Transmission Clutch again (warrants own thread) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th December 2009, 19:30 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 '07' 2.2 5 door
Clutch again (warrants own thread)

Hi all, i've previously posted in the clutch failure thread - but since then........well i'll tell the full story....grab a cuppa.

Ok, bought the car in Mid October - everything was spot on minus the squeeky clutch which i read about (which allowed some bartering at sale) so once the car was ours - the begining of November we booked the car in at Sunderland (Springfield) Honda and they confirmed that the clutch pedal should be changed under warranty - as so was......champion.

Upon leaving the dealership the pedal felt AWESOME - so much more responsive to the push of my foot ETC but after 300miles or so the clutch began slipping in 5/6th only doing 60 when overtaking. rang Honda - gave details and got "yeah....750.", i asked about warranty work and athe fact the pedal had just been done and....."yeah 450 for labour and we'll send pictures to Honda UK to decide, if they dont think its a fault you'll need to pay the 450 for labour plus the 750 if you choose to have it fixed".......flippin' marvelous.....so with Christmas coming up i thought i'd not use the turbo on the car and drive like a 'mega miller' and use as little load on the engine as possible....everything has been fine.

until tonight.

turned the car over, got straight on the motorway and upto speed coming home from work hit cruise at 67mph (JUST under 2k revs) and sat there on the level motorway for 2/3 miles then i noticed the revs slipping up and down (only 2/300 revs but still noticeable) so i slowed to 50 and crawled home - when getting into my town with lights/roundabouts and having to come up/down gears i noticed the clutch is frankly.......like a sponge, it's going into gears fine enough and pulling but the second it gets over 2k it starts slipping - i'm going to Sunderland Honda tomorrow to plead my case with the 'i'm your friend/sympathy attitude' as i have NOWHERE near 750 to pay out. 3/4 of a tank to last me and no cash in the bank.

so to question/summarise;

1. Can changing a clutch pedal affect the ware of the clutch?
2. How would you approach Honda?
3. What you think the chances are of being sorted with warranty as i had NO problems with the car before having the clutch pedal done)
4. Do you have to pay for insurance/use of Courtesy car with Honda as like i've said above - the last of my money (until the 22nd) is in my tank...
(ford used to give me a car free with a full tank and asked i returned it with a full tank)

any comments/reccomdenations MORE than welcome and appreciated.

car has done 80k when i got it from a mature fellow so not abused, fHsh....

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th December 2009, 19:47
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Perhaps the clutch pedal position switch hasn't been set correctly when the parts were replaced.

Slipping clutch - Civinfo Wiki
Thanks to Dimplyred from:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th December 2009, 19:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

if it is the above, could i claim a new clutch from Honda since i had NO problems before taking the car in?

forgot to mention - when i rang Honda i was working downsouth and did take the car into another dealer but they said, and i quote "we wont touch another dealers dirty work i'm afraid" - hence the phonecall to Sunderland

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 28th December 2009, 20:01
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
I think you're best sticking to your original plan tomorrow and remain calm when you visit the dealer. Politely ask them if they are aware of the Honda service bulletin relating to this problem.

If they aren't then tell them it's service bulletin number 1269 and see where you go from there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 29th December 2009, 09:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

just rang before going up to see if they had courtesy car this is what he had to say about the situation

"yeah we have Honda Jazz's in they're the only cars we use. to be honest with 80k on the clock i'd say it was just wear and tear on the clutch and no warranty would cover it - there is no part on the clutch pedal being changed that would make the clutch slip within 2/300 miles apart from the criuse control switch and that would have been checked"

so seems he's straight on his offensive foot
i can't accept a Honda Jazz as my gear that i fit in the civic boot on a daily basis WILL NOT fit in a Jazz as it barely fits in the civic!

what the hell can i do now?! go to independant and use Honda parts and forget about trying for warranty? i'm stuck in a ***** place right now

please help!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 29th December 2009, 18:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Oh well. Dead
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 30th December 2009, 20:26

Car: Accord 2.0 i-Vtec+ 1.4 i-DSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie_Aaron View Post
just rang before going up to see if they had courtesy car this is what he had to say about the situation

"yeah we have Honda Jazz's in they're the only cars we use. to be honest with 80k on the clock i'd say it was just wear and tear on the clutch and no warranty would cover it - there is no part on the clutch pedal being changed that would make the clutch slip within 2/300 miles apart from the criuse control switch and that would have been checked"

so seems he's straight on his offensive foot
i can't accept a Honda Jazz as my gear that i fit in the civic boot on a daily basis WILL NOT fit in a Jazz as it barely fits in the civic!

what the hell can i do now?! go to independant and use Honda parts and forget about trying for warranty? i'm stuck in a ***** place right now

please help!
Hi Geordie,
We're not dead (...lucky for us!). But your call for help: ? What can we do? We can only advise and not judge the situation from a distance.
If the dealer says they checked the CC switch:
- reason for not believing them ?
- if not: hard or impossible to prove they didn't
- if you don't trust the situation: you can give it a try at a different Honda dealer and maybe just letting him check first if the CC switch is positioned correct.
- the Jazz: the boot seems rather big to me, but we can not see what you have to carry with you. Did you try fitting your stuff in a Jazz?
I feel with you, but I'm sorry I (we) can't do more.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 31st December 2009, 17:44 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

ahah no not the forum - i meant the car is now dead

LUCKYly (for me) a mate has just broken his leg in 3 places on the ice so i've got his 330ci whilst i save the 750 lol
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 31st December 2009, 22:25

the mileage of the car makes it a little harder to process a successful claim to honda but if you were to look at the cc switch attched to the clutch pedal box there should be verry little of the sensor screwed down towards the pedal. a problem with earlyer civics was that this was screwed too far towards the pedal and litteraly applying the clutch slightly all the time. it is possible that it was over adjusted at time of reparing the clutch pedal squeek but i am certain the technition would of been aware of the problems associated with the switch.
good luck in your claim but like i say, the mileage is going to be the sticking point!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th January 2010, 21:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

ok this is weird....

was desperate for acar today so just thought i'd try the civic....and boom worked PERFECTLY. clutch would NOT slip no matter how hard i gave it some (just to make sure i wasn't goign crazy)

so what could it be now? obviously something other than the clutch - but now the clutch has 100% been damaged by whatever is wrong....any ideas?!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th February 2010, 13:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

well i've saved the 604.96 that an independant garage wanted for the honda part clutch and fitting - and just had a call saying its the flywheel thats knacked and the clutch is only worn........

i can't afford another 500+ so jsut told him to put the clutch in as im due some money in a few months so i'll replace both clutch and flywheel then....... is there noway i can get honda to replace the flywheel underwarranty?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 19th February 2010, 13:06

Mine too

I had the squeaky clutch pedal on my 57 Civic Diesel which was replaced under warranty last month. Not long after this work I noticed clutch slip in 5th and 6th at the usual revs - this after 26,000 miles. Took it back to the dealer that did the work only to find they did nothing because they claimed it was not slipping. Tried another dealer and they initially said the same until I went out with their tester who was ragging it in the lower gears despite me saying that it happened in higher gears (as it usually does!). Agreed then that it was slipping although not every time which I had to agree with. Booked in next week and inspection confirmed not worn with no noticeable defect. Honda agreed to replace clutch under warranty although it was in for three days.

The new clutch seems to have a completely different feel to the original. It engages much more quickly and fiercely. Been driving it for a couple of days now and still not 100% used to it. Have they changed the clutch?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page