Other Floor pan noise / resonance - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 17:35 Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to matt_c_hill
Floor pan noise / resonance

Hi guys.

I've done a search but can't seem to find this on the forum and wondered if anyone else has the same problem...

When i picked up my car 3 years ago there was a low pitched resonance on only 1 or 2 roads in my area. it wasn't terrible so i've ignored it and put it down to road surface.

Recently i travelled down part of the m42 towards birmingham and even with the radio on it sounded like i was swimming with a group of whales!!!
so i turned stereo off and the noise for sure was a resonance of the floor pan. this was created from the poor road surface i was driving on as it also gave alot of tyre noise but still should have been designed around by Honda.

This now worries me as my car is 3.5 years old so if there has been alot of resonance of the floor pan which i've left un-noticed it could have caused a structural issue somewhere.

i would like to know if anyone else gets this vibration on certain road surfaces and also if the dealerships recognise this as an issue.

i will be in touch with the dealership soon and may have to take them out to one of the roads for proof. Am i now going to get stung by the non-warranty fun?

Cheers,

Matt

IMAGE - imagine looking round thinking 1 of these was overtaking you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resident-killer-whales_154.jpg (436.5 KB, 206 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 18:24

Car: 2013 suzuki swift sport
DON'T TELL HONDA at the next service, they will harpoon the poor defenseless thing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 18:46
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8i SP LHD, Milano Red
Send a message via Skype™ to hurricane
check this out, did it sound like this?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 19:01

I may have had the same noise, it has annoyed me since having the car new (2006). As you say only happens on the same bit of road, for me it was a rather steep hill. I think I may have found what is causing it only by accident, but can't check it out untill the snow has cleared.

If you take the large access cover from below the engine (Five 10mm bolts) the exhaust has a thin tinny like shield that would make the type of noise that I was getting, I easily bent it by hand and put a crease across the corner to give it some stiffness. I can only hope this may be my solution and yours too.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 19:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

i'll have a look at that on the ramps at work. Cheers, will let you know if it cures the problem.

that video was funny! although i doubt the guys laying the M42 were keen fans of the north atlantic pod's album!! lol

Chip - you serious about not telling Honda or is that just a lead into your harpoon pun? lol
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 21:27

Car: 2013 suzuki swift sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_c_hill View Post
i'll have a look at that on the ramps at work. Cheers, will let you know if it cures the problem.

that video was funny! although i doubt the guys laying the M42 were keen fans of the north atlantic pod's album!! lol

Chip - you serious about not telling Honda or is that just a lead into your harpoon pun? lol
I have to try at least?!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 23:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

lol give you that 1!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 16th January 2010, 10:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well i had my car on the ramps last night. Removed the plastic cover from underneath the car. There is an exhaust shield attached to this which i bent a bit to put some form into it but no luck i'm afraid. Went on the usual bit of road where it makes the noise and it still did it. Might try filming it to so others can hear the sound. Did u have any luck t0ny0k?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 16th January 2010, 13:33
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
matt,

I have a feeling it just might be your tyres. The Civic has a fairly simple rear suspension (twist beam) whose design involves some fairly large and stiff bushes where it attaches to the car (under the rear seats). Noise generated by the tyres is easily transmitted through these bushes.

As the car has evolved, the design of the bushes has changed very slightly. The 06 cars are the worst, and from 07 the noise is a tiny bit better (but still very loud).

Noisy tyres make for a noisy car. And as your tyres wear, expect the noise to increase. I wonder if all you are hearing is the combination of a certain road surface on a tyre worn to a certain level, healthily transmitted into the floor pan by the rear suspension bushes.

rearsusp.PNG
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th January 2010, 22:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Pottsy.

I guess you're right as i can't see much else it could be. i suppose i'll get on with my fog lights, clutch replacement and suspension knocks then... lol

Cheers for the replies!

Last edited by matt_c_hill; 18th January 2010 at 22:03. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th January 2010, 22:58
Supporter

i have the sound also, it's a 2006 model, summer tyres, lots of noise when cruisin' at 70-80 km/h. Now i have winter tyres, brand new, the noise is almost gone now, so buy silence tyres(= expensive), it's the only solution, my dealer confirmed it....
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th January 2010, 10:23

Matt, sorry I have been so long replying, the noise that I had has now gone after bending that exhaust shield. Also has other members have said, I replaced my tyres with Continental Contacts and it made a world of difference, had these on my merc and was always happy with the low road noise. Also had the front shocks replaced a few months ago and now they have bedded in the suspension is quiet and the car is enjoyeable to drive. I now have the car that I should have had when I purchased it new from honda, not having to spend time trying to sort out all the problems myself or getting done under warranty
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 31st January 2010, 13:30 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply... which exhaust shield did you have to bend? i took the plastic floor cover off and there was one attached to that which i bent but made no difference.

I also think i need my front suspension changing as i get all sorts of knocks and clunks whilst driving. only problem is my car is now out of warranty so think honda may try and charge me for this even though so many have needed it done.

I love the civic but at times its so tempted to sell it as it's really not the car i thought it would be with all these little frustrations.

I'm just about to have my clutch done and need new fog lights due to them smashing like so many others.

Think thats enough of a rant for today lol.

Matt
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 31st January 2010, 18:51

To gain access to the exhaust shield I bent, you need to remove in my case(I assume yours is the same) the metal cover underneath the engine. The shield is then on the left side of the exhaust as I remember it, as I basically just put my hand in to feel for anything I thought my have been loose.
When I was driving the noise seemed to be comming from the LH wheel arch, but when in the passenger seat the noise was directly in front of me, hence why I ended up looking where I did. My car runs smoothly over the road now and the suspension rides the bumps effeciently with no knocking or squeaking, unlike before having the shocks replaced.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 31st January 2010, 19:05

Car: civic 1.8 sport black
i too had a loud humming noise on my 08 plate civic sport 1.8 coming from the the rear. suspected the tyres so when the front needed changing i swopped the backs to the front and new tyres on the rear. sure enough cured on the rear only to be transfered to the front so it was the tyres. could not live with the noise on the front so put new on the front. annoyed as the was a lot of miles left in them. the mechanic pointed out that one had worn unevenly which caused the noise. they were michelin pilot primacy. I changed them for 4 avon ZZ3's and what a difference better handling but best of all no noise. peace at last. will keep an eye on these tyres in case it was a problem with the civic that caused the uneven wear.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 31st January 2010, 22:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

hmmm thats interesting as i have the michelin pilots sports still on the back from when i got the car. changed to bridgestone's on the front.

Tony - did you have to pay to have your shocks changed or did honda pick up the tab?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st February 2010, 18:19

They were replaced under warranty, two weeks before the 3 years was up, also got my rear discs and pads replaced at the same time. Rear shocks were replaced after six monhs from new.
On previous service checks they had just repositioned the front shock bump stops which just came adrift within a couple of weeks.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page