Transmission Need some advice with Honda warranty (Clutch issue) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th February 2010, 19:17 Thread Starter

Need some advice with Honda warranty (Clutch issue)

Hi Everyone

I have a 2008 Type R GT with 27,000 miles on the clock, 1 owner. Last February i took the car down to the garage, as the clutch and gearbox just didn't feel right. The car would jump a lot when pulling away, and sometimes trying to get it in to third was a nightmare, to the point where i would skip it all together and go to fourth.

The garage advised me that they needed to replace a small pin which had fallen out with the clutch and that was it.
I collected the car, which felt a little better, but over time just got worse and worse. So it is due for a service and i thought i might as well get all the bits sorted out as well. It had diagnostics run on it, and it came back that there was an issue with the clutch and gearbox, and that it was all connected, and i was told that they would speak to Honda. I waited two weeks and ended up having to call them to find out what the score was, and they asked for the car to come in.

So i took the car down to the garage this morning, so they could strip the clutch down to take some pictures to send off to Honda. Got a phone call this afternoon, to be informed that the clutch plate has shattered, which according to Honda can only happen because of my driving style (Do Honda track all their customer) and that Honda have rejected the claim. So they want me to pay 728 to replace it. What i also found out today is that they replaced further parts on the clutch, replacing the cylinder and something else (can't remember the other part) when i took it back in Feb that they never informed me about!

To say that i am disgusted with Honda at this point is a complete understatement, and i will never touch one of their cars again. The funny thing is that i spoke with the salesman because i was interested in getting a Black one.

So i want to know where i stand with this situation, as i do not feel that this is down to my driving style, and that this should be included under my warranty, considering that i took the car to them a year a go and told them that something wasn't right. I dont understand how you can build a car like the Type R that rev's to 8000, and be told that i am driving it to hard. I owned a Cooper S before this, and had no problems with my driving style.

Also when i first picked the car up, i asked the service guy if i need to run the car in, and was told no, drive it as normal, because we have found that they get better MPG figures.

Thanks for any help or suggestions that people can offer.

MarG

p.s

Just found some paper work from when i first took the car to the dealership, and it is dated the 18/12/2008 (I brought the car in April), and the work required was:

Check gearbox / Clutch - stalling symptoms on hill.

So 7 months in to the cars life, i told them that something was wrong but was always told that the car was fine.... what more could i do if the garage gave me that advice? After the first visit i was under the impression that that was a characteristic of the car, until it started to get worse again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th February 2010, 19:21
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th February 2010, 19:30
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Have you spoke to HUK directly and informed them of your circumstances - HUK might not know what your dealer did in Feb

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th February 2010, 20:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the quick replies

The dealer advised me that when i took delivery of my car, those parts for the 3rd gear issue, where already being used in the factory.

I called Honda UK with the extra info, about going back in December, but the representative i spoke with Sarah Turner really didn't care what i was telling her, and told me that she spoke with the dealer, who advised that they couldn't find any faults at the time, and that the technician at HUK, has said that the only way the clutch plate could get to the state it was, is because of my driving.

Firstly of course the dealer is going to say that, as they have only just been able to find it on the third attempt. I dont keep taking the car back to them for fun! Secondly i'm not surprised if the plate isn't in good shape, i have been driving around in a car which has had a serious fault for a long time, but no one would listen to me!

I was given a Civic 5 door for a courtesy car, and it is such a pleasure to drive compared to my R, and really proves to me just how bad mine has been.

To be treated by Honda the way i have after spending 20k with them, is awful. I have never had the image of a company so badly damaged in such a short space of time, and i can't wait to be able to part ex it, against something else.

Thanks again
MarG
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th February 2010, 23:29
MP2

I found HUK a complete and utter waste of space, they quickly returned my calls and were courteous but were not helpful at all. They basically just reiterated whatever the dealer had told me.

I had one of the earlier CTRs and complained about the 3rd gear synchromesh issues before it became widely acknowledged as a problem. I had a similar response 'that it was a characteristic of the car and that I wasn't changing gear correctly'. When they eventually agreed to strip the gearbox they said the problem was caused by my poor driving style (never having had a problem with previous cars). HUK made out they were doing me a huge favour (good will gesture) by doing the work under warranty.

They have been just as useless over issues with the paintwork (rust and corrosion). My experience of Honda and HUK is very negative. They are far too complacent.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th February 2010, 16:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi MP2

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and i am glad that i am not the only one that feels this way towards Honda UK. For the life of me i can not understand why a company that depends on customer like you and I, to keep buying their cars, has treated us in such a bad manner.

I wouldn't mind, before i got the R i brought 3 cars from another dealer all getting more expensive. I stayed with them for 8 years, before moving to Honda. So now Honda has done them self's out of at least another 3 years business, all for the sake of a part that probably costs them no more then 100.... what great business sense!

I have already turned two people away from Honda, once i told them about the way i had been treated by HUK. My mother and father in law were going to buy a Civic 5-door, and my mate was going to go for a Type R, but has just brought a Golf GTi today instead!

If i truly felt that this was my fault, i would hold my hands up, and just ask them to repair the car, but i dont see why i should have to pay for it. The Dealer was notified that an issue was there over 14 months ago, and it was only on the third attempt that they actually found it! Again how is this my fault!?

Thanks
MarG
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th February 2010, 16:19
The Talented Mr. Robbieee

Car: Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGera332 View Post
Hi MP2

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and i am glad that i am not the only one that feels this way towards Honda UK. For the life of me i can not understand why a company that depends on customer like you and I, to keep buying their cars, has treated us in such a bad manner.

I wouldn't mind, before i got the R i brought 3 cars from another dealer all getting more expensive. I stayed with them for 8 years, before moving to Honda. So now Honda has done them self's out of at least another 3 years business, all for the sake of a part that probably costs them no more then 100.... what great business sense!

I have already turned two people away from Honda, once i told them about the way i had been treated by HUK. My mother and father in law were going to buy a Civic 5-door, and my mate was going to go for a Type R, but has just brought a Golf GTi today instead!

If i truly felt that this was my fault, i would hold my hands up, and just ask them to repair the car, but i dont see why i should have to pay for it. The Dealer was notified that an issue was there over 14 months ago, and it was only on the third attempt that they actually found it! Again how is this my fault!?

Thanks
MarG
Did you see the pictures that your dealer took of your "shattered" clutch. I would ask to see the pictures.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th February 2010, 16:33
MP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGera332 View Post
Hi MP2

Thanks
MarG
My job means many people I speak to see me in my car. Loads of people ask what it's like. I've had Hondas before and quite a few people have bought on my recommendation.

I've definitely put people off buying Honda after my experiences, most are surprised not just at the issues with the car but HUK's response (dismissive and patronizing).

I simply became a pain in the ass to the dealer and HUK, with the 3rd gear problem, it paid off in the end. I'm going to do the same with the paintwork issues.

Good luck fella.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th February 2010, 16:44
MP2

huk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 15th February 2010, 00:41

Car: 2007 2.2 5Dr Black Civic
i think a lot of people think honda and reliability comes in, unfortunately civic is a big let down. funny how people in the 90's avoided ford's (made in uk) and now they have been rated one of the most reliable cars in germany, focus (built in germany). need i say more? the phrase "a good worker never blames his tool" in honda case bad worker and bad parts!

Last edited by sharky7866; 15th February 2010 at 00:43.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Bugs, faults and irritations (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page