Trim Boot trim - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 26th January 2010, 10:38 Thread Starter

Car: 2008 2.2 SE Milano Red
Boot trim

Car a year old now and the trim is coming away behind the passenger's head - rear offside. The offending panel embraces an air bag. Tried to push it back but it no longer aligns properly with the black trim below - the panel that contains the boot light. Have asked for warranty repair since I am not keen to fiddle further when there is an air bag involved.

Anyone else suffered this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th January 2010, 10:32

no, but the trim that is on the inside of the boot (bit that goes around the rear windscreen) has sagged at the bottom in the middle, so when you look out of the back window you can acutally see the following!

Hope you get it sorted. I'm not sure about the quality of the trim in the 07- civics!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 28th January 2010, 11:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by dersam View Post
no, but the trim that is on the inside of the boot (bit that goes around the rear windscreen) has sagged at the bottom in the middle, so when you look out of the back window you can acutally see the following!

Hope you get it sorted. I'm not sure about the quality of the trim in the 07- civics!
Hmmm, that doesn't look good. Will let you know how I get on - first service in just over one week.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th February 2010, 15:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Driver View Post
Hmmm, that doesn't look good. Will let you know how I get on - first service in just over one week.
OK, so the car has been in today. They refitted the trim but - guess what? - it had sprung out again by the time I got home (20 miles).

Now they are ordering new trim panels having stated that they've never come across this problem before. Watch this space......
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 5th February 2010, 15:34

Car: FRV EX 2.2
Quote:

My 56 plate 07MY does the exactly the same thing. It doesn't really bother me though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2010, 15:19 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car went back today for two new trim panels under warranty. Speedwell Honda of Paignton are very good - no quibbles and job done efficiently. Asked tech. man if they'd had this trim come adrift on any other Civics and he said: yes, a few. He went on to say that the clips 'get weak'.

I hope that's fixed it for me. Time will tell.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th April 2010, 12:16

Send a message via MSN to mmw109
I have exactly the same problem, in exactly the same place. My dealer is being a bit coy about whether this is a warranty job (I've had the car just under 10 years, noticed the issue a couple of months ago though).

Do you have a dog guard perchance ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th April 2010, 12:38

was that 10 years or 10 months? Nope, we've not even had the parcel shelf out!

I've just had a call from Honda to book the car in to replace this (and the clutch box for the clicking clutch problem) and it's all done under guarentee - our car is 18 months old now (yes, been waiting 4 months to get the bits in!!!)

Last edited by dersam; 13th April 2010 at 12:38. Reason: typos
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th April 2010, 15:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmw109 View Post
I have exactly the same problem, in exactly the same place. My dealer is being a bit coy about whether this is a warranty job (I've had the car just under 10 years, noticed the issue a couple of months ago though).

Do you have a dog guard perchance ?
No, perfectly standard boot area. My dealer accepted it as a warranty job with no quibble. But then my car is only just over a year old - presume you must have an earlier Civic model given that it is 10 years old.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th April 2010, 16:49

Send a message via MSN to mmw109
No, don't know what happened there - It's 3 years (not 10).

The dealer's just phoned me back now, and they sound like they've had a mess around and managed to make the trim stay in place, but he didn't seem too confident. It seems that the dog guard exerts downward pressure on the trim which pulls it away from the Body. Given that I had the parking sensors and camera fitted originally, then there is a good chance that the original dealer may have damaged the clips, or just that taking them on and off a couple of times, meant that 3 years later, they've given way.

He's not charged me this time, but I think his trick with that is that when I go back I'll be out of warranty
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th April 2010, 16:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmw109 View Post
No, don't know what happened there - It's 3 years (not 10).

The dealer's just phoned me back now, and they sound like they've had a mess around and managed to make the trim stay in place, but he didn't seem too confident. It seems that the dog guard exerts downward pressure on the trim which pulls it away from the Body. Given that I had the parking sensors and camera fitted originally, then there is a good chance that the original dealer may have damaged the clips, or just that taking them on and off a couple of times, meant that 3 years later, they've given way.

He's not charged me this time, but I think his trick with that is that when I go back I'll be out of warranty
In my experience, Honda are pretty good about warranties even if you are a bit outside of 3 years. So it's always worth pressurising the dealer (politely!).

I also had parking sensors fitted when new so your point about broken clips might well be valid.

Good luck!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th April 2010, 16:54

if you have reported it whilist under warantee and they could never quite resolve the problem, they will have to fix it when it's out of warantee as the fault developed whilst under warantee.

As John said, they seem to be ok as long as you are polite and point out the fault was raised whilst under warantee but never actually resolved. If it sags again, report it as soon as you can is my advice.

Last edited by dersam; 13th April 2010 at 16:57.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2010, 14:55
BLN
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 Sport
Quote:

dersam, I have a problem like yours, it's the exactly samme place, but the trim are not sagged here, it's bended upright, so when you look throug the back window from outside, you can see the trim sticking up in the middle. It's '06 Civic, but just discovered the problem now, a few days after I have a shop giving it a Dinitrol wax treatment.

Do you ever find the reason for you problem?

I have a suspicion that either the wax (which I assume is hot when it is sprayed on), or it is the sun, that got the trim to go out of shape.

Does anyone knows, if there should be a clip holding the trim in place at the middle?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2010, 16:38

Exclamation sagging boot trim

ours sagged because of hot sun on the back of the car (in the UK!!). There are no clips in the middle to hold it up and our replacement has started to sag again.Terrible design flaw if you ask me as plastic like that will sag or expand and bend up as yours has. If you are still in warantee drop it in for replacement.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page