mechanic at the dealers claimed they performed a software update but didn't give any specifics. Everything seemed ok, but a few days later the problem was back. About a week later though, the juddering was gone. Here's what I think happened:

Just before I initially noticed the problem, I'd purchased fuel at a Shell service station which I don't normally use. I suspect the fuel was dirty (possibly got the dregs of the reservoir) and ended up clogging the fuel line (maybe the injection system). I eventually used up the fuel and refilled the tank at the bp service station I usually use and voilŗ! Problem solved.

That's my theory. Cos I never had a repeat of the problem after the refill.
Hope this helps.

PS the software update didn't cost a thing. In any case the car was still under warranty.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th July 2010, 23:35

Hey everyone, i'm suprised a few of you guys are facing the same issue.

My car just started doing that 2 months back give or take and the only time the juddering sound goes away is when the car is fully warm (if that makes sense). Other than that normally, when i just start up the car and take off on 1st gear it makes that sound bloody annoying! I thought it would had something to do with the clutch not software very unusual. What do you think i should do bring it back to the dealers? any suggestions.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page